Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Looking at the standings, MN is undefeated at home and. 500 on the road. That is the good news. However it is the teams that we have lost to (granted two of those teams always play us tough in their houses) that worry me.
    So in WCHA play, the teams the Gophs are .500 on the road against are a combined 2-12-2, which means they have only gotten 1 point against teams other than MN. I don't quite see how they should be in the top 5 in the Poles with that record.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
      So in WCHA play, the teams the Gophs are .500 on the road against are a combined 2-12-2, which means they have only gotten 1 point against teams other than MN. I don't quite see how they should be in the top 5 in the Poles with that record.
      <---look at me not caring about the Poles/polls/Pohls. They cannot help us get to the national title. No, reallllly look.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Looking at how this Gophers squad has progressed thus far in adjusting lines and fine tuning fundamentals such as special teams, transition game, puck possession, forechecking, play execution and shot totals, etc., I'm not at all concerned about a swoon phase this season with this amount of depth and talent.

If the Gophers had a month of organized team practices before starting the season, I might pay more attention to the polls. But the polls are not an very accurate indicator of actual potential at this stage. Which ever team is playing their best hockey in March...wins.

They've still got to work on goal production and D coverage lapses, but I expect this team to be sorted out on lines and firing on all cylinders by the break. If they can execute with collective energy and team work for 60 minutes every game, there is no doubt in my mind this team is a serious contender for a national title.

I agree Koho on Bjugs using his size a little better around the net. He tends to distance himself for a shot rather than storm the net and use his size advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          <---look at me not caring about the Poles/polls/Pohls. They cannot help us get to the national title. No, reallllly look.
          And looking good in the Pohls wasn't my point. I mentioned them because the fact they have stayed at #2 these past few weeks did not seem to match their play. But at the same time, I would like to see them high in the Poles not because I care how they rank, but because I know that is reflects how they have been playing.

And I admit I had extreme expectations, starting out at a high level and staying high, given they started fast last year with a lot of the same players. I expected Bjugs to be dominating in most games and expected to be looking forward to each weekend as much as I did last year. I also expected a slight drop in BC, with the young D, as I obviously see them as one of the main contenders. Instead, I feel more Scoobi-esque about each weekend (old Scooby, not that one we saw for a few weeks earlier.). I see BC rolling and their fans raving about Geadreau the way I expected to hear us talking about Bjugs. (And of course getting McCoshen to commit just keeps it rolling for them. Not that I can complain about MN's future projections.) I have been watching hockey plenty long to know what really matters is the intensity of the game you're playing in March. It is mostly about momentum in the playoffs, and whether a team can win that last game is most important. And that teams like No Dak tend to start slower and build momentum and that could be the way this season turns out. But on the other hand, I thought this could be the year they dominate for much of the year and it is exciting to watch for the whole year. I realize I am expecting too much. And that I am mainly just realizing I have to adjust to more realistic expectations. I need to realize they probably aren't as deep at forward as last year (although if the majority of returnees can learn to make a step up from where they were last year, that shouldn't matter.) I don;t think the sky is falling or they are in trouble. I just would like to see a few more games where they turn it on for the whole game.
          Last edited by Koho; 11-12-2012, 11:34 AM.

Comment

did lucia say anything out of the ordinary tonight? specifically on why he is continues to play 8 defensemen in the lineup?

Comment

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
              did lucia say anything out of the ordinary tonight? specifically on why he is continues to play 8 defensemen in the lineup?
              Not so much about the 8 defensemen as such, but he did say that Warning will be out again

Comment

Have we ever gotten any kind of news about what exactly Warning's injury is?

I don't even remember hearing the generic "upper body" or "lower body" injury type thing.
                Originally posted by CavalryNate
                Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                  Have we ever gotten any kind of news about what exactly Warning's injury is?

I don't even remember hearing the generic "upper body" or "lower body" injury type thing.
                  Makes me think it MIGHT be concussion-related...but pure speculation on my part.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Makes me think it MIGHT be concussion-related...but pure speculation on my part.
                    Yep, I was thinking the same thing.
                    Originally posted by CavalryNate
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
                      Because those 8 defensemen stay in the lineup must say a lot about Michaelson and Horn not being able to make it.

Comment

MN needs to stop letting the other team dictate the style play.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                        And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                        Twenty red lights in his honor
                        Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

The ladies set the record with 22 straight wins. 84 goals scored this season, 8 allowed. Nice to see them continue rolling.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            The ladies set the record with 22 straight wins. 84 goals scored this season, 8 allowed. Nice to see them continue rolling.
                            They seem like they are on a complete other level from the rest of Div. 1 women's hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                              They seem like they are on a complete other level from the rest of Div. 1 women's hockey.
                              There's a handful of very strong teams out East that would play them very tough...Cornell especially.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                There's a handful of very strong teams out East that would play them very tough...Cornell especially.
                                Doubt that. Everyone knows West is best.

Comment

Working...
                                X