Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Good luck for the Holiday Inn. I've tried booking there for this year's F5 and the F4 when it was here, and they claimed no rooms available both times.....50 weeks in advance (which is the outermost limit a hotel will book). I've stayed at the Crowne, and will be staying there again this year. Solid hotel, and within walking distance of everything.
    Also already sold out. Crazy

I also will be visiting my niece, who lives on campus at the University, so I might also stay near campus, rather than near the X.
    Last edited by duper; 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Can the Gophs avoid a split?
      I hope so. I'm thinking 3pts would be acceptable and anything less would be a major letdown. If they split, they will be some major outcry from the fans and, I'd say, rightfully so as that would be cause for concern, IMO.
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
        If they split, they will be some major outcry from the fans and, I'd say, rightfully so as that would be cause for concern, IMO.
        Will the sky fall if they split?
        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
          Will the sky fall if they split?
          IMO, yes. I know it's only 1pt less than a win and a tie, but I think the fans will go nuts if the Gophers don't sweep or take 3pts minimum.

I personally won't panic(it's weird playing @AA and the Gophers just don't have it all together yet), but you know their will be plenty of people in full on panic mode if the Gophers split up there. I would be pretty concerned with that kind of outcome though.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I think folks have been overly harsh on M Reilly. Its tough moving from the BCHL to the WCHA. He's got flashes of greatness, I bet he just needs time to polish himself.
            I agree. He will be a great player for the Gophs. As a freshman D it will take him a little time to make the adjustment, but once he does everyone here will be singing his praises - just like they are beginning to do now for Ben Marshall.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              I agree. He will be a great player for the Gophs. As a freshman D it will take him a little time to make the adjustment, but once he does everyone here will be singing his praises - just like they are beginning to do now for Ben Marshall.
              I hope you're right. I was VERY critical of Marshall last year and now I couldn't be happier to know he is moving back to D this week!

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I hope you're right. I was VERY critical of Marshall last year and now I couldn't be happier to know he is moving back to D this week!
                Funny how people see things differently. Last year, I thought Marshall was often the best freshman on the ice...and in the end, not far off Rau in that. M Reilly is our best freshman this year. Which says something about Reilly...but it also says something about our freshmen forwards.
                Go Gophers!

Comment

M Reilly is our best freshman this year. Which says something about Reilly...but it also says something about our freshmen forwards.
                  Yeah our freshman forwards don't exactly put the fear into anyone yet, next year's class should make up for that and then some, and you add in Connor Reilly who supposedly has some offensive talent and that class should be outstanding and deep.

Anyone hear if Warning is making the trip? That will be huge to get him back into the lineup.

Comment

Funny how people see things differently. Last year, I thought Marshall was often the best freshman on the ice...and in the end, not far off Rau in that. M Reilly is our best freshman this year. Which says something about Reilly...but it also says something about our freshmen forwards.
                    The only problem I had with Marshall last year was when he seemed to almost lose concentration. I saw way too many times where he couldn't hold the zone on what should have been easy plays, IMO. His little spin moves were getting him into trouble in his own end at times as well and seems to have cleaned that up this year.

I don't have too much beef with M. Reilly. His defensive miscues have been mostly due to the fact that Alt has left him high and dry. I think it's only a matter of time until the kid starts finding the back of the net on a consistent basis. He has a shift on the PP last Saturday in Kato where he was by far the best player on the ice. We were really surprised he didn't score a goal on that shift.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                      Anyone hear if Warning is making the trip? That will be huge to get him back into the lineup.
                      No, he couldn't make it through a full practice yesterday and it sounds like they might be questioning his availability for the sconnie series now even.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I like M Reilly, I think playing D as a Freshman in the WCHA is a tall task for anyone and he will get better and better (patience is needed). Next year he should be very solid, his speed and hands with the puck are top notch.

Comment

No, he couldn't make it through a full practice yesterday and it sounds like they might be questioning his availability for the sconnie series now even.

When did he get hurt? Was it the Tech series?

I never remember Warning even getting hurt during the game, hopefully not concussion related.

Comment

Marshall has slick moves. Like a lot of young players during their first year with better competition, they got him in trouble. He would deke and fake and spin his way right into a corner. He seems to have stopped that.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

I had some somewhat critical comments on Reilly, in that I said it didn't look like he was the second freshman coming of LeLegia (not that that is really very critical.) I thought Marshall was better than most gave him credit for last year, and Alt not quite as good as some thought. People definitely interpret D play differently. I think people who haven't played much, look at the offense they generate and look for glaring errors. Others look as much at positioning, angles, shot-blocking, break-out passes etc.

As for how good Reilly is, and if he is the best freshman. I've only seen 3 games. But when I watched Skjei closely, in one game, I saw some solid D, without major errors. He is not as flashy offensively as Reilly, but I am not sure I would say Reilly is clearly the best freshman given Skjei's play. (Although he may be by the end of the year, or could be as low as third is Skjei and Wilcox take off.) Reilly has tremendous offensive upside, but this weekend on the powerplay, there were times he showed the poise of a rookie. Making an ill advised play or getting rid of the puck too quickly. That resulted in a loss of possession a couple times. They weren't blantant mistakes, just rushes when he had more time. I remember being impressed with LeLeggia's poise as a frosh last year (but maybe that was later in the season) and haven't seen a game like that out of Reilly yet. In no way am I saying he isn't playing very well. And it is rare to have a D who can adjust as quickly as LeLeggia, but his play last year and Reilly's points from last year meant I had extreme expectations (or really, hopes) for him. And my guess is that anyone being critical of his play are comparing his play to the very high expectations for him, rather than to play of freshman D in general.

Comment

I need advice!

I will splurge on an upgrade for the winter. I have a plasma TV and have heard HD makes a huge difference. Do I get that, or the sports package, which allows me to see more college games? (I already get BTN, whatever Versus is called, the UMD games that are on local and some Bemidji games.)

SO: HD or more Hockey? (Don't think I can slip both past the wife.)

Comment

Working...
                                X