Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
    The advantage of the legacy recruits we've landed is the cost is advantageous given the talent. Which allows for better depth down the road since you are essentially grabbing scholarship worthy kids way under market value for what they could get and you can use more scholarship elsewhere.

I'm sure Tyler Nanne will end up there at some point since Grandpa will probably be footing the bill and it limits any risk exposure to the Gophers.

The Vannelli kid is a question mark because of academics. He's a kid that will commit to a place and then it will be fingers crossed if he can do enough to eventually get admitted. No doubt the talent is there though.

Don't really need to say much about Gersich. He's been dinged up but I'd like to see more progress.

Lance Pitlick's son Rem is a tiny waterbug but has a lot of skill and quickness. Only 10th grader so we'll have to see. He'd be a kid that'd be for much further down the road.

Likely going to come down to the Gophers and Notre Dame for him.
    As always, thanks for the info Hammy
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

From Gophersports
      http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-
      rel/110112aag.html

The NCAA Division I Men's Hockey West Regional is returning to the State of Hockey, NCAA officials announced today.

The University of Minnesota will once again team up with Xcel Energy Center to bring the 2014 West Regional to St. Paul on Saturday, March 29, and Sunday, March 30.

It will be the fifth time in the last six years that the Twin Cities will play host to college hockey's premier event. Mariucci Arena hosted the 2009 West Regional, with Xcel Energy Center hosting the tournament in 2010 and 2012. Xcel Energy Center also hosted the 2011 NCAA Men's Hockey Frozen Four.

Ticket packages for the two-day event are expected to go on sale in the fall of 2013.

Home of the NHL's Minnesota Wild, Xcel Energy Center seats 18,064 for hockey and will also be the site of the inaugural Big Ten Men's Hockey Championship, March 20-22, 2014.
      NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey West Regional

Saturday, March 29, 2014 - Xcel Energy Center - St. Paul, Minn.
      West Regional Semifinal #1
      West Regional Semifinal #2

Sunday, March 30, 2014 - Xcel Energy Center - St. Paul, Minn.
      West Regional Final
      Originally posted by CavalryNate
      Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
      sigpic

Comment

Nice to get the win last night but there is still something "off" with these guys right now. They are fighting through it and grinding out some ugly wins though. I think it has a lot to do with the lines, putting Budish back up on the 1st line should help (and did last night) Haula and Condon should be solid, Isackson doesn't do anything for me though.

Then the 3rd and 4th lines are a mess imo, playing Marshall at wing instead of D is a mistake, he needs to be back on the point. Boyd is solid on the 3rd line, Ambroz meh and Marshall is out of place up at wing. With Warning out it does make it tougher (what is his injury? ) but playing Holl and Marshall at forwards instead of R Reilly or Horn, I don't get it ( are they that bad? )

Comment

Agree about defensemen playing forward, not earning a spot on the blue line should not equal a spot at wing.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
            Agree about defensemen playing forward, not earning a spot on the blue line should not equal a spot at wing.
            agreed.

Maybe they could try Horn up at 3rd line wing and put Marshall back on D again where he belongs.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
              Nice to get the win last night but there is still something "off" with these guys right now. They are fighting through it and grinding out some ugly wins though. I think it has a lot to do with the lines, putting Budish back up on the 1st line should help (and did last night) Haula and Condon should be solid, Isackson doesn't do anything for me though.

Then the 3rd and 4th lines are a mess imo, playing Marshall at wing instead of D is a mistake, he needs to be back on the point. Boyd is solid on the 3rd line, Ambroz meh and Marshall is out of place up at wing. With Warning out it does make it tougher (what is his injury? ) but playing Holl and Marshall at forwards instead of R Reilly or Horn, I don't get it ( are they that bad? )
              Yeah, they just aren't clicking quite yet. Doesn't help when you whiff on a half dozen Grade A opportunities either. I do have the feeling that this team is going to explode offensively as soon as things start clicking though.

Also, agree with everyone on defensemen playing up. We tried it, but it isn't working. Plus, like others have said, all the line changes aren't allowing these guys to develop any chemistry. I understand the injury aspect has made that tough. Time to settle into some regular lines IMO.
              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 11-03-2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                Isackson doesn't do anything for me though.
                He strikes me as a guy worried that if he doesn't score he will get benched and/or demoted so he's squeezing the life out of his stick after a dozens of grade A chances the past few games with no results. I think if he relaxes, gets back to forechecking hard (as he did the first few games) he will start to again product points regardless of which line he's on.

That being said, I have no problem with Buddish back with Rau & Bjugstad.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                Twenty red lights in his honor
                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                  If Lucia doesn't see enough in the other forwards to play them over the players he's moved from the blue line I'll trust him on that decision. I'd rather that it not happen in the grand scheme of things but tDon sees something - I really doubt he's wanted to play Holl/Marshall/Parenteau in that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    If Lucia doesn't see enough in the other forwards to play them over the players he's moved from the blue line I'll trust him on that decision. I'd rather that it not happen in the grand scheme of things but tDon sees something - I really doubt he's wanted to play Holl/Marshall/Parenteau in that spot.
                    Too bad Connor Reilly's out for the year. And Warning not being available doesn't help either.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      He's trying to maximize talent on the ice, and I can see the wisdom in doing that. But I think it is impeding the team in creating chemistry with all the shake ups. I'll admit, the injuries haven't helped.

Comment

IMO, the Gophers are definitely a very talented team, but lacking in the kind of leadership and work ethic that inspired them to the NCAA Frozen Four earlier this year. Last season, Lucia stated more than once, he had never seen a captain with the type of extraordinary work ethic that Taylor Matson demonstrated. He and Jake Hanson were a force from within that pushed many of these same players to dig deeper to reach their potential last season. Zach Budish may be able to emulate that type of leadership, but he has some big shoes to fill.

Tonight, the Gophers played two decent periods of hockey, not three; and that was the difference. They allowed the tenacity of a Mav team hungry for their first WCHA win to take the early lead. In fact, the Gophers rarely played with the lead all weekend! I have to give credit to the Mavs, who in recent years has always managed to play better than their record against the Gophers.

Are the Gophers overrated? I think so, but the polls mean very little this time of year anyway. With so many line changes, the Gophers have their work cut out for them to get all the systems working together and firing on all cylinders. I suspect it will take nearly half a season to get the lines sorted out and establish chemistry as a team, not just an assembly of talented players. I'm personally not thrilled with the D playing F, but they'll get it sorted out..

In the meantime, if they EVER come out looking that pathetic like they did in the first tonight...this team has some serious problems. That was totally unacceptable, lethargic play from the puck drop and it cost them the W.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                          IMO, the Gophers are definitely a very talented team, but lacking in the kind of leadership and work ethic that inspired them to the NCAA Frozen Four earlier this year. Last season, Lucia stated more than once, he had never seen a captain with the type of extraordinary work ethic that Taylor Matson demonstrated. He and Jake Hanson were a force from within that pushed many of these same players to dig deeper to reach their potential last season. Zach Budish may be able to emulate that type of leadership, but he has some big shoes to fill.

Tonight, the Gophers played two decent periods of hockey, not three; and that was the difference. They allowed the tenacity of a Mav team hungry for their first WCHA win to take the early lead. In fact, the Gophers rarely played with the lead all weekend! I have to give credit to the Mavs, who in recent years has always managed to play better than their record against the Gophers.

Are the Gophers overrated? I think so, but the polls mean very little this time of year anyway. With so many line changes, the Gophers have their work cut out for them to get all the systems working together and firing on all cylinders. I suspect it will take nearly half a season to get the lines sorted out and establish chemistry as a team, not just an assembly of talented players. I'm personally not thrilled with the D playing F, but they'll get it sorted out..

In the meantime, if they EVER come out looking that pathetic like they did in the first tonight...this team has some serious problems. That was totally unacceptable, lethargic play from the puck drop and it cost them the W.
                          Harley, couldn't have said it better myself - agree 100%.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post

I've only seen the last three games, but this is exactly what I have seen and have been thinking about after each of those games and was planning to write since last night's game. This team hasn't shown the intensity of last year's team. I think Matson's ethic primarily, but also Hanson's to go 100% at all times did inspire the rest to keep up. Last year, in most of the games (minus some Friday's), they were winning all the races to the puck instead of conceding the puck and waiting for the other team to react, which is what they have been doing way too often. Even if the race wasn't won, it often pressured the opposing team into a mistake. they would just overwhelm teams when they were clicking.

The lack of intensity is especially clear on the PK. Last year, when it was really clicking, they attacked the puck with speed, creating many SH chances. This year they sit and wait. And on the PP, the passing is not nearly as crisp and when a pass is missed, the Gophs often lose the race for the puck.

And it was only because of this intensity from all four lines that they were wearing teams out by the third period (especially by Sat. night) and controlling play. This won't be the case if they don't pick up the pace this year. And the whiffs and miscues we've been seeing seem to diminish when a team is playing at full throttle, and the other team is just trying to not fall behind, rather than have time to really put pressure on because the pace isn't too fast for them. And team defense is much better when all the forwards are back-checking 100% and attacking rather than waiting. That would eliminate a lot of the odd man open situations we've seen develop this year when teams are allowed to set up in the D zone.

This year's team has the talent and speed to play that style of hockey. I would hope that they will learn it through the season. It may even be that this could be one of those teams that just learns it later in the year and peaks at the right time (although I would really like to see them win the McNaughton so would rather see them figure it out early and keep it going). I'm not giving up hope as they have plenty of talent. But I am tempering my expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              He's trying to maximize talent on the ice, and I can see the wisdom in doing that. But I think it is impeding the team in creating chemistry with all the shake ups. I'll admit, the injuries haven't helped.
                              I don't really have a big problem with it. I trust Don to make the right decisions on who to play. And last year was one of the first that I can remember where he didn't shuffle lines regularly through much of the first half the season, and they've had some other pretty good seasons in the past. They will show more "chemistry" if they can pick up the intensity level at each position. Then more passes will start to click.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                I don't really have a big problem with it. I trust Don to make the right decisions on who to play. And last year was one of the first that I can remember where he didn't shuffle lines regularly through much of the first half the season, and they've had some other pretty good seasons in the past. They will show more "chemistry" if they can pick up the intensity level at each position. Then more passes will start to click.
                                I agree with that. It just seems like there has been more shuffling than in years past, but it probably just seems that way because we've had two defenders playing up at forward at points.

Comment

Working...
                                X