PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Greyeagle
12-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Kick in the arse this team needs.

5mn_Major
12-01-2012, 10:38 AM

In need of a serious riot act. Weak effort last night. Maybe some heavy statement to the team at the end of the first half.

SanTropez
12-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Thoughts from last night:

Budish makes a really dumb no-look pass that ends up in the back of our net for the winning goal, w-t-f.

Please coach Lucia, quit playing D at forward and especially Parenteau, he needs to be playing D every weekend. I don't care who has to sit (1st round pick 7th round pick doesn't matter) play Parenteau where he belongs. That crap is getting old.

Sorry but Isaackson doesn't belong on the 1st line (yeah he got a goal, grats) but he does not belong on the 1st line. He is a 3rd line type player, play him there.

Bjugs needs to sense when the team is struggling and put the team on his back during those stretches, he hasn't yet. Take over a period you are bigger and stronger than most.

Playing 2 freshman at D every weekend does nothing for me, I don't care how much potential they have, they are still freshman who make big mistakes. Sit 'em a game or 2 and see if that helps. Our D late last year seemed to gel and play solid, we still have all them on the team so play them.

Quit rolling 4 lines late in a game that we are behind by 1 goal, it is ok to shorten the bench and play the guys who can actually score.

Win tonight and all will be forgiven. :)

Koho
12-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Thoughts from last night:

Budish makes a really dumb no-look pass that ends up in the back of our net for the winning goal, w-t-f.

Please coach Lucia, quit playing D at forward and especially Parenteau, he needs to be playing D every weekend. I don't care who has to sit (1st round pick 7th round pick doesn't matter) play Parenteau where he belongs. That crap is getting old.

Sorry but Isaackson doesn't belong on the 1st line (yeah he got a goal, grats) but he does not belong on the 1st line. He is a 3rd line type player, play him there.

Bjugs needs to sense when the team is struggling and put the team on his back during those stretches, he hasn't yet. Take over a period you are bigger and stronger than most.

Playing 2 freshman at D every weekend does nothing for me, I don't care how much potential they have, they are still freshman who make big mistakes. Sit 'em a game or 2 and see if that helps. Our D late last year seemed to gel and play solid, we still have all them on the team so play them.

Quit rolling 4 lines late in a game that we are behind by 1 goal, it is ok to shorten the bench and play the guys who can actually score.

Win tonight and all will be forgiven. :)

Best pass of the night and Budish doesn't even get credited with an assist.

Holl does play forward better than Parenteau, and Parenteau is a very good D.

I agree, Bjugs has the skills to take over more than he does, (although he really isn't that big compared to this team). And most of the top players are on a slower pace than last year, rather than stepping up the pace with another year under their belts.

Tough call on who plays D. Mike Reilly seems to be getting better every weekend. Nothing really wrong with Skjei's play either. I have a tough time being too critical. It is a tough juggling act for the coaches.

And with Serratore being one of the most consistent players, its hard to keep him off the ice. Even if he doesn't score, his play can motivate the next line on the ice, and often seems to generate an offensive zone faceoff for them.

The biggest thing is none of these things listed. It is inconsistent effort. They outplayed Omaha in the first and I felt good about them after they came back to score 2. But they didn't respond when Omaha picked things up. I watched a little of the BC -BU game and would say MN would have lost to both of those teams with last nights effort. While I am guessing that wasn't BC's best effort, they still put in an effort for stretches, generating chances, and BU seemed to be flying every time I flipped over tot he game. I don't know what the answer is, but since I missed the first series of the year, given the expectations I had for this team, I have yet to come out of a weekend (or even go into one) as fired up as I was much of last year. Last year's team would tend to have a bad period or two in one game that sometimes meant a loss, but would follow up with a 60 minute great effort in the next game. They seemed to wear teams down by the midpoint in Saturdays' games because of this. This team seems to have some games they win with 40 minutes of effort in one game and then show even less in the other. If they had been playing upper level teams rather than lower level, they would not have a great record. They haven't really had those games where you come out thinking "wow" these guys are really good (beyond Mich State, which I missed).

So winning tonight to me, will just be preventing a total loss for the weekend when a sweep at home should have been the goal, not a situation where "all will be forgiven." A loss puts me in Scooby's camp.

Slap Shot
12-01-2012, 02:23 PM

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/51319219/Yoda.jpg

state of hockey
12-01-2012, 04:36 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/ih34mh.jpg

Koho
12-01-2012, 05:07 PM
I really need to see a convincing win tonight.

The Rube
12-01-2012, 05:08 PM
I really need to see a win tonight.

Fixed.
I don't care if it's convincing or not. Don't care if it's pretty or not. Just get the W.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2012, 05:34 PM
“@Russostrib: #Gophers D Mark Alt may be being sent a message tonight. He's scratched. No word if injury, but he's one of the vets Lucia wants more from”

“@Russostrib: Jake Parenteau back where he belongs on D. Christian Isackson down to 4th line, Nate Condon to first #Gophers”

Driftryder
12-01-2012, 05:37 PM
“@Russostrib: #Gophers D Mark Alt may be being sent a message tonight. He's scratched. No word if injury, but he's one of the vets Lucia wants more from”

“@Russostrib: Jake Parenteau back where he belongs on D. Christian Isackson down to 4th line, Nate Condon to first #Gophers”

Yeah I just saw the lineup sheet, I like the changes.

https://twitter.com/ben_clymer/status/275011973278756865/photo/1

Koho
12-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah I just saw the lineup sheet, I like the changes.

https://twitter.com/ben_clymer/status/275011973278756865/photo/1

That could be an interesting 4th line. I think Isackson can bring more than a 4th liner. Holl has been working hard there and playing well. And Serratore is, well, Serratore.

Hopefully 1st line will be flying.

Koho
12-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Fixed.
I don't care if it's convincing or not. Don't care if it's pretty or not. Just get the W.

A win is essential. But just squeeking one out is simply a relief and doesn't help me feel much better. I need to see a couple games that make we think they can play 60 minutes and are capable of beating anyone. That is just the way I feel right now.

Greyeagle
12-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Sitting Alt could turn out to be a season turning point. Not only do I suspect he will play better but, more importantly, the rest of the team now realizes no one is safe from a night in the press box. I could be wrong, but like the move.

mnstate0fhockey
12-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Sitting Alt could turn out to be a season turning point. Not only do I suspect he will play better but, more importantly, the rest of the team now realizes no one is safe from a night in the press box. I could be wrong, but like the move.

Agreed. If the effort or execution isn't there, someone else will get a chance.

GopherBigGuy911
12-01-2012, 10:40 PM
I hope to God you are right....

Stauber1
12-02-2012, 12:42 AM
What in the hell was going on with the lines and D pairings tonight? Pretty much the only constant was Budish-Haula-Warning, but even that wasn't always consistent. I kept trying to figure out who was injured that was causing all the shuffling, but eventual realized that's just the way they were playing.

mnstate0fhockey
12-02-2012, 07:24 AM
What in the hell was going on with the lines and D pairings tonight? Pretty much the only constant was Budish-Haula-Warning, but even that wasn't always consistent. I kept trying to figure out who was injured that was causing all the shuffling, but eventual realized that's just the way they were playing.

Per Russo. Looks like tDon wasn't happy with Boyd's play:

But even Nate Condon, who was supposed to play on the first line, barely played there because Lucia wasn’t happy with Travis Boyd’s play. So Condon wound up moving to center.

It was that kind of night. An example? The eventual Tom Serratore second-period winning goal was created by Condon and Christian Isackson, who forced the turnover, “and that wasn’t even a line on the line chart,” Lucia said.

Driftryder
12-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I was wondering why all the shuffling was happening, they didn't have the jump imo after they switched back to the old line combos. They were flying that whole first period, I loved Condon up on the first line. It would be nice if we could settle in on some line combos soon.

Greyeagle
12-02-2012, 09:27 AM
I was wondering why all the shuffling was happening, they didn't have the jump imo after they switched back to the old line combos. They were flying that whole first period, I loved Condon up on the first line. It would be nice if we could settle in on some line combos soon.

Only thing I can think of is Don must have more confidence in his forwards than the his young D, but he doesn't want to sit anyone so he dresses 7 and assumes the forwards will adapt. Better to do this now rather than later, I guess? :confused:

Driftryder
12-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Only thing I can think of is Don must have more confidence in his forwards than the his young D, but he doesn't want to sit anyone so he dresses 7 and assumes the forwards will adapt. Better to do this now rather than later, I guess? :confused:

Yeah I get the feeling he doesn't want to sit anyone either, that's why we have the D experiment and forward shuffle.