Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Agree. A little harsh to conclude that anyone looked terrible defensively when you don't give up any goals. If there's room for criticism, it would be the offense for scoring only one goal. That won't win many games.
    Can someone show me where I said that Alt looked bad defensively? His decision making right now is what is frustrating to me. Pinching at terrible times(especially in Houghton) and he has had some brutal passes as well. Expected more from him this year(yes, I know it is very early). Hoping it is just some early season jitters and he can clean up his act.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      Can someone show me where I said that Alt looked bad defensively? His decision making right now is what is frustrating to me. Pinching at terrible times(especially in Houghton) and he has had some brutal passes as well. Expected more from him this year(yes, I know it is very early). Hoping it is just some early season jitters and he can clean up his act.
      In Houghton he was brutal. Not going to say he was sharp against Canisius, but he did nothing that had me overly concerned. Like I said, there is certainly room for improvement on our back-end all-around.

In Lucia's system, our defenders take more chances and pinch a good deal. We just need to make sure guys are covering when they do. Our back-check in Houghton was also virtually non-existent.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

I don't see the problems being defensive breakdowns. If we score 3+ goals, we will likely win. We must finish. Likewise, I don't think Hansen and Matson (although players I really liked) should be an issue when you look at the very long list of great offensive players on this team that are now a year older. I'd say a bigger issue than the departure of Hansen and Matson is that they haven't been replaced by really any freshmen forwards of note.

As is always the single most critical issue for Gopher teams that are a half a step away from greatness, its the ability to finish goals that will be the key.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          As is always the single most critical issue for Gopher teams that are a half a step away from greatness, its the ability to finish goals that will be the key.
          Good observation. The Gophers almost always dominate when it comes to puck possession, but that's not how they keep score.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Good observation. The Gophers almost always dominate when it comes to puck possession, but that's not how they keep score.
            Hard to score when you don't have the puck though. And the more you have it, and get it to the net, the more likely it will go in.

I'd be more willing to entertain the idea of a Gopher scoring problem if we weren't talking about such a ridiculously small sample size of games.

Comment

I guess Minnesota hockey teams just can't make people happy.

The Wild were considered pretenders last season when leading the entire league in mid December because the advanced stats showed they had too little offensive zone time. "Things will even out ", we were told. Despite injuries also being a factor, things did even out. Considerably.

Now just 5 games into this Gopher hockey season there are rumblings that the Gophers have a scoring problem. This despite the fact that they had the puck in the offensive zone against Canisius 80% of the game and attempted 73 shots.

Things will even out. The scoring will come.

Just like I didn't expect us to constantly be rolling over teams like we did to Michigan State, I don't think we continue to go 1/43 on opportunities either.

Comment

Minnesota hockey teams can make us happy. Don't suck at any point, and we will be happy.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  Minnesota hockey teams can make us happy. Don't suck at any point, and we will be happy.
                  4-1 sucks? Tough crowd

Comment

I'm Happy.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      I'm Happy.
                      Indisputable!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        I guess Minnesota hockey teams just can't make people happy.
                        One and a half average goals against U18ers and Canisius is a little different weekend than many would expect is all. And this being a message board, many here are just discussing it.

Personally I never get too concerned with a hiccup in the first half. BC went 4 Ws and 6 Ls to finish the first half and won their last 19. Come February, you have a better idea of how things are going.
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                          One and a half average goals against U18ers and Canisius is a little different weekend than many would expect is all. And this being a message board, many here are just discussing it.

Personally I never get too concerned with a hiccup in the first half. BC went 4 Ws and 6 Ls to finish the first half and won their last 19. Come February, you have a better idea of how things are going.
                          Understood. I never said people shouldn't be able to discuss their concerns. I am just explaining why I think some of those concerns are a little knee-jerk IMO. Just trying to ease some minds

Agree completely with you on it being much too early.

Comment

Jack Ramsey: “@Ramsey_16: Very excited to announce that I've committed to play hockey at the University Of Minnesota! #hardworkpaysoff #GoGophs”

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                              Jack Ramsey: “@Ramsey_16: Very excited to announce that I've committed to play hockey at the University Of Minnesota! #hardworkpaysoff #GoGophs”
                              Awesome recruit...Mike Ramsey's son.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                Awesome recruit...Mike Ramsey's son.
                                As was Mike's daughter Rachel, who is having a very good year with the women's team.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X