Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

I'm not worried about the offense, or the power play. They'll come around. They have been switching up lines and playing various defenders up front, so it's hard to find consistency. On top of that, while Canisius has had their struggles offensively, they really have played very well defensively. They clog up the neutral zone well, tie up guys out front, are very disciplined on the back-end, and have very solid goaltending.

What I have been watching more closely is our defensive play. We started out shaky defensively last year too, then gelled into a pretty stable back-end by year end. Hopefully they work out the kinks and start limiting the mistakes and turnovers soon.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Adam Wilcox is now 3-0 on the season with a 1.13 GAA and a .934 SV%.

Per Russo:

But in the end, freshman Adam Wilcox shut the door with 20 saves for his first college shutout by a 1-0 score. His last, with 30 seconds left to cruelly rob Tyler Wiseman, was a thing of beauty and may have earned him the No. 1 job.

Don Lucia wouldn’t say obviously, but he definitely raved about the South St. Paul lad and the confidence he has in him during the postgame press scrum. By Thursday, Lucia said the coaching staff will either decide to continue with the Michael Shibrowski-Wilcox rotation into a fourth weekend, maybe switch it up where Wilcox plays Friday and Shibrowski Saturday OR let one goalie play both games.

My guess?

That sounds to me like Wilcox plays Friday against Minnesota State, and if he plays well and/or isn’t overly taxed, he plays on the road in Mankato on Saturday.

Again, this is pure conjecture but an educated guess from somebody who’s covered a lot of hockey games (albeit not a lot of college games) and read the minds of a ton of coaches.
      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-28-2012, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I didn't think defensive play was a problem today, although it's hard to judge due to the opponent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          I didn't think defensive play was a problem today, although it's hard to judge due to the opponent.
          Agreed. They played much more disciplined today. Consistency is key though. Hopefully they keep it up.

Comment

Taylor Cammarata with a 6pt game today against Youngstown (2-4-6). Now leads the USHL in scoring (7-10-17). Justin Kloos also had a goal and an assist and is tied for second in the USHL in scoring (6-9-15). Gabe Guertler leads the USHL in goals scored with 9 and is tied for 12th in the USHL in scoring (9-2-11).

Comment

I'm thinkin' some of the guys on GPL will be calling for Lucia to go, since they only won 1-0.

Comment

Mark Alt continues to make me scratch my head. I thought he played horribly yesterday. I have no idea how he was the Gophers best +/- guy heading into yesterday's game. He must have been on the ice for a ton of goals in that Michigan St series because he looked terrible in Houghton and pretty bad against Canisius.
                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                  Mark Alt continues to make me scratch my head. I thought he played horribly yesterday. I have no idea how he was the Gophers best +/- guy heading into yesterday's game. He must have been on the ice for a ton of goals in that Michigan St series because he looked terrible in Houghton and pretty bad against Canisius.
                  Room for improvement to be sure, but I don't think anyone looked horrible defensively yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    Room for improvement to be sure, but I don't think anyone looked horrible defensively yesterday.
                    Agree. A little harsh to conclude that anyone looked terrible defensively when you don't give up any goals. If there's room for criticism, it would be the offense for scoring only one goal. That won't win many games.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Agree. A little harsh to conclude that anyone looked terrible defensively when you don't give up any goals. If there's room for criticism, it would be the offense for scoring only one goal. That won't win many games.
                      True. And when you control the puck 90% of the game, spend 80% of the game in the offensive zone, attempt 73 shots, and put 42 shots on net, but only score 1 goal, sometimes you just have to tip your hat to your opponent's defense and goaltending.

If the Gophers continue to get that much puck possession, offensive zone time, and shots to the net, the goals will come.

Now we know how Wild opponents have felt the last few years when our offensively inept team has occasionally stifled teams with timely defense and great goaltending.

I'm just glad our squad stayed patient, didn't turn the puck over by pressing, and give up an equalizer. A W is a W

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        True. And when you control the puck 90% of the game, spend 80% of the game in the offensive zone, attempt 73 shots, and put 42 shots on net, but only score 1 goal, sometimes you just have to tip your hat to your opponent's defense and goaltending.

If the Gophers continue to get that much puck possession, offensive zone time, and shots to the net, the goals will come.

Now we know how Wild opponents have felt the last few years when our offensively inept team has occasionally stifled teams with timely defense and great goaltending.

I'm just glad our squad stayed patient, didn't turn the puck over by pressing, and give up an equalizer. A W is a W
                        Agreed. I was thinking the same thing yesterday while watching, how crappy it must have been for offensive teams to play the Wild.

Comment

I do think Matson and Hansen were a huge part of that lineup late in the year and those 2 pieces haven't been replaced yet, the lines are ok but something is missing. I wish Budish would go back to the 1st line and Isackson can play on the 2nd with Warning and Haula. Or throw Condon up with Bjugs and Rau and put Isackson on the 3rd with Boyd and Ambroz, either way Matson and Hansen are missed.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                            I do think Matson and Hansen were a huge part of that lineup late in the year and those 2 pieces haven't been replaced yet, the lines are ok but something is missing. I wish Budish would go back to the 1st line and Isackson can play on the 2nd with Warning and Haula. Or throw Condon up with Bjugs and Rau and put Isackson on the 3rd with Boyd and Ambroz, either way Matson and Hansen are missed.
                            Agreed. We have got a lot of scoring balance though. Lots of guys with points. Maybe things will change if we continue to struggle to find goals, but I'm really not too worried about this team offensively. At least we're continuing to win (or split on the road) while we figure things out.

Comment

1 goal, at home, against Canisius? Preceded by a draw with U-18.

No way we are going anywhere if we don't start performing better.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                1 goal, at home, against Canisius? Preceded by a draw with U-18.

No way we are going anywhere if we don't start performing better.
                                If we continue the rest of the season only getting 1 goal on 42 shots (with as many as 73 attempted), I'll be worried too. And stunned.

As for the exhibition, it's a non-factor for me. I don't read too much into games were AJ Michaelson sees power play time.

Comment

Working...
                                X