Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Reality check: Lethbridge played Minnesota State last night and lost 7-1. The Mavericks outshot the Horns, 65-10.

Comment

So how can a country known for quality major junior programs can have such bad college teams, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
        So how can a country known for quality major junior programs can have such bad college teams, eh?
        I was asking my brother that question yesterday. You'd think that even the leftovers that end up playing college hockey instead of juniors would at least be able to compete...?
        "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
          I was asking my brother that question yesterday. You'd think that even the leftovers that end up playing college hockey instead of juniors would at least be able to compete...?
          They do, but you have to look at the teams that are playing.

For example, Minnesota is one of the best college hockey teams (or at the very least should be), while Lethbridge is an awful Canada West team (2nd worst in the league). It is of no surprise then that they were clobbered by Minnesota, and beaten just as soundly by Mankato.

Likewise, Manitoba was the best team in Canada West last season, and gave North Dakota (another team that should be very strong this season) a very good game (UND won 5-3). The next night Manitoba drew with Bemidji State.

British Columbia is another decent team. They drew with DU 2-2, before losing to CC 3-1 the following night.

Looking at the scoreboard from this past weekend, Canadian teams won several contests:
          Ottawa beat Canisius 5-2
          Carleton beat Clarkson 6-2
          St Francis Xavier beat Northeastern 4-3
          Acadia beat Quinnipiac 2-0
          St. Thomas beat Sacred Heart 4-3

Additionally, there were a few other ties.

As for the obvious discrepancy in talent between Minnesota and Lethbridge, the answer is pretty simple: Minnesota is a very good team, and Lethbridge is a very poor team. Had Minnesota played a stronger Canadian team like Manitoba or British Columbia, the ultimate result would have almost assuredly been the same (Gopher Win), but my guess is that the score would have been significantly closer.
          North Dakota
          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            Reality check: Lethbridge played Minnesota State last night and lost 7-1. The Mavericks outshot the Horns, 65-10.
            Well Minnesota State got the benefit of playing them when they were on the second night of a back to back. If the games were switched and the Gophers got to play Lethbridge the night after they played Minnesota State, the Maverick game would have been closer, and the Gophers would have put up double digits in goals. Lethbridge plays UNO tonight to finish out their back-to-back-to-back so UNO might really put a beating on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtn2GoldCountry View Post
              Well Minnesota State got the benefit of playing them when they were on the second night of a back to back. If the games were switched and the Gophers got to play Lethbridge the night after they played Minnesota State, the Maverick game would have been closer, and the Gophers would have put up double digits in goals. Lethbridge plays UNO tonight to finish out their back-to-back-to-back so UNO might really put a beating on them.
              If UMTC played Lethbridge Sunday or Monday the game would have been run time and Haula would have been in net. Lethbridge could'nt have come into an olympic arena and kept up with the goofs on day 2 or 3 of 3 with travel and hoped to remain competitive for more than 20 minutes, I think that's a little closer to reality. Also, since when is GoldwingMC the pessimist of your fanbase?!
              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                If UMTC played Lethbridge Sunday or Monday the game would have been run time and Haula would have been in net. Lethbridge could'nt have come into an olympic arena and kept up with the goofs on day 2 or 3 of 3 with travel and hoped to remain competitive for more than 20 minutes, I think that's a little closer to reality. Also, since when is GoldwingMC the pessimist of your fanbase?!
                True, Bjugs would have taken the whole team on himself and won, with Haula in net of course.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                  True, Bjugs would have taken the whole team on himself and won, with Haula in net of course.
                  Why risk Haula getting injured? The Gophers could've put Hauser in net and won.
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                    The Gophers could've put Hauser in net and won.
                    Win what, a NC? He already did that.
                    Last edited by Slap Shot; 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I also think Mankato is going to be an improved team this year. Very much like Tech last year. A new coach who will have a positive impact. A cupboard not left completely empty. Mankato will surprise some teams this year.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Look forward to seeing Grimaldi take Bjugstad out of the handshake line this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          I also think Mankato is going to be an improved team this year. Very much like Tech last year. A new coach who will have a positive impact. A cupboard not left completely empty. Mankato will surprise some teams this year.
                          Agreed...Mike Hastings, with 4 years of D1 asst. coaching under Lucia and Blais, and unprecedented success in the USHL, will definitely make positive changes in the style and aggressiveness of the team and the culture of hockey at MSUM. You're exactly right the cupboard is definitely not bare. Their top 4 scorers have returned (Leitner, Lafontaine, Hayes, Lehrke) with solid D from Mosey and Palmquist, Phil Cook is an experienced senior in nets replacing Lee and they've added freshman Bryce Gervais, who seems to be a true goal scorer (netted two Gs against Lethbridge). MSUM could be the dark horse in the WCHA this season.

I don't think it makes any difference at all which team they would have played first. The Horns schedule 2 game weekend series in the CWUAA just like NCAA D1 teams. The fact is the Gophers had several chances to bury the puck against Lethbridge including a breakaway and didn't execute. The score could have easily been 12-0. IMO consistent execution on scoring opportunities will be the biggest test for the Gophers to make a valid run at an NC this season. I'm sure Bjugs is hoping to finish stronger this season than last year as well in most likely his last season with the Gophers (65% of his goals were in the first half and only 2-2-4 in 6 playoff games last season).

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                          The only thing I'm pessimistic about cross chick is whether Whioux players will be successful in trying to cover up their next boozapalooza.
                          Last edited by HarleyMC; 10-09-2012, 12:01 AM.

Comment

I agree with you that playing them on the 2nd night of a back to back is easier. They have to travel after a game in which they just got pasted while Mankato is just sitting there fully rested and waiting. We can certainly debate how much of an adverse affect it has but I think it is a stretch to act like it isn't advantageous to play them the 2nd night.

In the end, it doesn't matter though. Just exhibition stuff. These opening games against Canadian colleges have generally been a waste of time.
                            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                              The only thing I'm pessimistic about cross chick is whether Whioux players will be successful in trying to cover up their next boozapalooza.
                              Yawn. Stretch.
                              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                                Why risk Haula getting injured? The Gophers could've put Hauser in net and won.
                                Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Win what, a NC? He already did that.
                                Dirty, most of the time your quips are at least somewhat amusing and relevant, but I have to say it warms my heart when you step up to the plate, take a swing, and whiff completely like you did here. There's so many things that could be said aboutther level of stupidity regarding your statement, but I think Slap Shot pretty much hit the nail on the head, squarely and succinctly. Enough said. Now kindly go back to your basement and keep quiet.

Comment

Working...
                                X