Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Quite honestly the biggest disappointment for me tonight was the Gophers' inability to finish on the many great opportunities that they generated. They could have easily won by 12 or more goals! If they are going to beat the tougher teams they will be facing - starting next weekend - they will need to capitalize on a greater percentage of their Grade A chances, because good teams will not give up nearly as many as Lethbridge surrendered tonight.

The only other disappointing thing to me was on D they left a Lethbridge forward ALL ALONE several times in front of our goalie. Thankfully, the Horns were not able to capitalize. I'm sure these miscues will give Guentzel some "teaching opportunities" as they prepare for a much stronger opponent next weekend.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Quite honestly the biggest disappointment for me tonight was the Gophers' inability to finish on the many great opportunities that they generated. They could have easily won by 12 or more goals! If they are going to beat the tougher teams they will be facing - starting next weekend - they will need to capitalize on a greater percentage of their Grade A chances, because good teams will not give up nearly as many as Lethbridge surrendered tonight.

The only other disappointing thing to me was on D they left a Lethbridge forward ALL ALONE several times in front of our goalie. Thankfully, the Horns were not able to capitalize. I'm sure these miscues will give Guentzel some "teaching opportunities" as they prepare for a much stronger opponent next weekend.
      Scooby is that you? This is their 1st game of the year and they won 7-0 and outshot them 65-16, wow.

I thought they looked strong on the puck and kept coming at Lethbridge in waves, there is always going to be chances at the other end no matter who you play.

Edit: also as I mentioned earlier we didn't even get scoring from Bjugs Rau Haula or Budish but managed 7 goals, we'll be fine.
      Last edited by SanTropez; 10-07-2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        Scooby is that you? This is their 1st game of the year and they won 7-0 and outshot them 65-16, wow.

I thought they looked strong on the puck and kept coming at Lethbridge in waves, there is always going to be chances at the other end no matter who you play.

Edit: also as I mentioned earlier we didn't even get scoring from Bjugs Rau Haula or Budish but managed 7 goals, we'll be fine.
        Yeah, we should be fine, but there is always room for improvement. I'm sure the coaches saw plenty of teaching opportunities at both ends of the ice tonight...
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

So I will be out of town the next two weekends (at least it is for fun, not work). I have never done the Gopher ALL Access before. Is that essentially a feed of the FSN broadcast? I am hoping I can catch one or two games. (Don't even know how internet access will be.) So $10 get's all the games in a month? Also, I assume there is a user name and password, so I can be on different computers?

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
            So I will be out of town the next two weekends (at least it is for fun, not work). I have never done the Gopher ALL Access before. Is that essentially a feed of the FSN broadcast? I am hoping I can catch one or two games. (Don't even know how internet access will be.) So $10 get's all the games in a month? Also, I assume there is a user name and password, so I can be on different computers?
            When I did the all access pass last year it was a feed with no audio just video, now this was for an exhibition game and not for the "real" season. I think the Gopher all access will only get you the u18 game this month and will not show the FSN stuff (I could be wrong) the regular season games don't show up on the schedule for all access.

Yes there was a username and password that got you in then you picked the premium content you wanted to watch on the schedule.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Highlights from last night from Gophersports:

MINNEAPOLIS - Behind a hat-trick performance by sophomore Christian Isackson, the Minnesota men's hockey team opened the 2012-13 season with a 7-0 exhibition win over Lethbridge on Saturday night at Mariucci Arena.

Isackson, who was held scoreless in 11 games as a freshman last year, made up for lost time with the natural hat trick - notching all three tallies within the game's first 22 minutes. The Pine City, Minn., native found the back of the net twice during a five-minute power play for the Gophers at 6:02 and 8:30 of the first period, respectively, to give Minnesota a 2-0 lead after the first period. Both goals were set up by sophomores Travis Boyd and Ben Marshall. Isackson would strike quickly in thesecond period to finish the job after being set up with an even-strength goal by junior Nick Bjugstad and senior Seth Helgeson at 1:08.

Sophomore Sam Warning picked up right where Isackson left off, scoring 25 seconds later at 1:33 of the second period after being set up by redshirt junior Zach Budish and junior Erik Haula. Junior defenseman Mark Alt would cap a three-goal third period at 6:29 of the second with assists from freshman Mike Reilly and sophomore Seth Ambroz.

Minnesota, which outshot the Pronghorns 65-16 overall and 48-10 in the final 40 minutes, would add two more in the third - this time with both Marshall and Ambroz adding goals to their earlier assists. Marshall's even -strength goal (assists from Warning and Haula) at 5:22 of the third would round out a three-point night for the Detroit Red Wings' draft pick while Ambroz's power-play tally at 14:31 (Condon and M. Reilly) would close out the night's scoring and put the Gophers' power-play unit at 3-for-8 on the night.

Junior Michael Shibrowski and freshman Adam Wilcox combined for a shutout with Shibrowski earning the starting nod on Saturday night. The junior turned away all nine shots faced in the game's first 29:30 before turning the game over the Wilcox. The rookie netminder would maintain the clean sheet with seven saves against Lethbridge.

Minnesota opens the 2012-13 regular season at Mariucci Arena next weekend against Michigan State. The Gophers open the series with a 6 p.m. battle against the Spartans on Friday before closing out the nonconference affair on Saturday at 8 p.m.
              Originally posted by CavalryNate
              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Driftryder View Post
                When I did the all access pass last year it was a feed with no audio just video, now this was for an exhibition game and not for the "real" season. I think the Gopher all access will only get you the u18 game this month and will not show the FSN stuff (I could be wrong) the regular season games don't show up on the schedule for all access.

Yes there was a username and password that got you in then you picked the premium content you wanted to watch on the schedule.
                Thanks. So I am guessing that FSN doesn't broadcast the regular broadcast online, just the Director's Cut? I might at least be able to catch this, although I'll be out West, and all those 6 pm starts don't help me....

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                  Good luck and cheers gopher faithful! Here's hoping you guys can make the F5 two years in a row!
                  That would be a great accomplishment for this upstart program!
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

That was fun last night.
                    A few thoughts on the game:

First, attendance! The listed attendance was around 7,800. I was guessing 7,500 when I was at the rink. There were more people at this exhibition game than there were at some of the conference games a couple seasons ago. I have a feeling Mariucci is going to be rocking this year...

As far as the players...
                    - Marshall looked good. At both ends.
                    - Isackson looked like he spent the entire off-season watching old Grant Potulny reel. His first 2 were just sticking his nose into it around the net, but his third was a good skill play.
                    - Skjei looked like he is ready to step right in. M Reilly looked a bit shaky in the first, but grew better as the night wore on. By the third, I was thoroughly impressed with him and would expect to see him getting significant playing time.
                    - Haula looks like he is quite a bit stronger, physically, than last year. I'm expecting big things from that kid.
                    - Holl looked like the same old Justin Holl that we have seen the past 2 years. He is going to need to really step it up if he wants to see ice time, in my opinion.
                    - Neither Shibrowski nor Wilcox were called upon that much. Shibrowski did make 1 stellar save in the first on a turnover behind the net that was centered right on the tape of a Lethbridge player at the bottom of the circles. That was the best save of the night for any of the goalies.
                    - #9 seemed like an apt # for R Reilly. He was the best of the freshman forwards, in my opinion.

Overall, it's always hard to glean very much from these exhibitions. But there was some really positive stuff last night. The Gophers came out flying and hitting from the first puck drop. And I also liked that MN put up 7 goals without any of their "big guns" scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

You can't make it up.
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

I was surprised to see Isackson up on the first line with Bjugs and Rau for a good portion of the game, and it certainly payed off for him. Lucia obviously saw a lot of improvement in Chris to put him up on that line. Should be interesting to see how the lines shake out for the opening of the regular season against MSU this weekend.

"He's a skill player," Lucia said of Isackson. "Last year he never played at the pace he needed to play." "It helps a lot playing with Bjugstad and Rau. Those guys are amazing players," Isackson said.
                        I liked the balanced scoring on the lines:

Rau/Bjugstad (1 assist)/Isackson (3 goals) = 4 points
                        Warning (goal)/Haula (2 assists)/Budish (1 assist) = 4 points
                        Condon (1 assist)/Boyd (2 assist)/Ambroz (1 goal, 1 assist) = 5 points
                        Serratore/Michealson/Larson (R. Reilly, Horn) (no points, but lots of hustle and puck battles won from this checking line)

Hard to see anything changing much with these lines. They look very balanced...for now.

Comment

Someone made the pt that M Reilly had a slow a slow sart and picked it up as the game progressed. I spose this is true.

Based on what I saw last night, he'll be the freshman to have an impact on the ice in short order. I do think you've got to find a way to play him and Skjei.

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                          I'd hate to see Marshall move up, he QBs the backline and on PPs as a playmaker so well. I'm a fan, he impressed the hell out of me tonight, he's solid on D, good full ice vision, knows how to steal and forward the puck. He's perfected some very cool spin moves too. It could be very strategic to keep him at D, he seemed to choose his offensive chances well and they were usually choice opportunities to make a play. He adds a real offensive threat to the D along with Schmidt, Holl and Alt. But true, totally tough call for MG.
                          I think moving Marshall up would actually be a mistake. I think you've got to find a way to make it a priority to keep him and the frosh in there. Even if you have to cycle through some of the veterans. Ben's not the guy to develop cause he's there...he just needs consistency to take him the last step.

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                          I was surprised to see Isackson up on the first line with Bjugs and Rau for a good portion of the game, and it certainly payed off for him. Lucia obviously saw a lot of improvement in Chris to put him up on that line. Should be interesting to see how the lines shake out for the opening of the regular season against MSU this weekend.

I liked the balanced scoring on the lines:

Rau/Bjugstad (1 assist)/Isackson (3 goals) = 4 points
                          Warning (goal)/Haula (2 assists)/Budish (1 assist) = 4 points
                          Condon (1 assist)/Boyd (2 assist)/Ambroz (1 goal, 1 assist) = 5 points
                          Serratore/Michealson/Larson (R. Reilly, Horn) (no points, but lots of hustle and puck battles won from this checking line)

Hard to see anything changing much with these lines. They look very balanced...for now.
                          I'm not sure about Isackson being on the first line. I'm just wondering if he's 'the best of the rest'. Obviously he got the goals. But I wouldn't say his talent earned them. Otherwise he seemed like a third/fourth liner playing with Nick Bjugstad and Kyle Rau. I would think that they move someone else into that slot.

IMO Horn and Michaelson were on the ice. I saw them a couple of times they just didn't stand out.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                            btw SOG were 65-16 in favor of the Gophers.

It will be much different next Friday against Michigan State, but I think the boys will be ready.
                            And that was with an arguably soft first 10 minutes by the Gophs when I noticed that the SOG were 4 to 4.
                            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              And that was with an arguably soft first 10 minutes by the Gophs when I noticed that the SOG were 4 to 4.
                              Well, the first 5 minutes when MN killed a minor penalty. That PK looked rusty and Lethbridge got a number of shots on it.
                              By the time the first minute of the Gopher major PP had gone by, Minnesota had taken a legitimate lead in shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                                - Haula looks like he is quite a bit stronger, physically, than last year. I'm expecting big things from that kid.
                                I think it was that offseason training program in Stillwater that he attended.

Comment

Working...
                                X