Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Recap: The Gophers lived up to offensive expectations, pounding the Lethbridge goalie throughout the game. My guess on SOG around 50-60 for the Gophers. There were lots of line combos and mix and match. IMO Marshall looked very impressive, moving the puck offensively with confidence and finesse and had a nice shot in front for a goal. Hats off (literally) to Christian Isackson, who didn't get a point last season on 20 SOG, gets a hat trick tonight on some excellent sniper shots. Seth Ambroz saw a lot of ice time on PP, PK, and 5 x 5 and also scored. Rau was all over the ice tonight, Boyd looked fired up and equally as tenacious. Mike Reilly had some good shifts, moving the puck well with confidence...impressive. There were no D that played forward tonight that I could see.

Both goalies, Wilcox and Shiby looked good with some excellent stops. Wilcox looked very mobile and confident in the net.

Overall, even though against an obviously weaker team, the Gophers without a doubt looked cocked and loaded for a champion-chip run this season. Final: Gophers 7, Lethbridge 0
    Last edited by HarleyMC; 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
      Recap: The Gophers lived up to offensive expectations, pounding the Lethbridge goalie throughout the game. My guess on SOG around 50-60 for the Gophers. There were lots of line combos and mix and match. IMO Marshall looked very impressive, moving the puck offensively with confidence and finesse and had a nice shot in front for a goal. Hats off (literally) to Christian Isackson, who didn't get a point last season on 20 SOG, gets a hat trick tonight on some excellent sniper shots. Seth Ambroz saw a lot of ice time on PP, PK, and 5 x 5 and also scored. Rau was all over the ice tonight, Boyd looked fired up and equally as tenacious. Mike Reilly had some good shifts, moving the puck well with confidence...impressive. There were no D that played forward tonight that I could see.

Overall, even though against an obviously weaker team, the Gophers without a doubt looked cocked and loaded for a champion-chip run this season. Final: Gophers 7, Lethbridge 0
      Good recap Harley.

I thought Skjei looked very solid when he was in, he had a couple plays where he walked a forward and took a nice shot on goal. Very poised.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
        Good recap Harley.

I thought Skjei looked very solid when he was in, he had a couple plays where he walked a forward and took a nice shot on goal. Very poised.
        Yeah, agreed on Skjei...it appeared Skjei saw more ice time than MR...not sure why but they both looked very confident on the blue line and in forwarding the puck. This D issue is going to be interesting this season...there's some very good D this season, could be the best bunch we've had since 2002-03. It's a good problem for MG to have...everyone is going to leave it on the ice. I thought Wilcox and Shiby handled themselves very well tonight, Lethbridge had a few grade A chances.

Comment

Yeah, agreed on Skjei...it appeared Skjei saw more ice time than MR...not sure why but they both looked very confident on the blue line and in forwarding the puck. This D issue is going to be interesting this season...there's some very good D this season, could be the best bunch we've had since 2002-03. It's a good problem for MG to have...everyone is going to leave it on the ice. I thought Wilcox and Shiby handled themselves very well tonight, Lethbridge had a few grade A chances.
          yep. Did you think Wilcox was a little bit more sharp and "on the puck"? It looks like Wilcox is a standup type goalie and doesn't go down much (which I like) he looked very solid.

Comment

yep. Did you think Wilcox was a little bit more sharp and "on the puck"? It looks like Wilcox is a standup type goalie and doesn't go down much (which I like) he looked very solid.
            It's a bit hard to tell with so few shots, but there were some good SOG, Wilcox facing a few more shots then Shiby. The first period with Shiby in nets was total domination in the offensive zone by the Gophers. I'm leaning towards Wilcox being a bit more sharp, good follow through on controlling rebounds, very mobile on scrabbles in front. Should be interesting to see who starts next week for Michigan State.

Comment

Both goalies, Wilcox and Shiby looked good with some excellent stops. Wilcox looked very mobile and confident in the net.

Having gone to the game, this was my assessment as well. I called out Marshall as being a guy to watch earlier today. He did not disappoint. On any other team, he'd be the star QB on the PP. He can get the puck anywhere on the ice.

Folks here mentioned Skjei. I thought he was decent in his first game. But I thought M Reilly was the best frosh on the ice.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

It's a bit hard to tell with so few shots, but there were some good SOG, Wilcox facing a few more shots then Shiby. The first period with Shiby in nets was total domination in the offensive zone by the Gophers. I'm leaning towards Wilcox being a bit more sharp, good follow through on controlling rebounds, very mobile on scrabbles in front. Should be interesting to see who starts next week for Michigan State.
                Should be interesting no doubt. I would go with Wilcox on Friday night and if he's lights out play him again Saturday, if not then throw Shibby in Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Having gone to the game, this was my assessment as well. I called out Marshall as being a guy to watch earlier today. He did not disappoint. On any other team, he'd be the star QB on the PP. He can get the puck anywhere on the ice.

Folks here mentioned Skjei. I thought he was decent in his first game. But I thought M Reilly was the best frosh on the ice.
                  Nice to hear, watching Gopher all access it was tough to see M Reilly. I didn't notice him until the 3rd period. Probably because I didn't know his number more than anything though. ( and i'm 13 14 deep into a case of beer)

Comment

Should be interesting no doubt. I would go with Wilcox on Friday night and if he's lights out play him again Saturday, if not then throw Shibby in Saturday.
                    Yeah, agreed I was impressed with Wilcox with the saves he made. Not saying Shiby was not solid, but Wilcox was sharp, cutting off a clear shot in his face in the 3rd with ease probably the Horns best opportunity. Wilcox is very mobile and sharp on controlling rebounds.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post

Mike Reilly looked very good tonight...like a confident veteran on the backline. This kid is a big time, highly skilled D. Makes the problem at D very interesting. I noticed Holl saw a lot of ice time tonight too. Not trying to get too excited after the first exhibition against an obviously much weaker team, but this impresses me as perhaps the best D corp we've seen since 2002. If the goalie situation is stable, the Gophers don't appear to have any glaring weaknesses at all. This is a powerful hockey team.

Comment

btw SOG were 65-16 in favor of the Gophers.

It will be much different next Friday against Michigan State, but I think the boys will be ready.

Comment

I think they will be ready to go come Friday night. It should be a competative week of practice this week as players try to make the 20 man roster for opening night. even thos who play Friday will know they need to perform well to play again on Saturday. It also helps that we are playing a team we are familiar with, who is going to be a conference member next year, and took 3 of 4 points from us last year. Come Friday they will be glad the game starts an hour earlier than usual because they will be ready to go.

Comment

any thoughts at all on michaelson and horn? im guessing they must have been quiet as i havent seen anyone mention either

on the defense issue- i really think marshall has to be the guy to move to forward. not because he cant play defense (he certainly can in college).. but i really think he could make a much better forward than holl/reilly. will be an interesting week for those 8 defenseman..

Comment

Originally posted by jerryj View Post
                              any thoughts at all on michaelson and horn? im guessing they must have been quiet as i havent seen anyone mention either

on the defense issue- i really think marshall has to be the guy to move to forward. not because he cant play defense (he certainly can in college).. but i really think he could make a much better forward than holl/reilly. will be an interesting week for those 8 defenseman..
                              Michaelson and Horn were kinda mixed in on that 4th line with Serratore R Reilly and J larson so it was hard to notice, but the 4th line no matter who was out there hustled and looked decent.

Marshall's goal was a snipe, he had moved down to the forward spot on the side of the net buried it, he would probably fit in nicely as a forward. Tough call though, I would hate to be Guentzel trying to decide who sits and who plays on D, they all looked solid.
                              Last edited by SanTropez; 10-06-2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Michaelson and Horn were kinda mixed in on that 4th line with R Reilly and J larson so it was hard to notice, but the 4th line no matter who was out there hustled and looked decent.

Marshall's goal was a snipe, he had moved down to the forward spot on the side of the net buried it, he would probably fit in nicely as a forward. Tough call though, I would hate to be Guentzel trying to decide who sits and who plays on D, they all looked solid.
                                I'd hate to see Marshall move up, he QBs the backline and on PPs as a playmaker so well. I'm a fan, he impressed the hell out of me tonight, he's solid on D, good full ice vision, knows how to steal and forward the puck. He's perfected some very cool spin moves too. It could be very strategic to keep him at D, he seemed to choose his offensive chances well and they were usually choice opportunities to make a play. He adds a real offensive threat to the D along with Schmidt, Holl and Alt. But true, totally tough call for MG.

Comment

Working...
                                X