Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    That Parise guy sure gets a lot of prayers. Be nice if he could actually play some hockey.
    It would be disappointing if he didn't get to play. Finally some excitement around the Wild and we might not get to see them play right away. That being said, it will sure put a nice little Minnesota hockey spotlight on the Gophers and I have no problem with that.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Dear Parise. Perhaps you'd fit in better with the Jan Crowd.

(btw, I didn't accuse anyone of being negative I said perhaps it's a bit silly to claim the Gophers have not received enough pre-season recognition. Not the same thing.)
      I never said you accused anyone of anything. And no one is complaining about the lack of attention. In fact, I like many others think it's a good thing.
      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Nearly every prognostication I've seen by category has the Gophers as a national #1 or 2, an NCAA #1 seed, winning the WCHA, votes for player of the year, Hobey, rookie WCHA player of the year, etc., etc. Exactly how have they been overlooked? Just because some fans haven't come out and said OMGTEHGOFRZRTEHGRTSTEVAH doesn't mean they've been overlooked. Either way fans shouldn't care because they still have to prove it out on the ice.

As for moving Holl to forward, he's never played at least not since before HS and all he needs is to get his confidence back. Anyone that watched him in h.s. saw a sound positional defensive player and someone that created offense - both by shooting and by passing. He very well could be moved to F because he has offensive skills and can skate, but I'm not ready to buy into his defensive demise just yet.
        Overlooked? No, the Gophers are getting plenty of national recognition among the media, fans and coaches, but let's face it positioning historically in season polls doesn't mean squat in college hockey until Jan-Feb. anyway. I think everyone wants to see if they'll play up to the hype.

Here's the preseason GRAND FORKS HERALD WCHA COACHES POLL and the Gophers are #1. Nice to see Mike Reilly get a few votes as preseason Rookie of the Year. As in the WCHA Media poll, Bjugs is picked as Player of the Year by the coaches.

I agree with you on Holl Slap, even though you're a totally bias Skipper fan and your opinion is obviously skewed. Admittedly, Justin Holl struggled early last season. I recall Lucia mentioning in an interview that he asked Justin at one point early last season, "Why don't you work as hard during games as you do in practice? Look, if you can take care of the puck and work as hard in a game as you do in practice, you'll see a lot more ice time on D". And that was all Justin needed to turn his game around at that point.

IMHO Justin Holl is a lock on defense this season. There's no question, Holl really improved defensively as the season progressed last year and there is absolutely NO WAY Lucia would move him to forward. Moreover, what has really impressed me with Don Lucia's coaching over the years is he's a man of principle and always gives more playing time to upperclassmen over a freshman, if they've really shown improvement.

Holl ended last season tied for second among defensemen with a +18 rating and 4th on the team with 45 blocked shots (Schmidt/52, Alt/51, Marshall/50). He really found his niche moving the puck offensively as well, logging a career high in goals (3), assists (8) and points (11).

One thing that struck me in the Media Day interviews too was Lucia, Helgeson, and Schmidt all commented on how good it was to have high level competition for 6 slots on defense with 9 very good defensemen this season. It just makes everyone work harder. I expect even better things from Justin Holl on D this season.

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
        I think you are literally the only other person I've come across that doesn't rip Holl to shreds.
        +2. Everybody else can eat dirt.

Go Gophers!
        Last edited by HarleyMC; 10-05-2012, 03:47 AM.

Comment

So with 9 D and 6 spots who will play regularly and who will sit on occasion or most of the time?

1. Alt - playing, won't sit
          2. Schmidt - playing, won't sit
          3. Helgeson - playing, won't sit
          4. Parenteau - better play
          5. Marshall -
          6. Holl -
          7. Reilly -
          8. Skjei -
          9. Thompson - will sit

I wish they would move Marshall up to forward, I would love to have Reilly and Skjei get more playing time.

Edit: Don Lucia from media day yesterday

We want to make sure that our top 18 players are dressing. If that says that we’re going to move a defenseman up to forward for a period of time, we may do that,” said Lucia. “If we feel that we have a defenseman that would be the odd man out, and can help us up front, then I would think that player would rather be playing up front than not playing at all.”
          Last edited by SanTropez; 10-05-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            +2. Everybody else can eat dirt.

Go Gophers!

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
              Edit: Don Lucia from media day yesterday
              That's pretty much what everyone else has been thinking. Just a matter of who that will be? Marshall, Holl?
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                I've traveled quite a bit overseas and yeah if you've got an internet connection...there's the good old $9.95 for Gopher All Access with Wally and Frank. Where ya goin'?
                The U offers free audio for all games...non exhibitions:

http://client.stretchinternet.com/cl...nesota.portal#
                Vanek > Parise - siouxinminny (4/5/06)

"Any bets on how long the NCAA takes to come down on the Gophers? Any one can answer this question. I say 2 weeks" -Suze - 11/17/05

Comment

Parenteau better be playing. Best defenseman we had last year. Emphasis on "defense."
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                    Parenteau better be playing. Best defenseman we had last year. Emphasis on "defense."
                    But his offense was very clutch.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I agree. He's one of my favorite players right now.
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I'm with you. In fact I think Parenteau should only be behind Alt and Schmidt as far as playing time goes.

My rating:
                        1. Alt
                        2. Schmidt
                        3. Parenteau
                        4. Helgeson
                        9. Thompson
                        Last edited by SanTropez; 10-05-2012, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Nearly every prognostication I've seen by category has the Gophers as a national #1 or 2, an NCAA #1 seed, winning the WCHA, votes for player of the year, Hobey, rookie WCHA player of the year, etc., etc. Exactly how have they been overlooked? Just because some fans haven't come out and said OMGTEHGOFRZRTEHGRTSTEVAH doesn't mean they've been overlooked. Either way fans shouldn't care because they still have to prove it out on the ice.

As for moving Holl to forward, he's never played at least not since before HS and all he needs is to get his confidence back. Anyone that watched him in h.s. saw a sound positional defensive player and someone that created offense - both by shooting and by passing. He very well could be moved to F because he has offensive skills and can skate, but I'm not ready to buy into his defensive demise just yet.
                          What alternate universe have I entered where Scooby is being accused of being overly optimistic???

And why not have a couple D split D and forward duties, like Marshall and Reilly/Marshall and Holl, etc.? They could play D one night and F the other, and see who does the best at each.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                            I'm with you. In fact I think Parenteau should only be behind Alt and Schmidt as far as playing time goes.

My rating:
                            1. Alt
                            2. Schmidt
                            3. Parenteau
                            4. Helgeson
                            9. Thompson
                            I don't know if this was just a list, but if this is a ranking, I can't say I agree. Alt is good, but Schmidt was possibly in the top three in WCHA last year, and in the link earlier, they have him listed as projected 4th in country this year. I like Alt, but some people on here seem to see more in him than I do. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a ton of potential, and shows it at times, but he was not a stellar player last year.

Comment

LET'S GO GO-PHERS!!!!

clap-clap-clap-clap-clap

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                I don't know if this was just a list, but if this is a ranking, I can't say I agree. Alt is good, but Schmidt was possibly in the top three in WCHA last year, and in the link earlier, they have him listed as projected 4th in country this year. I like Alt, but some people on here seem to see more in him than I do. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a ton of potential, and shows it at times, but he was not a stellar player last year.
                                Yeah I like Alt in the number 1 spot, Schmidt right there along with him at 1a. But that's me...

Comment

Working...
                                X