Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Gopher recruits Hudson Fasching and Taylor Cammarata will be among 40 of the top American prospects eligible for the 2013 NHL draft to compete in the inaugural USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game on Saturday in Buffalo. They'll be coached by Phil Housley and former Gopher Rob McClanahan.

Player roster and lots of good information on American-born players growing presence in the NHL in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      Must have been Koho then.

And this year, I agree. Should be no higher than #2 right now.
      Wasn't me. I don't tend to make predictions. I think this team is a top five team for talent in the country, but so much can happen. Don't know how the goalie situation will play out. There are always teams that gel better than most predicted and others with talent, that never get there. and there are always injuries and other issues. And as for the NCAA, it is as much about momentum (and sometimes a little luck) as it is about talent. So I don't care if someone has them at #1, nor if they have them at #5. I just care about they play through the year and end up.

Also, reading all Scoob's posts over the years has practically turned me into an optimist for Goph hockey (compared to the rest of my life).

Comment

From Gophersports, Q & A with Freshman Christian Horn

http://www.gophersports.com/blog/201...tian-horn.html

Last season as a prep hockey player, Christian Horn helped Benilde-St. Margaret's to the Minnesota Class AA state championship. It was the school's first hockey championship since 2001.

Horn piled up 70 points as a senior for the Red Knights including six points in the state tournament. The forward received all-state honors as a junior and senior while racking up school records in career points and assists. Horn also excelled on the lacrosse field and in the classroom.

We caught up with Horn earlier this week...

What's your best memory from winning the high school championship with Benilde-St. Margaret's in 2012?

"The best part was just being with all the guys. We had a great team last year. A lot of times were tough, but being able to show the state that we were a good team and win the state championship like that was really special."

What does it mean to you to play for the University of Minnesota?

"It means a lot. People grow up dreaming about playing here, so getting an opportunity to do it means everything from when you were a kid to now."

How has the adjustment to college classes gone for you?
        "Not too bad. There is a lot more reading and studying that I have to do, but it is good that they set us up with tutors, and we have all of that right at your fingertips. "

What do you think will be your biggest adjustment coming straight from high school hockey into college hockey?

"Definitely my strength, I know I can skate with the guys. I need to get in the weight room and get a little stronger. I need to do the things I can control to compete (on the ice). The more I workout, the bigger I will get and the easier it will become for me."

What do you think is your biggest asset on the ice?
        "I believe I see the ice really well because I can find open guys. When I was younger it was goal scoring, but through high school my assists started to pile up. I think that is what it turned out to be now."

You have experienced a lot of success on the lacrosse field. How does playing lacrosse help you when you are playing hockey?
        "In lacrosse, you have to see the field very well, and I think that has helped me a lot with hockey. Whenever I come back to hockey from playing lacrosse, my legs are ten times stronger from all the running. I can go for miles and miles, so that definitely helps too."

What is one place you would like to travel to if you get the chance?
        Somewhere in Europe, my parents got married in Italy last summer, and that was pretty sweet. Maybe somewhere in England, checking out a soccer game would be pretty cool."

Do you have any superstitions or pregame rituals?
        "I love to take naps before games, and I always put my left equipment on before my right. I also carry around a medal pendant with me on game days that was blessed by the Pope."
        Originally posted by CavalryNate
        Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
        sigpic

Comment

Isn't Mariucci closer to Stadium Village (now with stadium!) than Dinkytown?

I just read the thread title, yes.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

For all of you for which only watching college hockey isn't enough and are suffering with the absence of the NHL:

http://http://bikinihockeyleague.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC
              Gopher All Access will webcast the Lethbridge - Gopher game on Oct. 6th @ 7pm. The cost? A measly $9.95...I'm signing up, but then again I'm rich.
              I'm just going to watch the game from my new seats in Section 15 since there should be more scoring at that end than there was from my old seats in 23. But I'm not rich.

Comment

You can buy tickets cheaper than that on the street.
                MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS!
                National Champions:
                1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 and 2003!!!!

Comment

Gopher All Access will webcast the Lethbridge - Gopher game on Oct. 6th @ 7pm. The cost? A measly $9.95...I'm signing up, but then again I'm rich.

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  For all of you for which only watching college hockey isn't enough and are suffering with the absence of the NHL: http://bikinihockeyleague.com/
                  There will be guys who will watch this for the love of the sport and then there are those hoping for a wardrobe malfunction. My guess is you're in the later category.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                    There will be guys who will watch this for the love of the sport and then there are those hoping for a wardrobe malfunction. My guess is you're in the later category.
                    You forgot the third category; those who watch for the love of the sport, but desperately want a wardrobe malfunction as a bonus...

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      You forgot the third category; those who watch for the love of the sport, but desperately want a wardrobe malfunction as a bonus...
                      I didn't forget...I'm just your setup guy.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                        You really are a homer HondaMC, if a gopher player gets a penalty it's because of physical play and if a UND player gets a penalty it's a cheap shot. Well dummy, the gophers have beaten UND in penalty minutes for 3 of the last 4 years. Sounds like a good run of "physical play" for your boys.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2011-2012/
                        http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2010-2011/
                        http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2009-2010/
                        http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2008-2009/
                        well, one team does resort to cheap shots in the handshake line, and one doesn't. I think you get the idea.
                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                        Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          well, one team does resort to cheap shots in the handshake line, and one doesn't. I think you get the idea.
                          Looks like your team cheap shots for 60 minutes and UND takes exception in the handshake line which takes less than 4 minutes, you get the idea.
                          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Nice to see Nate Schmidt mentioned as one of the top 10 defensemen in college hockey. I would add that his shot is not only a "weapon for him", it's a friggin' cannon from the point! I've been following Nate since his days with the Fargo Force and blocking one of his missiles can definitely be a painful experience.

EDIT: Typical Nate at 1:40 with a rocket to win and seal the Mac.

Last edited by HarleyMC; 10-02-2012, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                              Looks like your team cheap shots for 60 minutes and UND takes exception in the handshake line which takes less than 4 minutes, you get the idea.
                              even Hakstool had to punish your punk-*** player for that one.
                              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                                even Hakstool had to punish your punk-*** player for that one.
                                "punish" in the weakest sense of the word.

Comment

Working...
                                X