Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers 2012-2013: From Dinkytown to Steel City!

Blah blah blah. He took DUMB penalties over the first half of the season. It dud get better and I hope that continues.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      Blah blah blah
      Chew with your mouth open much? That's ugly ok. FWIW smart* the Ambroz penalty totals were 11/1st half and 10/2nd half. So the 2nd half ones were smarter? In his defense, every freshman takes stupid penalties, but that was not the reason he did not score more.

Comment

“@GopherHockey: The #Gophers and @FSNorth are happy to announce Doug McLeod as the new PxP announcer for @GopherHockey. More to follow.”
        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          “@GopherHockey: The #Gophers and @FSNorth are happy to announce Doug McLeod as the new PxP announcer for @GopherHockey. More to follow.”
          http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/092612aaa.html
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m...092612aaa.html

MINNEAPOLIS - FOX Sports North, in conjunction with the University of Minnesota, today named Doug McLeod television play-by-play announcer for the Golden Gopher Men's Hockey team.

McLeod comes to the Twin Cities with extensive play-by-play experience and a strong connection to the Minnesota hockey community. He served as the television voice of the North Stars for six seasons, calling all six games of the 1991 Stanley Cup Finals. In addition, McLeod was the first regular play-by-play announcer for the Gopher hockey team, spending 16 seasons behind the television and radio mic. During his first full season (1978-79) covering the Gophers, the team won the NCAA championship and coach Herb Brooks went on to win the Miracle on Ice Olympic gold medal in Lake Placid. During his career in Minnesota, McLeod also spent fourteen seasons calling the Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament.

"I'm thrilled and honored to return to the Gophers. This is the premier college hockey program in the country and it has always been my dream to come back to broadcast their games again. All my hockey roots are deeply planted in Minnesota and I'm looking forward to again saying, 'It's hockey night in Minnesota'," said Doug McLeod.
            Originally posted by CavalryNate
            Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
              Top 5 Player PEN/PIM (2011-12):

1) Helgeson: 31/70
              2) Hansen: 29/58
              3) Ambroz: 21/53
              4) Budish: 17/45
              5) Alt: 16/43

In his defense, Seth Ambroz's penalty total includes 4 penalties @ 19 min. on Nov. 4th against UND, and again 3 penalties @ 6 min. on Jan. 13 against UND. That's 7 penalties @ 25 minutes against a traditionally physical rival.
              That's something I would expect from a very physical player like Seth Ambroz against a cheap shot rival like UND, especially since Nov. 4th was his first game against a true WCHA rival. Take away the 25 min. and that puts him in the company of Rau and Bjugstad...not penalty liabilities at all.
              Gotta love that logic: "Well if he wouldn't have taken those certain penalties, he would have had less of them. So you can compare him to other, less-penalized players" That's pretty air-tight!

I'll try to use that if I ever get pulled over while driving after drinking (not that I do but it might be useful). "Well officer, if I wouldn't have had those last two drinks, I wouldn't be over the limit, so please just ignore the fact I had those drinks and adjust my blood alcohol content accordingly. Good day to you, Sir!"
              Last edited by johnnypohlfan; 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

I assume McLeod was hired solely on the basis of his awesome mustache in his file photo.
                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                  I assume McLeod was hired solely on the basis of his awesome mustache in his file photo.
                  I think this performance sealed the job for him (McLeod on the call):

@MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                  On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                  High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

That's something I would expect from a very physical player like Seth Ambroz against a cheap shot rival like UND, especially since Nov. 4th was his first game against a true WCHA rival. Take away the 25 min. and that puts him in the company of Rau and Bjugstad...not penalty liabilities at all. I hope Helgeson has finally learned how to establish his presence as an enforcer D of sorts without piling up the PIMs...he took some costly penalties last season.
                    You really are a homer HondaMC, if a gopher player gets a penalty it's because of physical play and if a UND player gets a penalty it's a cheap shot. Well dummy, the gophers have beaten UND in penalty minutes for 3 of the last 4 years. Sounds like a good run of "physical play" for your boys.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2011-2012/
                    http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2010-2011/
                    http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2009-2010/
                    http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2008-2009/
                    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                      You really are a homer HondaMC, if a gopher player gets a penalty it's because of physical play and if a UND player gets a penalty it's a cheap shot. Well dummy, the gophers have beaten UND in penalty minutes for 3 of the last 4 years. Sounds like a good run of "physical play" for your boys.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2011-2012/
                      http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2010-2011/
                      http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2009-2010/
                      http://www.uscho.com/stats/conference/wcha/2008-2009/
                      Sounds like a conspiracy by the officials with an attempt to try and level the playing field between Nodak and the Gophers. Almost worked, but not quite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                        Sounds like a conspiracy by the officials with an attempt to try and level the playing field between Nodak and the Gophers. Almost worked, but not quite.
                        I apologize tiggs, I hadn't considered that angle. I'm glad you're here to lend me some perspective!
                        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
                          Gotta love that logic: "Well if he wouldn't have taken those certain penalties, he would have had less of them. So you can compare him to other, less-penalized players" That's pretty air-tight!

I'll try to use that if I ever get pulled over while driving after drinking (not that I do but it might be useful). "Well officer, if I wouldn't have had those last two drinks, I wouldn't be over the limit, so please just ignore the fact I had those drinks and adjust my blood alcohol content accordingly. Good day to you, Sir!"
                          You missed the point of the discussion, so your analogy does not correlate. One bad game or PIMs in general for Seth Ambroz did not have a consistently negative effect on his ability to score last season. IMO, there were other reasons.

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                          HondaMC
                          At least you didn't write "Gold Wing" so you get a pass for now.
                          Last edited by HarleyMC; 09-27-2012, 02:09 AM.

Comment

The last couple years the Gophers have hosted the University of British Columbia in their first exhibition game of the season. Last year the Gophers won 3-0, outshooting UBC by a huge margin of 44-10 (UBC did not have a SOG in the 1st period).

This season the Gophers host the University of Lethbridge Pronghorns on Oct. 6th from the same conference as UBC, the Canada West University Athletic Association (CWUAA). Lethbridge finished 6th out of 7 teams behind UBC in last season's standings posting a 7-18-3 record. Their primary scoring threat comes from their captain, Dustin Moore (16-13-29) who was fifth in scoring last season in the CWUAA. Their coach Gary Gatto recently acquired a couple high scoring offensive-minded defensemen from the OHL and four recruits from the WHL and AJHL. The Horns may prove to be a slightly better team than UBC last season, but will have a difficult time stopping the scoring talent on the Gopher squad. After the Gophers, the Horns travel south to play Mankato State and then onto UNO before returning to Canada.

Gophers 8, Pronghorns 1

Go Gophers!

Comment

Gophers 8, Pronghorns 1

Go Gophers!
                              Bjugs 8 Pronghorns 1

He will take the whole team on himself, he's just that good.

Comment

Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                                Bjugs 8 Pronghorns 1

He will take the whole team on himself, he's just that good.
                                You mean pick up where he left off at the Panther's development camp?:

Bjugstad shined again, with the first goal of the scrimmage. He was the most dominant player on the ice, and he was actually directing the offense. If he does sign with Florida, expect the 6'-6" Golden Gopher to make an impact in the NHL almost immediately.

Comment

Working...
                                X