The Outdoor Recreation Act turns 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Outdoor Recreation Act turns 50

Odds are that any American born hockey player for a U.S. college hockey team got his start playing AHAUS hockey in a community rink. Odds are that community rink was built with federal funds from the Outdoor Recreation Act signed by Jack Kennedy in April of 1962. If that rink is in a small town almost certainly it was built with federal funds.
    Those rinks - and there are a mess of them - are approaching 50 years in age. They won't get any federal help for repair, and there is little chance of new government funded rinks. Introduction to hockey, access to ice time, and development of hockey skills is likely to decrease in small-town USA unless privatization replaces the influence of the ORA.

Re: The Outdoor Recreation Act turns 50

Happy Birthday?
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
      Odds are that any American born hockey player for a U.S. college hockey team got his start playing AHAUS hockey in a community rink. Odds are that community rink was built with federal funds from the Outdoor Recreation Act signed by Jack Kennedy in April of 1962. If that rink is in a small town almost certainly it was built with federal funds.
      Those rinks - and there are a mess of them - are approaching 50 years in age. They won't get any federal help for repair, and there is little chance of new government funded rinks. Introduction to hockey, access to ice time, and development of hockey skills is likely to decrease in small-town USA unless privatization replaces the influence of the ORA.
      Interesting. Are you suggesting that Jack Kennedy is arguably the most influential American in regards to college hockey today?
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Outdoor hockey in Minnesota pre-dates the Act.

Not worried in the slightest.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
          Interesting. Are you suggesting that Jack Kennedy is arguably the most influential American in regards to college hockey today?
          He's no Juan Mariucci.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
            He's no Juan Mariucci.
            Certainly not.

I do find Dubbs logic interesting. Seemingly, this act is not responsible for the growth of hockey (at least in Minnesota) because there were at least some outdoor rinks in Minnesota before the act. Certainly, there was hockey played in Minnesota before Mariacci, so by that logic, Mariacci cannot be the racist Italian mafioso (or should I use Godfather like Dubbs does?) of Minnesota hockey. We need to find out who built the very first hockey rink in Minnesota to make such a determination.

North Dakota

Comment

Certainly not.

I do find Dubbs logic interesting. Seemingly, this act is not responsible for the growth of hockey (at least in Minnesota) because there were at least some outdoor rinks in Minnesota before the act. Certainly, there was hockey played in Minnesota before Mariacci, so by that logic, Mariacci cannot be the racist Italian mafioso (or should I use Godfather like Dubbs does?) of Minnesota hockey. We need to find out who built the very first hockey rink in Minnesota to make such a determination.

Did you read that article by Let's Play Hockey I posted? Seriously, it's a great article. And being someone who claims to love hockey history so much, I thought you would.

Simple answer is, John Mariucci is considered by most to be the key influence in getting MNHS hockey to where it is today. He traveled the state lobbying schools to start programs, and recruited from within state at Minnesota while most colleges were recruiting primarily in Canada. This gave kids in Minnesota a sense that they could realistically earn a scholarship to play hockey or just play at the next level period.

Before Mariucci there were around a dozen high schools with hockey programs in Minnesota. By the time he died there were over 100.

And this is just his influences on Minnesota Hockey. The article also touches on the ways in which he fought for opportunities for American hockey players in general using his influences in a time where not many American players could even sniff NHL ice time.

There are very good reasons why he is in both Hockey Hall of Fames as a builder.

On the other hand, most of Minnesota's outdoor rinks are community built and operated. The loss of this funding would not diminish outdoor hockey in minnesota. And even without outdoor rinks, kids would still skate on the many lakes we have in this state. You know, like they did on the Range before Mariucci tirelessly worked to grow the sport in the Southern part of the state.

And LOL at you trying to attribute the label of "Godfather of MN Hockey" for Mariucci to me. He was called that before I was even born.

Keep refusing to give the man the respect he deserves to spite me. Maybe one of these days you'll realize your opinion of him means very little to me, but speaks large volumes about truely how knowledgable you really are.
              Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 08-29-2012, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Mariucci's Hockey Hall of Fame Biography...

The name John Mariucci was synonymous with the growth of amateur and professional hockey in Minnesota for over 40 years. He was a player, coach, administrator, and promoter who was a major reason why the game spread faster in the Gopher state than anywhere else in the United States.

The native of Eveleth, Minnesota was a standout in hockey and football as a boy. He later excelled in both sports at the University of Minnesota. In 1940 he was named an all-American on the varsity hockey team while helping the gridiron squad win the NCAA national championship.

As admirable a player as he was, Mariucci's true calling was as a coach and nurturer of talent. He took over as coach of the University of Minnesota hockey team and immediately declined to recruit players from Canada. An important part of this emphasis on home grown talent was a challenge sent out by Mariucci to high schools throughout the state to start their own programs and develop interest in their respective communities. Between 1952 and 1980 the number of high school teams grew from a handful to more than 150.

Mariucci produced several all-Americans at the university and expanded his own horizons by getting involved with international hockey. He coached the US Olympic team to the silver medal at the 1956 Cortina games. In 1967, he returned to the NHL with the expansion Minnesota North Stars as the assistant to general manager, a position he held until his death in 1987.

A charter member of the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, Mariucci won the Lester Patrick award in 1977 for contributions to hockey in the United States. The University of Minnesota also paid tribute to him by renaming its ice hockey facility the Mariucci Arena.

He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1985.
                Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

BC > Gophers
                  National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
                  two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
                  b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Your mom
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by REDMEN2002 View Post
                      BC > Gophers
                      LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At what, importing talent?

You're right!!!!!

Comment

Certainly not.

Hang on! I think you've caught a marlin!
                        "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                        Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                        The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                        Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                          LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At what, importing talent?

You're right!!!!!
                          BC was the first school to win it all with an all American lineup
                          North Dakota

Comment

M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A

Comment

BC was the first school to win it all with an all American lineup
                              Meh.... We've done that more than a few times. Let me know when they do it with only an in-state roster

Comment

Working...
                              X