Ohio State Buckeyes 2012-2013 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State Buckeyes 2012-2013 Thread

Let's get some discussion going! What are everyone's expectations for this season? We certainly lost some offensive firepower but I think Coach Handrahan has this program going in the right direction and we have the talent to keep moving forward. Should be an interesting season. There will be question marks, to be sure, but I think we have the personnel to have a decent season. Looking forward to everyone's thoughts! See you at the games! Go Bucks!

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2012-2013 Thread

7th place

Comment

We lost a tremendous Senior Class last spring, particularly in terms of scoring. To expect anything other than a rebuilding year is probably unfair. But to casually predict the worst season in program history, with no discussion whatsoever, seems unfair as well.

I'd allow that gaining home ice for the playoffs looks like a tall order this season. The stars will likely be better aligned in 2013-14, an Olympic year. But I certainly expect to see a hardworking Buckeye team on the ice; a team to be proud of. We shall see.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of all three coaches on staff! They're my favorite team in the WCHA, but I'm a little bias...

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
          But to casually predict the worst season in program history, with no discussion whatsoever, seems unfair as well.
          It wasn't casual. OSU lost half their goals, returns the least amount of scoring in the WCHA except SCSU and didn't have a 90% netminder last year. Maybe some superstar frosh or transfer comes in and changes things?

Comment

East... You can that about most teams.

Let me say that ther Bucks played well without Spooner and Mac last year against top ranked WI. Of course they will need better tending and someone to pick up the scoring.

Sometimes girls will want to get the puck to the stars too much. I think they will be a hard working team and be around a .500 team or better. Saying that I feel they will finish in the usual 4-5 slot. I have heard they are working hard already and will be in great condition. Good luck Bucks!
            Last edited by WCHFan; 08-29-2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WCHFan View Post
              East... You can say that about most teams.
              If you mean most teams graduate half of their scoring, you are way off. Maybe a handful in all four conferences.

Comment

What I guess I mean is that Most teams lose KEY players and have question marks. Like lets say WI who loses I don't know a TON and BSU who loses GREAT goalie and TOP defender which to me could be a lot worse than losing half your scoring or even the Gophs who lose a TON of scoring and a couple of top defenders not to mention could lose AK for half the season. And UMD who loses their top 1st line player, a few other solid players and Goalie which is huge. Then you have SCSU who scored what 40 goals all year. And MSU who I just don't get why they don't get better. That is just in the WCHA. What I also mentioned that when OSU missed those top scorers they played top teams close.

And let's see if I recall Mercy, Dart, Prov, Corn, Maine all lose a ton of scoring.

So a team might not have to win games by scoring 5 or 6 goals a game. I do think most WCHA teams can score 3 a game so hard to say a team will finish 7th. Not saying they will be top 3 but if they get good goaltending from the jr goalies Knapp who was very good as a FR and Steffes who was very good as a FR which is possible they will finish 4-5. I'm a hockey fan and OSU is one of my favorite teams. Just feel sometimes a team with 18 solid players is better than 15and two super stars. I've seen it many times those 13 watching or not working as hard or forcing a pass to the top player. Watch Hokey score 25 goals this year and someone else follow Kuehl, Tarr, Semenza etc.

It will be a fun interesting season. And if they finish 7th that will be ok. I just don't think they will. Can't wait for the season to start.
                Last edited by WCHFan; 08-29-2012, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                  We lost a tremendous Senior Class last spring, particularly in terms of scoring. To expect anything other than a rebuilding year is probably unfair. But to casually predict the worst season in program history, with no discussion whatsoever, seems unfair as well.

I'd allow that gaining home ice for the playoffs looks like a tall order this season. The stars will likely be better aligned in 2013-14, an Olympic year. But I certainly expect to see a hardworking Buckeye team on the ice; a team to be proud of. We shall see.
                  I actually think we are going to finish in the middle of the pack somewhere. I don't see us getting home ice, but I don't see us in the cellar either. Yes, we lost a lot of scoring, but we have kids back who know how to put the puck in the back of the net, and we only lost two defensemen. I am sure this team is working very hard right now and will continue to work hard. My post may have come across as thinking the team will finish in the top four and get home ice. I don't think that is going to happen this season, but as Coach Handrahan continues to bring in talented recruiting classes, the rebuilding seasons will be exception rather than the rule. I certainly think he has us moving in the right direction.

Comment

I think the Buckeyes contend strongly for the fifth spot...at the least. Watch out for them pesky Beavers.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Brooky, I know you are not a Bemidji fan (obviously), but who are they going to have in net to replace Zuzana? They lost a world class goalie in Tomchikova.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                        Brooky, I know you are not a Bemidji fan (obviously), but who are they going to have in net to replace Zuzana? They lost a world class goalie in Tomchikova.
                        I'm expecting the transfer to get a fair look and possibly be their #1. Not anticipating anyone steps in and equals Tomcikova. They could have goaltending strength similar / equal to OSU though...I'm thinking. Can't say I know much about their goalies and fair to call it a question mark after losing Zuzana I guess. Maybe someone can enlighten us on the freshman from Ontario? Steve Sertich teams are pretty reliable when it comes to a consistent work their butts off effort. I expect that again from the Beavers in 2012-2013.

Beavers might actually be my 2nd favorite team because of their typical effort.
                        Last edited by brookyone; 08-31-2012, 10:47 PM.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Curious...who said that stuff that you have at the bottom of your posts--the political stuff?

Comment

I'd say the quote has its roots in "Unforgiven" starring Clint.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              I'd say the quote has its roots in "Unforgiven" starring Clint.
                              I was hoping for something else but knew it was a stretch.

Comment

Working...
                              X