Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

New thread without reference to a certain hockey player who decided to pass on an incredible UVM hockey experience. Still a lot to look forward to this season, as evidenced by the somewhat optimistic thread title. So....how bout we talk some UVM hockey?!?

Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Great idea. Put the past behind. It won't change.

Question. I understand that Matt Marshall is at Northeastern fro grad school and has 1 year of eligibilty left. It seemed like he never lived up to expectations at NU. Is there anything that would lead you to believe that he can contribute at NU?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
      Question. I understand that Matt Marshall is at Northeastern fro grad school and has 1 year of eligibilty left. It seemed like he never lived up to expectations at NU. Is there anything that would lead you to believe that he can contribute at NU?
      Well, 14 points in 86 career games pretty much says it all, so I don't think there'd be much for him to contribute. Plus, I'd think if he still had some hockey in him, he might have stayed at UVM to do graduate work, a la Brett Leonard last year and John Vezzano this year. Thus, I'm thinking he's putting hockey behind him.

Comment

Good idea to start a new thread

Marshall seems like a nice kid, but addition by subtraction from a productivity standpoint....

I'm sure his parents won't miss the drive from Marshfield MA to BTV on home weekends. They were nice though, I wish the family well.

40 days or so until we drop the puck at the Gutt for an exhibition. Hopefully they play like a team this year.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
          40 days or so until we drop the puck at the Gutt for an exhibition. Hopefully they play like a team this year.
          Yeah, I can't wait. As you know, the exhibitions have not been kind to us in recent years. Thus, the game against Concordia could provide an early preview for the season. Of course, another exhibition loss wouldn't be a good sign. A convincing win might be at least a small sign that this season will be different. We'll see soon.

Comment

UVM starts with 9 straight Hockey East games to start the season, against teams they should be competing with. We will see early where the Cats are at. They need to start strong and never look back....

No OOC games to start the season though kinda takes away the chance to gel in game with the exception of the exhibition game.
            Originally posted by Hokydad
            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Matt Marshall...Art Femenella. TB Lightning late round picks haven't been good for the Catamounts. Wasn't expecting him to make any kind of jump this year anyway. He's not on the 12-13 roster on the UVM website, and neither are any of the freshman. Classes started today, and I don't think there was a recruit release at all. Anyone want to take a stab at predicting the lineup? Lot of spots up for grabs it seems.

Comment

Story from WCAX on the Cats off-season training

WCA***** Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
                Originally posted by Hokydad
                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Just an opinion, but I feel that head coach Sneddon has improved his coaching staff with the acquisitions of Patrick and Wallach. Good luck this upcoming season Cats!!
                  I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                    Well, 14 points in 86 career games pretty much says it all, so I don't think there'd be much for him to contribute. Plus, I'd think if he still had some hockey in him, he might have stayed at UVM to do graduate work, a la Brett Leonard last year and John Vezzano this year. Thus, I'm thinking he's putting hockey behind him.

Looks like Marshall is using his final year of eligibility at NU. The roster and recruiting class were released yesterday
                    http://gonu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2226
                    my huskies > your huskies

Comment

From my understanding, we still have a scholarship available as of right now. Any word on who that might go to? Someone who has been riding the bench, or are they going to give it to someone they can draw in?
                      Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                      National Champions 1992, 2001
                      21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                      National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                      Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Originally posted by NU bee View Post
                        Looks like Marshall is using his final year of eligibility at NU. The roster and recruiting class were released yesterday
                        http://gonu.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2226
                        Really?!? That's a little surprising and, again, makes me wonder what's going on with our hockey program. I'd be curious to know how he ended up at NU. If Sneddon told him he'd prefer if he used his remaining year of eligibility somewhere else, I don't have any problem with that. After all, he wasn't a key player and, frankly, won't be missed. However, if it was Marshall preferring to play for a different coach or program, I'd be interested to know why, especially when you consider all the other players that have left or been dismissed in the last couple of years.

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into it, counting Marshall theres 3 transfers in this incoming class for NU. Of the 8 who left NU after last season, 7 had remaining eligibility. If I had to guess the coaching staff was looking for transfers, because by bringing in transfers you limit the amount of true freshman and keep the classes from getting really unbalanced. So from my point of view this says more about NU than UVM
                          my huskies > your huskies

Comment

Originally posted by NU bee View Post
                            I wouldn't read too much into it, counting Marshall theres 3 transfers in this incoming class for NU. Of the 8 who left NU after last season, 7 had remaining eligibility. If I had to guess the coaching staff was looking for transfers, because by bringing in transfers you limit the amount of true freshman and keep the classes from getting really unbalanced. So from my point of view this says more about NU than UVM
                            Just for clarification, since he graduated from UVM academically he is able to transfer without having to sit out a season as with mid college career transfers?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                              Just for clarification, since he graduated from UVM academically he is able to transfer without having to sit out a season as with mid college career transfers?
                              Yeah, I believe that's right. Same as when Brett Brunetau transferred to UVM from North Dakota and didn't have to sit out a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X