Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Just picking out some things to comment on...

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Just picking out some things to comment on....
    Did somebody ask?

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    I think Sneddon, for whatever reason, has lost his way as a coach.
    He lost his way when he took a left out of the parking lot of Union College.

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    I don't think anyone thought the loss of Stalberg and Girgenson was going to help,
    As for a new arena, that IMO isn't much of a savior. UVM certainly needs a new rink, there's no denying that... but I think that's a marginal boost in recruiting.
    Girgenson has a blazing 9 pts in 31 games with Rochester. Are you having fun Zemgus?

A brand new arena with all the amenities is like crack to a potential teenage recruit.
    Buffoon Detector

Comment

If you're having trouble answering this question, it's because losing to Penn State at this point in time IS embarrassing.
      I was wondering when you would get board and have to come and annoy us again.....whats the matter this years team not exciting you enough.

i quess winning isnt everything.
      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

I think you're likely in this scenario even with a new rink. With Notre Dame coming in, UVM is going to be bumped one spot lower. No new rink (short of an Engelstad type project) will help UVM compete with BC, Notre Dame, or BU - they will still have every possible advantage. It would be tough to compete with UNH even. So we're talking 5th place at best. Without the tournament expanding, that's going to be tough to even snag an NCAA bid. So UVM will be there with the very once-in-a-while run just like we have seen with Umass (HE finals/NCAA win over Clarkson), Merrimack (HE Finals/ NCAA bid), Northeastern (HE semis/NCAA bid) in various points in the last decade in addition to the 2009 run for UVM.

It is what it is. There's a natural pecking order with gravitational pull that is very hard to overcome.
        Sadly, I think you're correct. In fact, that gravitational pull will keep tugging on a team that has seemingly overcome it (see Maine). With a real solid showing when we entered the league, and then our back to back tourney appearances including a trip to the Frozen Four, I was beginning to think we were getting there, or at least on the right track. Of course, the last couple of seasons and this one have proven otherwise and, quite frankly, have been a real kick in the nuts. I wish I didn't care so much, but I do.

I don't think we can turn things around without a new coach or arena, preferably both. Although I don't see either happening soon, a new coach is the more immediate need and will have a bigger impact. We shall see.

Comment

• Coach Sneddon W. L. T. Pct
          Career Totals: 192 -266 -69 .430
          Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what the problem is...
          Last edited by NyCat; 01-23-2013, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NyCat View Post
            Coach Sneddon W. L. T. Pct
            Career Totals: 192 -266 -69 .430
            Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out what the problem is...
            Yes every category getting worse as the year goes on except penalty minutes: http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/natteam13.php

Hoffman is really the only thing that changed. Oh, they have played the BU decommit on the point on the Power Play.

Comment

Why don’t we play Faust? Really, not even in a non league game? It’s not like we are winning with Hoffmann in the net. 22 Straight games in the net with a record of 6 – 12 – 4, and the announcers say it’s not a surprise? Give Faust a few games and see what he can do. Let him have a chance to get in a rhythm, and not just putting him in cold in a 2nd and a 3rd period situation, only in a mop up roll. What kind of message is the coaching staff sending him? How do you think his confidence is about now?

Faust played 51 games and 3,000 minutes last year in the BCHL, with a .913 save percentage with 1,499 saves. This kid saw a lot of rubber, was one of the best goalies in the BCHL, and from what I read was MVP of his team, and finished in the top 10 of the BCHL.

People talk about a recruit coming in next year, yet they have not even given Faust a game? If Michael Santaguida sees what is going on here, he might want to reconsider. It seems like the staff is content with one goalie, and not having a 2nd goalie with any game experience or a 3rd for that matter. And with the team’s current record...... I don’t get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Puck View Post
                Why don’t we play Faust? Really, not even in a non league game? It’s not like we are winning with Hoffmann in the net.
                I agree. Give him a shot. If I remember correctly in the '04-'05 season Travis Russel started the season on a rocky note before a freshman goaltender named Joe Fallon got a shot to right the ship. Fallon didn't start immediately, wasn't the chosen #1 goalie... seems Faust deserves a shot to show what he can do.
                Originally posted by Hokydad
                Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Really???????????????????????????????????????????? ???

23 Straight games in the net with a record of 6 – 13 – 4,

GIVE FAUST A GAME...............

Comment

192-267-69

Comment

• Originally posted by NyCat View Post
                      192-267-69
                      Please put us out of this misery. John come back. Please

Comment

• Originally posted by NyCat View Post
                        192-267-69
                        Phil Housley is coaching a high school team and Mr. 192-267-69 is coaching at UVM? He is a HOF and just won Gold at WJ. I know other circumstances have Housley where he is but I can dream...
                        Last edited by forsberg21; 01-26-2013, 09:50 AM.
                        GO CATS GO!

2013 U20 Gold Medal
                        2010 U20 Gold Medal
                        USA HOCKEY
                        1996 World Cup Champions
                        2010 & 2002 Olympic Silver Medal
                        2004 U20 Gold Medal
                        U18 Gold '09, '06 & '05
                        WNT 2008 & 2009 World Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Puck View Post
                          Why don’t we play Faust? Really, not even in a non league game?
                          I've been saying this same thing for a while and am baffled by Sneddon's unconditional devotion to Hoffman. I thought Faust should have been given the start against Penn State, a largely meaningless non-conference game. Hoffman, while good at times, could certainly benefit from a rest, and isn't Sneddon the least bit curious to see what Faust can do under game conditions? In addition to the stats about Faust that you cited, he also apparently worked out with LA Kings players and other NHL'ers in pick-up games last summer. The guy has something going for him, lets see what that is. Give him the start tonight against UMass--we have NOTHING to lose.

Comment

I found a cheap hotel in Burlington for the night, so I'm heading up to the game. I've never been before. Anything I should check out after the game?

Also, my ticket is right by the student section (section 14). I've been advised by a friend that wearing a UMass jersey is a bad idea at the Gut. I know this sounds really hypocritical coming from a UMass fan, but should I leave it at home or will I be fine? I don't mind if people verbally harass me. In fact, I kind of enjoy that, sick as it sounds. I don't want to get into a fight though.

Lastly, it seemed watching the feed that the rink wasn't to capacity last night. Also, section 14 looks like it probably has a terrible view. How strict is the Gut about where you sit? If I find an empty seat, can I take it, or will they have staff checking my ticket?

Thanks in advance.
                            #NewMass

Comment

Vermont picked up a couple of commitments yesterday both for 2013 I believe, Chris Mustoby, LD from Brooks (AJHL). Born 2/28/92 in Alberta, he has a 5-18-23 in 33 games.

Also, RW Keith Irwin who plays for Green Bay (USHL) will be coming in, born 7/9/93 from Hinckley, OH. He's played 35 games, 15-12-27.
                              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                                Vermont picked up a couple of commitments yesterday both for 2013 I believe, Chris Mustoby, LD from Brooks (AJHL). Born 2/28/92 in Alberta, he has a 5-18-23 in 33 games.

Also, RW Keith Irwin who plays for Green Bay (USHL) will be coming in, born 7/9/93 from Hinckley, OH. He's played 35 games, 15-12-27.
                                Oh my. Did a google search on Irwin. Here is what I found:

http://www.kcci.com/Hockey-Players-C...k/-/index.html

http://whotv.com/2012/03/22/hockey-f...ng-spectators/

Looks like he might have been committed to Ohio State and lost his scholarship over this incident.
                                Last edited by catmandoo; 01-26-2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X