Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont Hockey: Taking No Prisoners In 2012-2013

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    I disagree. He's not going to be fired if he's still under contract. UVM just isn't the type of school to do that. It's not like this is Kentucky basketball or Florida football. If Sneddon's unable to get things turned around, the best anyone can hope for is that he won't be given a new contract. I'm not sure that kind of talk is warranted yet, but things seem to be heading in that direction.
    This is supposed to be our premier sport and Corran has had things going more like a Kentucky than a small school. He did get rid of Bothwell before his contract was up (several years too late mind you - but they were Bud's).

Kevin is a smart man, a nice guy, and a man of principles, but something does need to change. I thought after that first scrimmage when we shot constantly we were seeing a change, but the following games proved otherwise. I've always said you don't score if you don't shoot and half of the goals teams get are fluke goals. We need to SHOOT, SHOOT and SHOOT. None of this fancy finesse stuff. We have the finesse but if the puck is never shot on net, that means nothing. I know we aren't a top team, but we are MUCH better than our record. We can finish in the top 6 with the talent we have. If we score 3 goals and lose, then so-be-it. You can't win with zero goals. It also helps to win with outstanding conditioning, so far that doesn't look bad, but for pete's sake shoot the puck!

Comment

I really thought they would give UNH a tough game, I even had hopes of surprising them. But they seem to be going backwards a bit. Not sure how much of that is Markison and Reynolds missing but it surely does not help to lose two of your top 4 forwards on a team that lacks offensive ability to begin with.

I think they will be in the battle for 6 through 9 but every game is critical and they need to OUTWORK the other team to win. Getting outworked by a more skilled team (BC, BU and UNH) is not an option. They need to get points against the non-elite teams at every opportunity.

I suspect the parking lot will clear out early on Friday unless a miracle happens. Sunday should be a good game and the Cats need points in that one or things will be slipping away again.

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
        I really thought they would give UNH a tough game, I even had hopes of surprising them. But they seem to be going backwards a bit. Not sure how much of that is Markison and Reynolds missing but it surely does not help to lose two of your top 4 forwards on a team that lacks offensive ability to begin with.

I think they will be in the battle for 6 through 9 but every game is critical and they need to OUTWORK the other team to win. Getting outworked by a more skilled team (BC, BU and UNH) is not an option. They need to get points against the non-elite teams at every opportunity.

I suspect the parking lot will clear out early on Friday unless a miracle happens. Sunday should be a good game and the Cats need points in that one or things will be slipping away again.
        Their best game so far has been thier first game. What does that tell you? I am trying as hard as I can to keep the faith.

Comment

3-0 BU already with a minute and a half left in the first. I need to change the thread title to "Vermont Hockey: Getting Taken Prisoner in 2012-13!" Hate to say it, but this team sucks with a capital "S." Although Sneddon's stock is quickly dropping with me, the bigger issue is that this team is talentless and couldn't put the puck in the ocean if their lives depended on it. While Hoffman couldn't do much on the goals, with the game quickly out of reach, I think it's another good time to see what Faust can do. It's not like things can get worse.

Comment

Hockey East needs an A and B league.....

Comment

• Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
              . I need to change the thread title to "Vermont Hockey: Getting Taken Prisoner in 2012-13!".
              I was thinking you would be better off actually taking prisoners.
              Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Originally posted by vstar View Post
                Hockey East needs an A and B league.....
                I am starting to think you are right. We just cant compete at the upper level of this conference and I really cant understand it as I really dont think its recruiting as of these guys had good success in their previous leagues. I think its just a style of play being jammed down their throats that most cant adjust to. Freshman D tonight for Vermont were not in same league as BU freshman D but that is somewhat acceptable as they are freshman. Luukko needs to be shown where the D zone is. Last two games he has been a disaster defensively. I appreciate that he adds offense but lets be accountable defensively first. Lenz still takes untimely undisciplined penalties that kill any momentum. Not what a captain should do. I hope Bricks is ok. Sneddons post game interview is comical to almost scary where he says we wanted to create a little "buzz" in the 3rd so we let our guys go??? Please dear god" let them go" but start it in the 1st period. Thats all I know and I try and call it like I saw it.

Comment

Man! It's already been a long season in Burlington and the turkey isn't even in the oven yet. Has to feel lousy--on the heals of last year. I love the Gutt but recruiting matters and if kids look at the other rinks out there they are going to put UVM at the bottom of the list. It's time for some fundraising people!
                  Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by BU2K View Post
                    I was thinking you would be better off actually taking prisoners.
                    Actually aren't there some decent BU players in the clink right now we could recruit......

Comment

• Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                      I am starting to think you are right. We just cant compete at the upper level of this conference and I really cant understand it as I really dont think its recruiting as of these guys had good success in their previous leagues. I think its just a style of play being jammed down their throats that most cant adjust to. Freshman D tonight for Vermont were not in same league as BU freshman D but that is somewhat acceptable as they are freshman. Luukko needs to be shown where the D zone is. Last two games he has been a disaster defensively. I appreciate that he adds offense but lets be accountable defensively first. Lenz still takes untimely undisciplined penalties that kill any momentum. Not what a captain should do. I hope Bricks is ok. Sneddons post game interview is comical to almost scary where he says we wanted to create a little "buzz" in the 3rd so we let our guys go??? Please dear god" let them go" but start it in the 1st period. Thats all I know and I try and call it like I saw it.
                      Big game today to see if the team rebounds from two thumpings by the A division and can beat a struggling NU team. Anybody know if Reynolds is back in the lineup?

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                        It is the players.. they are not as good as 2/3 of HE. Yes, some of them were hot prospects when they were 15 or 16, but most have not panned out when they got to Burlington. The talent on this team would be middle of the pack in ECAC. As an FYI, Kravchenko is like the 4th leading scorer in USHL. I know some on here said he was a "one-dimensional player", but right now that one dimension would be pretty handy to have. Not to mention the top returning forward who got benched after the 4th game for being in a "slump". I hope Hoffman can keep the Cats in some games and they learn how to grind out some wins, but this is not looking good so far. I think perhaps the most telling game of the season could be when Union comes to town in December and we get to see who has recruited more talent - UVM with all the scholarships & HE prestige or the team that Sneddon "took as far as I could".

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                          Big game today to see if the team rebounds from two thumpings by the A division and can beat a struggling NU team. Anybody know if Reynolds is back in the lineup?
                          Unless we see a vastly different team, I don't see them beating NU, struggling or not. Thus, if I were picking, I'd say NU 4-2. If Kevin Roy were to score a couple of goals, well that'd be just another kick in the nuts. Re Reynolds, he played Friday against BU, so unless he was hurt in that game, I'd expect to see him in the lineup.

Comment

Northeastern is 2-3 in their last 5 with those two wins against UAH. Two losses versus MC and a loss to PC (actually a drubbing to PC). UVM has a tie against MC and a win versus PC, with the loss to PC being a relatively close game. In this league it really is any given night and some teams just play better against other team styles, but I will be disappointed if the Cats can't scrape one out tonight. PC, MC, UMA, NU, UML, ME... these are the teams we need to pick up some points from because UVM isn't going to pick up more then a point against the likes of UNH, BU, BC...

Right now NU, ME, and UML are struggling, this team needs to strike while the time is ripe.

What WILL be interesting in this game is who starts in net. I'm not at all sold on Hoffman just yet, it will be interesting to see if Hoffman or Faust gets the nod and if it is Faust how he will do.
                            Originally posted by Hokydad
                            Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                              Northeastern is 2-3 in their last 5 with those two wins against UAH. Two losses versus MC and a loss to PC (actually a drubbing to PC). UVM has a tie against MC and a win versus PC, with the loss to PC being a relatively close game. In this league it really is any given night and some teams just play better against other team styles, but I will be disappointed if the Cats can't scrape one out tonight. PC, MC, UMA, NU, UML, ME... these are the teams we need to pick up some points from because UVM isn't going to pick up more then a point against the likes of UNH, BU, BC...

Right now NU, ME, and UML are struggling, this team needs to strike while the time is ripe.

What WILL be interesting in this game is who starts in net. I'm not at all sold on Hoffman just yet, it will be interesting to see if Hoffman or Faust gets the nod and if it is Faust how he will do.
                              Great win for the team! Two important points. Did it without "Bricks" and Matt White which is even better. Thank god for Hoffman and Colton Saucerman.

Comment

The Brett Bruneteau goal late in the game was a thing of beauty! And it was nice to see someone score, in a situation where they absolutely should have scored. Regarding Bricks, he's got to be one of the most injury prone players in the history of UVM hockey. It'll be interesting to see how we play against a UMass team that got hammered. I'm sure they're not happy and will be looking to take their frustrations out on UVM.

Comment

Working...
                                X