Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2012 Part III: BYOB: Bring Your Own Bratwurst

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I don't know about other schools, especially those that are national powers in basketball and football, but it has been mentioned here that RPI did not receive any money from B2/America One.
    That's why I was using the word "possible". One thing that is true, though, is that several of the ECAC teams do their own independent stream without the help of a national syndicate (I believe Brown, Cornell, and Yale are a few of them) and have a pay-per-view system. Us offering the same stream, and as some of their posters have admitted is higher quality than their own, at our price would drive revenue away from their own attempts to make money. Obviously college hockey fans would favour that, but it's their home and they have the "gold" there, so they make the rules. Granted, when TW was in HFH we would ship their feed to B2, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they do for the independent streams.
    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 09-13-2012, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      That's why I was using the word "possible". One thing that is true, though, is that several of the ECAC teams do their own independent stream without the help of a national syndicate (I believe Brown, Cornell, and Yale are a few of them) and have a pay-per-view system. Us offering the same stream, and as some of their posters have admitted is higher quality than their own, at our price would drive revenue away from their own attempts to make money. Obviously college hockey fans would favour that, but it's their home and they have the "gold" there, so they make the rules. Granted, when TW was in HFH we would ship their feed to B2, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they do for the independent streams.
      Has anyone tried to watch those other steams? It is like watching my 2 year old daughter walk around with our video camera. But I still pony up the $7 or whatever the price is to watch the game instead of just listening to it on the radio through WRPI 91.5.

If they are paying for the radio people to travel and bring their equipment to broadcast free what would another couple of people and a few more containers of equipment cost? One would think not too much more. Let the schools sell our feed I do not care.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
        Has anyone tried to watch those other steams? It is like watching my 2 year old daughter walk around with our video camera. But I still pony up the $7 or whatever the price is to watch the game instead of just listening to it on the radio through WRPI 91.5.

If they are paying for the radio people to travel and bring their equipment to broadcast free what would another couple of people and a few more containers of equipment cost? One would think not too much more. Let the schools sell our feed I do not care.
        The radio people travelling is part of the Rensselaer Union's budget, and I don't know if anyone who is on this forum would be able to provide input to that board regarding a travel budget for RPI-TV, not to mention a technical ability to make a live broadcast; they'd likely need to send a satellite signal back to Troy, given that there are some sites that still don't have internet access (the WRPI people use a conventional landline telephone with modem to broadcast away games).

Comment

Originally posted by RKarger View Post
          While that would be wonderful, it has the problem of needing to transport several RPITV members and their equipment everywhere the team went, and I'm sure RPITV doesn't have that in their budget, nor is anyone jumping up and down to fund it.

It would be a nice way to show all of college hockey how talented and professional the RPITV crew is, though.
          I have always wished that TWC would broadcast some RPI away games, which could be easily done at the schools where TWC arleady does games, such as Colgate, Cornell, etc.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            I have always wished that TWC would broadcast some RPI away games, which could be easily done at the schools where TWC arleady does games, such as Colgate, Cornell, etc.
            They typically do Colgate. Granted, you usually have to come out to my area to see it on TV, and I'm at the game. It was interesting hearing uncensored cusses from the refs, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              If the NHL talks go nowhere fast-lots of sports networks will be looking to fill a lot of hours of televised sports. I would hope it could mean a lot for college hockey but my guess ist hey will fill the time with tractor pulls and Nascar racing reruns.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                If the NHL talks go nowhere fast-lots of sports networks will be looking to fill a lot of hours of televised sports. I would hope it could mean a lot for college hockey but my guess ist hey will fill the time with tractor pulls and Nascar racing reruns.
                Nah, high school basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  I remember during the last lockout, the River Rats games were shown up here on FSNY in some of the Devils time slots. Doc Emerick was up here calling games. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    And one voter gave Seth Appert the ECAC CotY. RPI is the only school except for newcomer QU whhich has never had a coach receive that award.
                    For how long has the ECAC been giving out a Coach of the Year award?

If they were giving it out as long ago as 1984-85, I'd like to know the name of the coach who impressed the voters more than the guy who brought his team home 35-2-1 that year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post

It would actually be a lot more. They have 2 people and ~20lbs of gear. It takes many more people, and many more pounds of equipment to do TV.
                      Watch many of the RPI hockey games on our website, rpitv.org

Comment

Originally posted by mackek2 View Post
                        It would actually be a lot more. They have 2 people and ~20lbs of gear. It takes many more people, and many more pounds of equipment to do TV.
                        Bah! Humbug!

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

If they were giving it out as long ago as 1984-85, I'd like to know the name of the coach who impressed the voters more than the guy who brought his team home 35-2-1 that year.
                          1986-87 http://www.augenblick.org/chha/ecac_awd.html
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

In honor of C. J. Lee, today is 14 September 2012. There are 22 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is scheduled.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

Obviously they hadn't had the award yet, but given Player of the Year went to someone from Harvard, I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened for the Coach award.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidSec17 View Post
                                I remember during the last lockout, the River Rats games were shown up here on FSNY in some of the Devils time slots. Doc Emerick was up here calling games. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
                                Personally, I'd love to see it. I love the AHL and seeing guys develop. NHL players are overpaid primadonnas and the owners made them that way...they are well suited for one another.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X