SNC 2012-13 Regular Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SNC 2012-13 Regular Season Thread

Better effort from SNC against Stout this afternoon, getting the W, 4 -- 1.
    Interesting twist was #3 goalie, Mike Martin, getting the start. He performed well and shutout the Blue Devils to the point (5:00 left in period two) when Jacobson took over.
    Sets up a major contest with Eau Claire next Friday night.
    SNC Men:
    Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints17 View Post
      Easy there, he's a great guy and an excellent color commentator.
      Unless by excellent you mean terrible and contributes nothing we'll have to agree to disagree. "Silky mitts"? Really? Too bad, too as I thought the play by play guy was really, really good. Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk but I'd expect a place like SNC to have better than what I heard from that guy. It sounded like a random fanboy was grabbed out of the stands or something.
      A decade of excuses.

MSOE RAIDER HOCKEY!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raidineer View Post
        Unless by excellent you mean terrible and contributes nothing we'll have to agree to disagree. "Silky mitts"? Really? Too bad, too as I thought the play by play guy was really, really good. Sorry, I'm not trying to be a jerk but I'd expect a place like SNC to have better than what I heard from that guy. It sounded like a random fanboy was grabbed out of the stands or something.
        Raidineer, You have no idea what you are talking about in regards to color commentating. When commentators use these terms this means they have knowledge of the game, played the games and have been around the game their whole life. There are too many cases where there are hockey commentators that have never played the game before, but instead their last job was broadcasting the local high school basketball game. I feel that the SNC color commentator is great because he has the knowledge of the game, he’s played the game and has been in the players shoes and know what is going on. You listen to the packers broadcasts over the radio and do you think all the listeners know all the slang terms Larry McCarron uses? Nickel package, cover 2, west coast offense or in the case of the 49ers the pistol formation? Absolutely not! These guys have the knowledge that not the normal everyday viewer has. I believe he does a great job and SNC is lucky to have a guy within the program like that who donates his time away from his family. Great programs are surrounded by great people and he is one of them, and does one hell-of-a job. On a side note, study up on the game, learn some things because you’re going to have to get use to it when SNC joins the MCHA next year, if not, it will be long season for you in Raider nation, but maybe if you listen you’ll learn a few things here and there from him.

Comment

I'm wondering if there aren't two different things being talked about here regarding the radio broadcast. If Raidineer is talking about the guy who joins Tim D once in a while and does some color I honestly have no opinion because I can't tell you the last time I heard him work a game. Since Tim is clearly the play by play guy and does a terrific job I'm assuming that's where he's going. warrior, who was doing the color with Tim?

On the games this weekend, I can't remember the last time I saw an effort like Friday. It was especially disappointing because Stout's goalie was coughing up rebounds like crazy on Friday but they just couldn't take advantage. Tonight's effort was pretty solid. I liked how they were playing in front of Mike Martin and couldn't believe they replaced him with 35 minutes of shutout hockey under his belt but considering he didn't come out to the bench for the 3rd period I'm guessing it wasn't a voluntary move.
          Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
          2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
          2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
          Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Martin did not return to the box, but it was a great to see our team pull it back together.
            Hmmm maybe it was the cookies I gave them prior to the game.
            Too bad that first goal for Superior wasn't enough at Eau Claire, even though they out shot the blugolds.
            Should be a great game next Friday.
            Last edited by GBhockeygal; 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I usually steer clear of posting on the boards, and was going to here as well but I couldn't stay out of it anymore. As his partner on many of our home games (and some road), I think the way in which Raidineer attacks Chris Spiering here is unnecessarily harsh. Constructive criticism is fine, and I can tell you Chris is trying to grow as a broadcaster (which means walking the line between professional and 'fanboy'). He gives of his time and has a passion for the game and the team. He'll be travelling to UWEC on his own dime Friday to be a part of the broadcast.
              Everyone has the right to their opinion for certain, I just think we sometimes need a reminder that behind the microphone is a human being who is trying... and behind a D3 microphone is often a guy who is volunteering his time to bring broadcasts to players' friends and families who cannot be there themselves. Having been in that saddle for 20 years, I shudder to think how my name would have been slandered on these boards in 1993 when I was starting out.
              Respectfully, the guy often referred to as "Derozier".

Comment

Originally posted by bango3 View Post
                I usually steer clear of posting on the boards, and was going to here as well but I couldn't stay out of it anymore. As his partner on many of our home games (and some road), I think the way in which Raidineer attacks Chris Spiering here is unnecessarily harsh. Constructive criticism is fine, and I can tell you Chris is trying to grow as a broadcaster (which means walking the line between professional and 'fanboy'). He gives of his time and has a passion for the game and the team. He'll be travelling to UWEC on his own dime Friday to be a part of the broadcast.
                Everyone has the right to their opinion for certain, I just think we sometimes need a reminder that behind the microphone is a human being who is trying... and behind a D3 microphone is often a guy who is volunteering his time to bring broadcasts to players' friends and families who cannot be there themselves. Having been in that saddle for 20 years, I shudder to think how my name would have been slandered on these boards in 1993 when I was starting out.
                The world is full of critics. I say to them, "sit down behind the mic and see how much better you can do".
                I am sure the vast majority of the listeners to SNC broadcasts appreciate the job you and Chris are doing.
                Keep up the good work!!
                Last edited by pete99race; 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM.
                SNC Men:
                NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                SNC Women:

Comment

Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                  The world is full of critics. I say to them, "stick down behind the mic and see how much better you can do".
                  I am sure the vast majority of the listeners to SNC broadcasts appreciate the job you and Chris are doing.
                  Keep up the good work!!
                  I too am one who will usually steer clear of the message boards but since I am the "Color Commentator" mentioned here I felt a response to be necessary. I will start with a sincere Thank You to our listeners. Past, present, and future. There would be no reason to broadcast if the listener wasn't there. When the Microphone flips on at 6:45 PM CT on Friday night you become an ambassador for the action on the ice. Your listener may be a Parent, Alumni, Student, Faculty Member, Board Member, a great hockey fan, or even another player/coach from another institution watching themselves gain 2 points in a tight conference race. Feedback from the listener is something that is always welcome. Regardless if that feedback is viewed as negative or positive it provides tremendous great growth opportunity. The feedback allows us to fine tune the final product and improve that experience for the listener.

People have asked me why do I broadcast? I choose to broadcast because there is a father in Haines Junction Yukon who cant hop in his truck and drive to the rink on Friday Night. There is Grandparents in Antigo WI that may find it difficult to make it every weekend. The families of graduated players that still remain connected in Superior, Thunder Bay, or listening live from Sweden. The family huddled around the laptop in Alberta that hasn't seen their boys play together since pond hockey. I broadcast, and always will for this reason, for the boys. Their two, three, or four years are quite short and the time we get to enjoy/broadcast their play is short as well. The fact of the matter is that the ultimate goal, win or lose, is an education and what we watch is just a game. When the bus no longer leaves on Thursday and the puck doesn't drop on Friday and Saturday night these NCAA student athletes will become contributors to wherever they may land. To say I am a fan of the game, or a fan of the program is an understatement. The game has become a growing part of the fiber of my being since before I can remember. The program makes it difficult to not become a fan when it represents a first class institution with first class leadership, players, families, and first class fans.

Thank you again for listening.

Congratulations to Tim Derozier on his induction into the Hall of Fame!

Sincerely, "Spiering"

Comment

Originally posted by GKP Radio View Post
                    I too am one who will usually steer clear of the message boards but since I am the "Color Commentator" mentioned here I felt a response to be necessary. I will start with a sincere Thank You to our listeners. Past, present, and future. There would be no reason to broadcast if the listener wasn't there. When the Microphone flips on at 6:45 PM CT on Friday night you become an ambassador for the action on the ice. Your listener may be a Parent, Alumni, Student, Faculty Member, Board Member, a great hockey fan, or even another player/coach from another institution watching themselves gain 2 points in a tight conference race. Feedback from the listener is something that is always welcome. Regardless if that feedback is viewed as negative or positive it provides tremendous great growth opportunity. The feedback allows us to fine tune the final product and improve that experience for the listener.

People have asked me why do I broadcast? I choose to broadcast because there is a father in Haines Junction Yukon who cant hop in his truck and drive to the rink on Friday Night. There is Grandparents in Antigo WI that may find it difficult to make it every weekend. The families of graduated players that still remain connected in Superior, Thunder Bay, or listening live from Sweden. The family huddled around the laptop in Alberta that hasn't seen their boys play together since pond hockey. I broadcast, and always will for this reason, for the boys. Their two, three, or four years are quite short and the time we get to enjoy/broadcast their play is short as well. The fact of the matter is that the ultimate goal, win or lose, is an education and what we watch is just a game. When the bus no longer leaves on Thursday and the puck doesn't drop on Friday and Saturday night these NCAA student athletes will become contributors to wherever they may land. To say I am a fan of the game, or a fan of the program is an understatement. The game has become a growing part of the fiber of my being since before I can remember. The program makes it difficult to not become a fan when it represents a first class institution with first class leadership, players, families, and first class fans.

Sincerely, "Spiering"
                    +1 very well written/said

Comment

Given that it's a webcast of D3 hockey and not a NHL broadcast on a major network, I think the expectations need to be realistic.
                      My personal opinion is that they do as good a job as any home based announcers...and I've listened to a lot of different webcasts over the years.
                      As a parent who cannot make every game, I can say that I TRULY APPRECIATE the fact that someone is willing to give their time and energy so I can enjoy the games from wherever I'm at.
                      Keep up the good work guys!!

Constructive criticism??....maybe more play by play rather than 10 straight minutes about the movies that get played on the bus trips
                      (sometimes I can only listen while driving....rather than watch)
                      To be fair...Speiring wasn't involved in that

Comment

Originally posted by bango3 View Post
                        As a long time fan and player going way back, I am very proud and appreciative of both of your efforts to "bring home" the games via audio and video. You guys are a great part of the SNC community and hockey in Green Bay. Please continue with the great work and forget the foolish poster who is "picking fly **** out of pepper" regarding your broadcasts.

TBB
                        SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GKP Radio View Post

Sincerely, "Spiering"
                          Please see my comments to Derozier. Keep up the great work! Thank you and congrats to Derozier. I have not heard officially but certainly well deserved if true.
                          SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Toe Blake's Brother View Post
                            As a long time fan and player going way back, I am very proud and appreciative of both of your efforts to "bring home" the games via audio and video. You guys are a great part of the SNC community and hockey in Green Bay. Please continue with the great work and forget the foolish poster who is "picking fly **** out of pepper" regarding your broadcasts.

TBB
                            Great quote, TBB....first heard that from a colleague at the GB retailer, I was working for at the time!!
                            Also, congrats to Tim on the well deserved honor..
                            SNC Men:
                            SNC Women:

Comment

My first question to Ref48 is... We're not an NHL Broadcast on a Major Network?? Thanks for ruining the fantasy!

Sincere thanks to all who posted in defense of Spiering and I... I was not fishing for that in any way when I joined the conversation. And to those who mentioned my election into the SNC Hall of Fame.... I have compromising video of the selection committee. There is no other explanation.

Back into my hole now. Tune in Friday Night!

Comment

Preview to Eau Claire/River Falls games:
                                http://www.snc.edu/athletics/teamfil...ockey13-11.pdf
                                SNC Men:
                                SNC Women:

Comment

Working...
                                X