Heh.

Welcome, Steve.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Re: UAH Hockey 2012-13: Still breathing

Home hockey tomorrow, and I can't go. Coaches' luncheon at noon Friday and I can't go.

But you should go.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

December 30, January 4 & 5: Free Basketball & Hockey Tickets for Alumni Association Members

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....rDb2UK0Q%3D%3D

Someone needs to update them on the Adrian-to-Vanderbilt change for 1/5 game

Comment

Always good to see them grind one out.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            Always good to see them grind one out.

GFM
            Must've been nice.

We'll take it, even if it didn't count on the record.
            Michael Napier - UAH '97
            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
            U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
            NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
            CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
            CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Article on UAH's situation in USCHO.com:
              http://www.uscho.com/2012/12/04/at-a...tough-present/

Dr. Brophy and Coach K^2 were pretty frank, I think. Dr. Brophy didn't hide frustrations with scheduling.
              Michael Napier - UAH '97
              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

McKenna is a solid player. Saw him play for Dexter, for the East Coast Militia (summer tourney team) where he was their top scorer , and the Monarchs. This kid is a solid player and it is shocking that he wasn't picked up sooner. This is a kid that shone even when next to BC and BU recruits. Hopefully he helps UAH get some wins.

Comment

I am a current UAH student and fan of anything and everything sports related. However, on that note, could someone please express to me a descent reason to maintain the hockey program here at UAH outside of nostalgia or sentimental value? I say this because I have attended a few of the games and have found the crowds are non-existent. When I ask fellow students why they don't go they say, "I don't like hockey," or "The program is horrible." As I am writing this post the UAH Chargers are 1-12-1, and have lost to the USA Under-18 squad...and they played hard to win that game against highschool students. It seems to me the funding could be reapropriated to a program that has shown real progress, notably the basketball teams. They play in subpar facilities considering their relative success which is eons beyond anything the UAH Hockey team has done. They as well show future promise which unfortunately the hockey team does not. I think it may be time to let hockey go in Huntsville and see that funding go to programs that draw crowds and get this...are actually entertaining and engaing the students on the campus. Thats my rant and I will finish by saying that I respect every player on the UAH Hockey team....they just don't have what it takes and the school is wasting money on a venture that mostly individuals who are not current students want to keep.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHSTUDENT View Post
                    I am a current UAH student and fan of anything and everything sports related. However, on that note, could someone please express to me a descent reason to maintain the hockey program here at UAH outside of nostalgia or sentimental value? I say this because I have attended a few of the games and have found the crowds are non-existent. When I ask fellow students why they don't go they say, "I don't like hockey," or "The program is horrible." As I am writing this post the UAH Chargers are 1-12-1, and have lost to the USA Under-18 squad...and they played hard to win that game against highschool students. It seems to me the funding could be reapropriated to a program that has shown real progress, notably the basketball teams. They play in subpar facilities considering their relative success which is eons beyond anything the UAH Hockey team has done. They as well show future promise which unfortunately the hockey team does not. I think it may be time to let hockey go in Huntsville and see that funding go to programs that draw crowds and get this...are actually entertaining and engaing the students on the campus. Thats my rant and I will finish by saying that I respect every player on the UAH Hockey team....they just don't have what it takes and the school is wasting money on a venture that mostly individuals who are not current students want to keep.
                    Everyone has their opinion and is perfectly free to express it, but one thing I will say is that the existence of a league is what will help this program thrive. Even if you look at when this program was in the CHA, they played fairly well, and even won the league in its last year of existence. I don't know if you remember the CHA, or if you have only experienced UAH Hockey as an independent school, but it is like day and night. Because of the inherent travel costs associated with visiting a school in the south, combined with the cost saving measures of many schools, you'll find that UAH Hockey spends an exorbitant amount of time on the road, and a league would help to guarantee that this team has plenty of opportunities to play at home. Because of the lack of league association, the lack of administrative support, as well as the lack of opportunities to play at home, recruiting has become a difficult task for the coaching staff.

I will also remind you that ice hockey is, I believe (and Geof please correct me if I'm wrong), UAH's only D-I sport, given most of their sports are at the D-II level. In addition, because of the nature of work in Huntsville, you will find a large number of northern transplant engineers that, with a home schedule of some regularity, will provide a great amount of community support, which ultimately helps the school in terms of funding.

We, as schools who have visited UAH in these dark times to give them home games, are very proud to support a program that has seen success at not only the D-II level, but also the D-I level.

Comment

UAHSTUDENT,
                      I am also a current student. I have been at UAH for 5 years, and am about to become an alumni. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. Yes, our hockey program is struggling right now, but that has not always been the case. The year before I began attending UAH, and then again in my Junior year, the hockey team played in the NCAA D-I tournament after winning the CHA conference championship. After our conference disbanded, we have had a rough couple of seasons as an independent, that is true. UAH is hoping for a home in the WCHA conference. If they are accepted, then I believe UAH will once again be competitive, which will naturally lead to higher attendance. UAH used to pack out the arena when they were winning regularly. The reason we lack quality talent is due to the fact that we are playing as an independent, with no real chance at an auto-bid to the NCAA tourney that teams in conferences have. Also, the uncertain future drives recruits away. A few rough seasons isn't any reason to trash a program that has a rich history, including two D-II national championships (which is two more national championships than the basketball team has.) With the hiring of Kurt Kleinendorst as the new head coach, and UAH's aggressive campaign to get into the WCHA, I believe the program will be competitive again. The current rough seasons are no reason to shutter the program. By the way, hockey attendance is routinely on par with or higher than basketball attendance, it just looks like fewer people because of the size of the arena. I love all of UAH sports, and hockey is what makes UAH and Huntsville unique. On a side-note, People ask where I go to college, and I mention UAH, and they are like "oh yeah, you guys have a D-I hockey program." This has happened to me several times at different locations in the US and Canada. It helps put UAH's name out there. For example, UAH was the host institution for the NCAA D-I Frozen Four.

Comment

I understand there are many passionate fans from past eras when the team's head was above water, and I agree that entrance into conference play (any conference) would greatly improve the team itself and the enviroment surroundng the team with more time spent here in Huntsville. The problem I am simply addressing is what happens in the next season or two seasons when they are still without a conference. I just can't see any conference biting at the heels when home games aren't drawing anywhere near 1,000 fans...not even 500 fans at times to the VBC. I just cannot fathom a scenario where this team given all the variables I am seeing finds its way into a conference prior to the 2014-15 season, and thats only if the current coaching change fundamentally changes the way these guys are playing and we see a move back to a near .500 season. I suppose the question is when will the current and former UAH hockey fans as well as UAH administration admit that this ship cannot be righted and the plug needs to be pulled on this dying patient?

Comment

I understand there are many passionate fans from past eras when the team's head was above water, and I agree that entrance into conference play (any conference) would greatly improve the team itself and the enviroment surroundng the team with more time spent here in Huntsville. The problem I am simply addressing is what happens in the next season or two seasons when they are still without a conference. I just can't see any conference biting at the heels when home games aren't drawing anywhere near 1,000 fans...not even 500 fans at times to the VBC. I just cannot fathom a scenario where this team given all the variables I am seeing finds its way into a conference prior to the 2014-15 season, and thats only if the current coaching change fundamentally changes the way these guys are playing and we see a move back to a near .500 season. I suppose the question is when will the current and former UAH hockey fans as well as UAH administration admit that this ship cannot be righted and the plug needs to be pulled on this dying patient?
                          I highly recommend you check your facts before posting misinformation. Only one of UAH's home games has seen attendance under 1000 (and it was above 500), and I'm sure an attendance of over 5000 against MSU-M means nothing to you.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1213/schedules/alhm

Comment

Perhaps UAH should've abolished the men's basketball program when they were 1-25 in 1993-94. The crowds then were non-existent, too. Maybe we kept that program around for sentimental reasons. Do you think that was a good idea?

I understand your opinion, but there are many of us who do believe UAH hockey can thrive once again. As for "anything the UAH hockey team has done," you may not know that UAH won NCAA Division II national championships in 1996 and 1998, crowned in front of packed crowds at the VBC.

Look, there are a number of reasons why the hockey program's record is bad. We've been an independent for three years, which hurts our ability to get home games and better recruits. It's difficult to market that. That's why we're pushing hard to get into the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, so we can get the talent we need to be competitive. And when we do get competitive, we can better market UAH with Division I hockey then we ever could with any of our Division II sports. That's a reason why universities are in the athletics business: marketing.

If there wasn't a sentimental value involved, we wouldn't have had this grassroots effort to keep the program alive. And yes, a lot of people who aren't current students are involved. But alums such as myself have as much say as what programs we want to support as the current students.

And those high school students? They are America's best young talent, many of whom will be NHL draftees someday (present lockout notwithstanding), so don't sell them short. Their program is like a hockey boot camp. They tied North Dakota in Grand Forks, for Pete's sakes.
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

I think "struggling" is being very generous. If UAH men's basketball lost to an All-Star highschool team fans would be screaming from the rafters for blood. When you can lose to an Under-18 team and people aren't suprised you have gone from "struggling" to "awful." Trust me I know, I am a UT football fan.

Comment

I am curious, was that 5,000 attendance on free game night?

Comment

Working...
                                X