PDA

View Full Version : Davidson Steps Down at St. Mike's

Pages : [1] 2

PuckVoice
07-26-2012, 10:35 PM
WCAX TV in Burlington is reporting that St. Mike's Men's Hockey Coach Chris Davidson has stepped down ... the report says Davidson cited personal reasons for his decision ... Davidson went 47-79-9 as Head Coach after taking over for Lou Dimasi at the helm of the Purple Knights.

3rdLiner
07-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Does anyone know why? Personal reasons can be a lot of things, I know he had a baby recently and I think a surgery too. He is a nice guy I hope everything is all right, and that he gets back into coaching soon. Maybe UVM??

pokecheckguy
07-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know why? Personal reasons can be a lot of things, I know he had a baby recently and I think a surgery too. He is a nice guy I hope everything is all right, and that he gets back into coaching soon. Maybe UVM??

Don't think he's going to be headed to UVM...that wouldn't be too classy to resign for "personal reasons" and take a job at the school across town a few months later. I think the issues you laid out, and some unknown are why he is leaving.
Davidson is something like the 3rd or 4th coach to leave w/o being fired, and most leaving coaching all together at SMC this year. Thinking they might not have the resources to continue on as a DII program for all sports. Time to look to full time DIII membership?

NUProf
07-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Don't think he's going to be headed to UVM...that wouldn't be too classy to resign for "personal reasons" and take a job at the school across town a few months later. I think the issues you laid out, and some unknown are why he is leaving.
Davidson is something like the 3rd or 4th coach to leave w/o being fired, and most leaving coaching all together at SMC this year. Thinking they might not have the resources to continue on as a DII program for all sports. Time to look to full time DIII membership?

The real DII sport they have is basketball. They compete in DII in other sports because they have to. If DIII schools were allowed to "play up" to DII in one sport, they'd be better off, but that is not an option - the NCAA is trying to make sure that everybody fits in one of three pigeon holes and if your institutions priorities don't match those three, well that's too bad.

dreamer6
07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
The real DII sport they have is basketball. They compete in DII in other sports because they have to. If DIII schools were allowed to "play up" to DII in one sport, they'd be better off, but that is not an option - the NCAA is trying to make sure that everybody fits in one of three pigeon holes and if your institutions priorities don't match those three, well that's too bad.

I still cannot figure out why they need to remain DII for basketball. They should go DIII and forget about the scholarships altogether. Spread out the money evenly to help make all of their athletic programs stronger. I might be able to understand if the SMC basketball programs were even competitive, but they are not. I am sure it never will happen, for a host of reasons, nonetheless, it truly does baffle me.

NUProf
07-30-2012, 12:55 PM
I still cannot figure out why they need to remain DII for basketball. They should go DIII and forget about the scholarships altogether. Spread out the money evenly to help make all of their athletic programs stronger. I might be able to understand if the SMC basketball programs were even competitive, but they are not. I am sure it never will happen, for a host of reasons, nonetheless, it truly does baffle me.. It's all about the old glory days when they could compete with UVM on a level playing field - back in the days when the lines between divisions were much more blurred. There are some people who cling to those memories and would see moving Bball to D3 as a repudiation of the past glories (as they see it) of SMC athletics. There is nothing harder to overcome than tradition.

ilikehockey
07-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Any word on the Curry and Manhattanville coaching positions ?

The Real Georgia Peach
07-30-2012, 07:15 PM
You probably don't remember when St. Mikes played for the Nat'l Championships back in 1965 or so. Many people my age can remember being glued to the radio listening to the Purple Knights play in Evanston, Indiana for the Championship. Rich Tarrant carried alot of weight then, and probably does now.

NUProf
07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
. Rich Tarrant carried alot of weight then, and probably does now. I'm pretty sure he at least carries a lot of money

The Real Georgia Peach
07-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Influence maybe, in addition to the $$$

norm1909
07-31-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm pretty sure he at least carries a lot of money

He has a math degree (from St. Mikes) - when he ran for US Senate from VT (~2006), his NET worth was estimated at $300 million. (Almost enough to cover Fletcher Allen's expansion ;).

norm1909
07-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Influence maybe, in addition to the $$$

He might. (http://www.vermontbiz.com/news/september/idxs-tarrant-gives-st-michaels-1-million/)

BTW, he is the only First Team All-American in the history of the College. (http://www.smcathletics.com/information/halloffame/tarrant_richard)

NUProf
07-31-2012, 05:53 PM
He has a math degree (from St. Mikes) - when he ran for US Senate from VT (~2006), his NET worth was estimated at $300 million. (Almost enough to cover Fletcher Allen's expansion ;).

When he ran for Senate, he also played the "I was a basketball star at St. Mike's" card. Still didn't do very well, but Repubs in VT struggle unless they are very unusual

altazo
07-31-2012, 07:37 PM
You probably don't remember when St. Mikes played for the Nat'l Championships back in 1965 or so. Many people my age can remember being glued to the radio listening to the Purple Knights play in Evanston, Indiana for the Championship. Rich Tarrant carried alot of weight then, and probably does now.

Evansville, Indiana or Evanston, Illinois?

The Real Georgia Peach
07-31-2012, 10:11 PM
I believe it was Evansville , Indiana....but then again, it was almost 50 years ago.

PuckVoice
07-31-2012, 10:34 PM
It was Evansville, Indiana .... the University of Evansville served as the host site of the tournament for many years and St. Mike's went there in '57, '58, and '65.
... uh, can we now get back to hockey? Any thoughts on a successor for the coach at this late date?

norm1909
08-01-2012, 06:02 AM
It was Evansville, Indiana .... the University of Evansville served as the host site of the tournament for many years and St. Mike's went there in '57, '58, and '65.
... uh, can we now get back to hockey? Any thoughts on a successor for the coach at this late date?

Perhaps St. Michael’s College graduate Christina Reiss will recommend Bill Beaney (http://nescachockey.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/knelman-case-update-2/) :eek:

altazo
08-01-2012, 08:49 AM

Talking about when and where St. Mikes played for a national championship doesn't belong in one of the very few St. Mikes hockey threads most of us have ever seen? I for one had no idea they ever played for a championship, so I found that pretty interesting...

Besides, it's summer. We should just be happy anyone is remotely talking hockey.

But to stay on topic, please share who their next coach is going to be...

puckwiz
08-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Is St. Mike's a full time position?

dreamer6
08-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Is St. Mike's a full time position?

Yes.