Davidson Steps Down at St. Mike's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davidson Steps Down at St. Mike's

WCAX TV in Burlington is reporting that St. Mike's Men's Hockey Coach Chris Davidson has stepped down ... the report says Davidson cited personal reasons for his decision ... Davidson went 47-79-9 as Head Coach after taking over for Lou Dimasi at the helm of the Purple Knights.
    Last edited by PuckVoice; 07-27-2012, 06:42 AM.

Re: Davidson Steps Down at St. Mike's

Does anyone know why? Personal reasons can be a lot of things, I know he had a baby recently and I think a surgery too. He is a nice guy I hope everything is all right, and that he gets back into coaching soon. Maybe UVM??

Comment

Originally posted by 3rdLiner View Post
      Does anyone know why? Personal reasons can be a lot of things, I know he had a baby recently and I think a surgery too. He is a nice guy I hope everything is all right, and that he gets back into coaching soon. Maybe UVM??
      Don't think he's going to be headed to UVM...that wouldn't be too classy to resign for "personal reasons" and take a job at the school across town a few months later. I think the issues you laid out, and some unknown are why he is leaving.
      Davidson is something like the 3rd or 4th coach to leave w/o being fired, and most leaving coaching all together at SMC this year. Thinking they might not have the resources to continue on as a DII program for all sports. Time to look to full time DIII membership?

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
        Don't think he's going to be headed to UVM...that wouldn't be too classy to resign for "personal reasons" and take a job at the school across town a few months later. I think the issues you laid out, and some unknown are why he is leaving.
        Davidson is something like the 3rd or 4th coach to leave w/o being fired, and most leaving coaching all together at SMC this year. Thinking they might not have the resources to continue on as a DII program for all sports. Time to look to full time DIII membership?
        The real DII sport they have is basketball. They compete in DII in other sports because they have to. If DIII schools were allowed to "play up" to DII in one sport, they'd be better off, but that is not an option - the NCAA is trying to make sure that everybody fits in one of three pigeon holes and if your institutions priorities don't match those three, well that's too bad.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          The real DII sport they have is basketball. They compete in DII in other sports because they have to. If DIII schools were allowed to "play up" to DII in one sport, they'd be better off, but that is not an option - the NCAA is trying to make sure that everybody fits in one of three pigeon holes and if your institutions priorities don't match those three, well that's too bad.
          I still cannot figure out why they need to remain DII for basketball. They should go DIII and forget about the scholarships altogether. Spread out the money evenly to help make all of their athletic programs stronger. I might be able to understand if the SMC basketball programs were even competitive, but they are not. I am sure it never will happen, for a host of reasons, nonetheless, it truly does baffle me.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamer6 View Post
            I still cannot figure out why they need to remain DII for basketball. They should go DIII and forget about the scholarships altogether. Spread out the money evenly to help make all of their athletic programs stronger. I might be able to understand if the SMC basketball programs were even competitive, but they are not. I am sure it never will happen, for a host of reasons, nonetheless, it truly does baffle me.
            . It's all about the old glory days when they could compete with UVM on a level playing field - back in the days when the lines between divisions were much more blurred. There are some people who cling to those memories and would see moving Bball to D3 as a repudiation of the past glories (as they see it) of SMC athletics. There is nothing harder to overcome than tradition.

Comment

Any word on the Curry and Manhattanville coaching positions ?

Comment

You probably don't remember when St. Mikes played for the Nat'l Championships back in 1965 or so. Many people my age can remember being glued to the radio listening to the Purple Knights play in Evanston, Indiana for the Championship. Rich Tarrant carried alot of weight then, and probably does now.
                Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                  . Rich Tarrant carried alot of weight then, and probably does now.
                  I'm pretty sure he at least carries a lot of money

Comment

Influence maybe, in addition to the $$$

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                      I'm pretty sure he at least carries a lot of money
                      He has a math degree (from St. Mikes) - when he ran for US Senate from VT (~2006), his NET worth was estimated at $300 million. (Almost enough to cover Fletcher Allen's expansion .
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Influence maybe, in addition to the $$$
                        He might.

BTW, he is the only First Team All-American in the history of the College.
                        Larry Normandin
                        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                          He has a math degree (from St. Mikes) - when he ran for US Senate from VT (~2006), his NET worth was estimated at $300 million. (Almost enough to cover Fletcher Allen's expansion .
                          When he ran for Senate, he also played the "I was a basketball star at St. Mike's" card. Still didn't do very well, but Repubs in VT struggle unless they are very unusual

Comment

You probably don't remember when St. Mikes played for the Nat'l Championships back in 1965 or so. Many people my age can remember being glued to the radio listening to the Purple Knights play in Evanston, Indiana for the Championship. Rich Tarrant carried alot of weight then, and probably does now.
                            Evansville, Indiana or Evanston, Illinois?

Comment

I believe it was Evansville , Indiana....but then again, it was almost 50 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X