PDA

View Full Version : November 1 start date????

Pages : [1] 2

joecct
07-25-2012, 11:18 PM
From the front page or so.....

The NCAA Division III Management Councilís playing and practice seasons subcommittee will recommend that schools not be allowed to play games before Nov. 1. Current rules allow Division III schools to practice and play starting Oct. 15, and the council raised health and safety concerns.

You know what this does? It pushes the end of the 17 week(?) D-III season to the end of the D-I season.

Health and safety concerns my butt. Somebody wants to combine the championships.

jerrynu26
07-26-2012, 08:27 AM

You know what this does? It pushes the end of the 17 week(?) D-III season to the end of the D-I season.

Health and safety concerns my butt. Somebody wants to combine the championships.

Sadly, I believe you are correct in that assessment. :(

GB Puck Fan
07-26-2012, 09:18 AM
And, if they do, I'm thinking it will just be the D3 championship at the Frozen Four site. We'll see national semifinals on campus sites. They won't pay to fly four teams somewhere, and they are just trying to fill the Friday night slot.

Bill-R-
07-26-2012, 11:34 AM
If they do this, the NC$$ better make sure that ESPN plays the D3 final on one of their channels. That should be part of the deal IMO.

joecct
07-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Working backwards
April 11, 2014 NCAA D-III Final - Philadelphia
April 5, 2014 NCAA D-III semifinals - campus sites
March 31 NCAA D-III quarterfinals - campus sites
March 24 NCAA D-III opening round - campus sites

Skewing the season 2 weeks puts the conference tournaments around 3/17/14, so we ASSUME that <strike>Plattsburgh</strike> the NCAA will go for a 4 week tournament.

If they do this, the NC$$ better make sure that ESPN plays the D3 final on one of their channels. That should be part of the deal IMO.
Why? CB$ used to televise the D-II and D-III lax championships on CB$$N, but dropped them. They are now on NCAA.com just like D-III hockey is now. I see no change in the arrangement.

PrezdeJohnson09
07-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Always like to try get ahead of the curve eh?

joecct
07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Always like to try get ahead of the curve eh?Hey, I got the tweet late last night! What ticks me off is that they're using Reason X when in reality "they" want to have D-III play in the D-I sandbox.

Edit: OMG -- D-III hoops is doing the same thing!!! http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2012/July/New+format+developed+for+2013+DIII+mens+basketball +tourney (Note: it is a one-off to celebrate the 75th NCAA Hoops anniversary. But D-II / III would not play in the Georgia Dome but rather in the home of the ex Atlanta Thrashers.)

PrezdeJohnson09
07-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey, I got the tweet late last night! What ticks me off is that they're using Reason X when in reality "they" want to have D-III play in the D-I sandbox.

Edit: OMG -- D-III hoops is doing the same thing!!! http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Latest+News/2012/July/New+format+developed+for+2013+DIII+mens+basketball +tourney (Note: it is a one-off to celebrate the 75th NCAA Hoops anniversary. But D-II / III would not play in the Georgia Dome but rather in the home of the ex Atlanta Thrashers.)

I heard about the D-III hoops going to the D-I site at the Co-SIDA convention. There was no talk of hockey there though.

On the women's side they are exploring a pre-determined site for the first time for Division III for the 2013 championship. Rumors have it looking like Minnesota coupled with the D1 women's FF.

joecct
07-26-2012, 03:32 PM
I heard about the D-III hoops going to the D-I site at the Co-SIDA convention. There was no talk of hockey there though.

On the women's side they are exploring a pre-determined site for the first time for Division III for the 2013 championship. Rumors have it looking like Minnesota coupled with the D1 women's FF.Doesn't the NCAA have a contract with ORDA for the 2013 Lake Placid venue??

If the NCAA walks, then it will be the second time that ORDA has been screwed over by collegiate ice hockey. The first time was when the ECAC left LP for Albany.

PrezdeJohnson09
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Doesn't the NCAA have a contract with ORDA for the 2013 Lake Placid venue??

If the NCAA walks, then it will be the second time that ORDA has been screwed over by collegiate ice hockey. The first time was when the ECAC left LP for Albany.

Yes the D3 Men's FF is in Lake Placid for 2013. That's all that's been signed so far that I know of.

The women are looking for a predetermined site. They have no such agreement with Lake Placid that I know of. Personally I'd love to see them together.

GB Puck Fan
07-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Working backwards
April 11, 2014 NCAA D-III Final - Philadelphia
April 5, 2014 NCAA D-III semifinals - campus sites
March 31 NCAA D-III quarterfinals - campus sites
March 24 NCAA D-III opening round - campus sites

Skewing the season 2 weeks puts the conference tournaments around 3/17/14, so we ASSUME that <strike>Plattsburgh</strike> the NCAA will go for a 4 week tournament.

Why? CB$ used to televise the D-II and D-III lax championships on CB$$N, but dropped them. They are now on NCAA.com just like D-III hockey is now. I see no change in the arrangement.

You think we'd get just 6 days to arrange travel cross country? D1 has a weekend off. Yes, I realize otherwise it would be Sunday to a Thursday for D1, so that's more compressed, but not by much. Maybe the same would happen in D3...

Hammer
07-26-2012, 10:59 PM
You think we'd get just 6 days to arrange travel cross country?...

Given the way the NCAA runs things? Yeah, I believe it.

NUProf
07-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Given the way the NCAA runs things? Yeah, I believe it.

I don't like it. eom :mad:

joecct
07-27-2012, 04:54 AM
We have it now don't we?
QF's on Saturday
Semis the following Friday.

Russell Jaslow
07-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Doesn't the NCAA have a contract with ORDA for the 2013 Lake Placid venue??

Yes. This change doesn't effect that, since 2013 is this coming March. And that's the last year of the current contract.

Russell Jaslow
07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
And, if they do, I'm thinking it will just be the D3 championship at the Frozen Four site. We'll see national semifinals on campus sites. They won't pay to fly four teams somewhere, and they are just trying to fill the Friday night slot.

I'm sure this will only be for the finals, just like they do in lacrosse.

NEhockeyFan88
07-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Will this change the first day teams can "officially" practice? When is the first day of practice anyway?

joecct
07-27-2012, 12:16 PM
Will this change the first day teams can "officially" practice? When is the first day of practice anyway?

Yes
From 10/15 to 11/1.

jerrynu26
07-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Yes
From 10/15 to 11/1.

Which the NESCAC almost certainly will approve of. I am not very certain they will approve the change to the ending date. It would be terrible if that causes them to re-think their participation in the national tournament.

ps. That was not meant to be critical of the NESCAC as a group, or any individual team.

3rdLiner
07-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I am guessing that if the NESCAC does not participate in the NCAA tournament they could switch it back to Lake Placid or on campus. Or is this going to happen with or without the approval of all Conferences?

Based on NESCAC and ECAC East success a Nov 1 start date would not be that bad. Dragging the championship out until April that could get old.

Why not add 1 game or a scrimmage to fill up some of the down time with games!