Yale Bulldogs Hockey - 2012-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yale Bulldogs Hockey - 2012-2013

Nice win, back to number 10 in the pairwise. the America One feed was OK, announcers were good as well.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
      Nice win, back to number 10 in the pairwise. the America One feed was OK, announcers were good as well.
      And now we're up to 8th in the PWR...not sure whether that was because of Dartmouth's win or some other game, but good for Yale in any event. Go Blue!
      Go Blue!

Comment

Nice workmanlike 4 point weekend. I was at the Quinnipiac game and had to leave after the second period, as I walked out of the building, I figured union would sew up the game on the 3 minute 5 on 3, boy was I wrong. We just have to keep winning to get that bye week.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

I agree LT. The ECAC playoff structure is interesting in that there is very little advantage of having a better record once you are in the top 4, particularly in a pretty well balanced league. As much as I'd like to catch QPac (and they certainly aren't completely out of range) solid play will put us where we need to be. The particularly critical games for PWR purposes are the remaining games with QPac, Dartmouth, Union, Comell and Colgate (8 total games). Yale's record in those games are critical to getting a good TUC rating. (We need Colorado College and UMass to to get back in the TUC as well, and to keep Holy Cross out, but those are all out of our hands.)
          Last edited by goblue78; 01-13-2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by goblue78 View Post
            I agree LT. The ECAC playoff structure is interesting in that there is very little advantage of having a better record once you are in the top 4, particularly in a pretty well balanced league. As much as I'd like to catch QPac (and they certainly aren't completely out of range) solid play will put us where we need to be. The particularly critical games for PWR purposes are the remaining games with QPac, Dartmouth, Union, Comell and Colgate (8 total games). Yale's record in those games are critical to getting a good TUC rating. (We need Colorado CollUMass to to get back in the TUC as well, and to keep Holy Cross out, but those are
            all out of our hands.)
            It's simple math, ecac will only get 2 invites to tournament. Currently, Qpac is in. In my opinion, the only way yale gets in is if they win ecac championship. The lost to holy cross and rpi really hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go BLUE!!! View Post
              It's simple math, ecac will only get 2 invites to tournament. Currently, Qpac is in. In my opinion, the only way yale gets in is if they win ecac championship. The lost to holy cross and rpi really hurt.
              My understanding is you can get into the NCAAs 2 ways: winning the ECAC tournament, and being in the top of the PWR. If all tournament winners are in the top 16 of the PWR, then all 16 go, ranked in that order. If you win a conference tourney but aren't in the top 16, then you knock out a team that is at the bottom of the PWR top 16. uscho.com will soon begin a weekly column called "Bracketology" that is very helpful in understanding who's in and who's out at any given moment.
              Go Blue!

Comment

For a detailed explanation of how the NCAA tourney spots are filled, check out collegehockeynews.com, then go to PWR then look for the link called "Primer" - and this link may get you there (no promises) http://www.collegehockeynews.com/info/?d=pwcrpi
                Go Blue!

Comment

Where have you been? if the season ended today (and I always loved that phrase... it's as if it meant something) there'd be 4 ECAC teams in: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/ There is a limited amount of discretion in exactly how the tournament is structured, but there hasn't been any discretion on which teams got in in years. So, at the moment, QPac, Yale, Dartmouth and Colgate are all in. (Actually, Colgate is probably barely out -- but the season isn't ending today.) But there's a long way to go in the next three months.
                  Last edited by goblue78; 01-13-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Where have you been? if the season ended today (and I always loved that phrase... it's as if it meant something) there'd be 4 ECAC teams in: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwi...kings/d-i-men/ There is a limited amount of discretion in exactly how the tournament is structured, but there hasn't been any discretion on which teams got in in years. So, at the moment, QPac, Yale, Dartmouth and Colgate are all in. (Actually, Colgate is probably barely out -- but the season isn't ending today.) But there's a long way to go in the next three
                    months.
                    Where have I been?

It's a pipe dream that there would be more than two ecac teams invited to the tournament.

When was the last time there were more Han 2 ecac teams in the tournament? How many times has that happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by Yale84 View Post
                      For a detailed explanation of how the NCAA tourney spots are filled, check out collegehockeynews.com, then go to PWR then look for the link called "Primer" - and this link may get you there (no promises) http://www.collegehockeynews.com/info/?d=pwcrpi
                      I don't care what the primer says, ecac historically has been overlooked. No more than 2 will get in. If 3 make it, consider it a gift. But won't happen.

Comment

I don't care what the primer says, ecac historically has been overlooked. No more than 2 will get in. If 3 make it, consider it a gift. But won't happen.
                        Since the PWR formula (which has no judgment in it) has exactly predicted the field for over a decade, you have exactly no evidence of this "overlooked." None. Zero. And the last time three teams got in was all of two years ago. (Yale, Union, RPI) http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/3/2...11-frozen-four Ancient history.
                        Last edited by goblue78; 01-13-2013, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Since the PWR formula (which has no judgment in it) has exactly predicted the field for over a decade, you have exactly no evidence of this "overlooked." None. Zero. And the last time three teams got in was all of two years ago. Ancient history.
                          And the time before that?

Comment

What part of "It's a formula which has no judgment" is beyond your reading comprehension? If three qualify under PWR, 3 get in. If 7 qualify, 7 get in.

Comment

It's a pipe dream that there would be more than two ecac teams invited to the tournament.
                              The teams are not invited, they earn their berths by two methods, there is a definitive mathematical system in place called the pairwise, that along with conference tournament title winners.

Your predicted end result this year may be in fact valid because the good ECAC teams are going to beat each other up coming down the stretch, you can already see it happening to Union and Dartmouth. But the selection committee really has no choice about who gets in.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

And the time before that?
                                2009 (Yale, Princeton, and Cornell) and 2005 (Harvard, Colgate, and Cornell).

It is a purely mathematical formula. Not a lot of ECAC teams get in because the ECAC does poorly in non-conference play. This year, the ECAC started out exceptionally; therefore, there is certainly the possibility of three and if the AHA stays limited to one, the top three ECAC teams break away, and there is an upset in the conference tournament, the outside chance of four.
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X