Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance the Penn State scandal has an impact on hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any chance the Penn State scandal has an impact on hockey?

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I expect nothing less from someone who's probably also a Bruins fan to get the name of the owner of the Sabres wrong... Pegula.
    Like I said sorry and no way a B's fan....Montreal.

Comment

The sanctions that are coming (severe, but unfortunately the NCAA doesn't have the stones to apply the death penalty for two years like they should, spineless worms that they are) but if you're a hockey recruit, why on earth would you want to play there now? That athletic department and that administration obviously lack control (not to mention a sense of morality and decency) as evidence by the Freeh report. How many "pros" can you list that outweigh the negatives?
      Lowell Forever
      Forever Lowell

Comment

I certainly think so--and at least for the foreseeable future. Not sure why the best recruits would want to go to PSU right now nor do I think their parents would want them going there either.

Comment

The bigger question here is what does spelling the Sabres' owner's last name wrong have to do with being a Bruins fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
            How many "pros" can you list that outweigh the negatives?
            Depends on how many options a recruit has - there are only so many DI spots. So the overal quality of their recruits may drop a bit, but I don't think it will result in no one wanting to take their scholarship $$$

Comment

What shocks me is that there are people who honestly believe this won't effect every program at that school. Seriously? An institutional cover up of years of systematic rape and abuse of children isn't going to effect potential recruiting? In what universe does that make sense?
              Lowell Forever
              Forever Lowell

Comment

fangers, that alone is enough to answer this question with a "yes"

and ultimately, i think what you said is what's gonna happen over the next few years

Comment

What shocks me is that there are people who honestly believe this won't effect every program at that school. Seriously? An institutional cover up of years of systematic rape and abuse of children isn't going to effect potential recruiting? In what universe does that make sense?
                  Happy Valley

Comment

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                    Depends on how many options a recruit has - there are only so many DI spots. So the overal quality of their recruits may drop a bit, but I don't think it will result in no one wanting to take their scholarship $$$
                    This.
                    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Don't think I ever said it wouldn't impact them all to varying degree. And don't take it that I don't find the whole thing totally disgusting. But the relative scaricity of DI hockey spots will be something that does factor in like I said.

Comment

Another interesting angle that was discussed today on the radio was "What NCAA rules have been broken in this scandal?" Honestly this is a criminal matter and as much as the NCAA might want to jump down their throats, they may find it tough to find things related to NCAA rules that were violated by PSU. The only obvious one that was mentioned was "lack of institutional control." Sure the NCAA could issue a statement about how displeased they were with PSU, but in terms of black and white the crimes that were supposed to have taken place are not NCAA violations and therefore the NCAA may have its hands tied about handing out penalties.

Now granted, if that turns out to be the case and the university doesn't police themselves with some kind of self imposed sanctions, the public outcry and backlash would be even more brutal than it is now.

For the record, my original post never mentioned that other conference and I could care less about the Big Ten.

Ryan J
                        Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 07-13-2012, 11:34 PM.
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

In addition to "Lack of Institutional Control", we have (from SI.com) :

"Articles 2.4 and 10.1 of the NCAA constitution command ethical conduct on behalf of coaches and others associated with athletic programs, and 2.4 expansively states, "These values should be manifest not only in athletics participation, but also in the broad spectrum of activities affecting the athletics program."
                          Lowell Forever
                          Forever Lowell

Comment

When penn state stops having some of the best academics in the nation and a massive alumni network, especially in the dc metro, then I'll start listening.

Yeah, they took a massive blind eye here but it is also not going to be the end of the world. I hardly think this is the beginning of the end of penn state as an institution but it will surely reform itself. Now, that churning could lead to some questions and drama but penn state is going nowhere.
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

What if they strip the football team of scholarships for a 4 year period?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                                When penn state stops having some of the best academics in the nation and a massive alumni network, especially in the dc metro, then I'll start listening.

Yeah, they took a massive blind eye here but it is also not going to be the end of the world. I hardly think this is the beginning of the end of penn state as an institution but it will surely reform itself. Now, that churning could lead to some questions and drama but penn state is going nowhere.
                                Ya know, you're right. Having some of "the best academics in the nation" totally gives them a pass on the institution-wide, top down cover up of a decade of child rape. What was I thinking? No big deal, right Patman? They'll smooth this over and it'll be business as usual in Happy Valley. There's absolutely NO WAY this could have an effect on alumni donations, sports recruiting, revenue (the football program brings in a reported 50 million a year), attracting faculty or anything else. How silly of me.
                                Lowell Forever
                                Forever Lowell

Comment

Working...
                                X