Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance the Penn State scandal has an impact on hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Any chance the Penn State scandal has an impact on hockey?

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    There was enough that the former director of the FBI thought it necessary to put it in his official report on the subject. That is pretty ****ing.
    Do some research -- the evidence is ****ing to JoePa's superiors, but there's virtually nothing concrete to support significant charges against him personally. The conclusion at the end of Freeh's report that Paterno was involved in the conspiracy is not supported by anything contained in the rest of the report.

Powers &8^]

Comment

5mn, SMU was a relative flash-in-the-pan (no bowl appearances from 1968 to 1980) at the time of their run-in with the NCAA. PSU has been on the national radar for 50 years. PSU football will recover as did USC overcome the Reggie Bush fallout.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        Do some research -- the evidence is ****ing to JoePa's superiors, but there's virtually nothing concrete to support significant charges against him personally. The conclusion at the end of Freeh's report that Paterno was involved in the conspiracy is not supported by anything contained in the rest of the report.

Powers &8^]
        the only superior joepa had in PA was christ almighty himself (and even that i'm not so sure of...)
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Here's been the impact on SMU via wiki. One very interesting note is that it says that the NCAA seriously considered shutting down Penn States' football program entirely due to the scandal:

The scandal left the Mustang football program in ruin. Next to the cancellation of two seasons, the most severe sanction in the long term was the loss of 55 scholarships over four years. As a result, the Mustangs did not have a full complement of scholarships until 1992, and it was another year before they fielded a team entirely made up of players unaffected by the scandal. Since 1989, SMU has had a record of 66-169-3.

The fallout from the "death penalty" was not limited to SMU. The Southwest Conference already had a dubious reputation with the number of NCAA violations at its member schools (at one point, only three of its nine members were not on probation), and the discovery of the scandal further tarnished the conference's image. The scandal was one of many factors behind the SWC's ultimate dissolution in 1996[citation needed]. Left without a conference, SMU moved initially to the Western Athletic Conference along with former SWC rival TCU. The Mustangs eventually transferred to Conference USA along with Rice in 2005, joining former SWC rival and C-USA charter member Houston. The team continues to compete in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision despite having an undergraduate enrollment of about 6,000 students—one of the smallest in the division. [26]

The far-reaching effects that resulted from enacting the "death penalty" on SMU has reportedly made the NCAA skittish about issuing another one. Since 1987, 30 schools have committed two major violations within a five-year period, thus making them eligible for the "death penalty." However, the NCAA has seriously considered shutting down a Division I sport only twice since then, against Kentucky men's basketball in 1989[28] and Penn State football in 2012. It has actually handed down a "death penalty" only twice, both against smaller schools—Division II Morehouse College men's soccer in 2003 and Division III MacMurray College men's tennis in 2005.

In 2002, John Lombardi, then president of the University of Florida and now president of the Louisiana State University System, expressed the sentiment of many college officials when he said:

"SMU taught the committee that the death penalty is too much like the nuclear bomb. It's like what happened after we dropped the (atom) bomb in World War II. The results were so catastrophic that now we'll do anything to avoid dropping another one.”
          A far better source than Wiki is the movie "Pony Excess", part of ESPN's brilliant "30 For 30" series of documentaries. If you watch that movie, and listen to the comments from interested parties including the NCAA, it seems pretty clear that the death penalty option is truly that. You just start over and maybe 25 years from now you win some minor bowl game. Had they leveled the death penalty on PSU's football team, once it started back up it would literally be in the exact position it's hockey team is going to be in.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Powers &8^]
            I think the conclusions of the report speak for themselves, as do most people. If you want to continue wearing the blinders and incorrectly thinking that Paterno is infallable, go right ahead. You'll be right there with all the fools in Happy Valley that also still feel the same way.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              I think the conclusions of the report speak for themselves, as do most people. If you want to continue wearing the blinders and incorrectly thinking that Paterno is infallable, go right ahead. You'll be right there with all the fools in Happy Valley that also still feel the same way.
              Please, do tell me what evidence in the report supports the conclusion. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

http://www.johnziegler.com/editorial...?editorial=220

The report (not even the actual email) of only one very vague note from Paterno’s boss Tim Curley mentioning that he had spoken to “Joe” and had decided to change the plan on how to deal with Sandusky, was treated as if it was clear evidence of the coach having taken part in a cover up. Sports Illustrated couldn’t even wait for the actual report to come out and essentially convicted Paterno based on just that remarkably thin evidence.

The media, of course, never even bothered to point out that Curley, after casually mentioning having spoken to Joe, goes on to start each of the next four sentences not with the word “we,” but rather “I.” While this doesn’t prove what influence Paterno did or didn’t have over the discussions, in a remotely fair media environment it should have certainly raised important questions about Paterno’s presumed guilt. Unfortunately, this has still somehow never happened.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Well, I'm sold. Some right-wing nut with a blog says Paterno's innocent. And don't forget to check out his book on how the media treated Sarah Palin!
                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Please, do tell me what evidence in the report supports the conclusion. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

http://www.johnziegler.com/editorial...?editorial=220

Powers &8^]
                  You suck at reading. I was talking about the conclusions, not what there is to back them. I tend to believe the conclusions of a guy like Freeh, who is, by all accounts, a class-act investigator. It is in his conclusions, so that is what I care about.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Joe Paterno was the Sgt. Schultz of Penn State.

*****http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2479/iknownothing1.jpg******
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      Joe Paterno was the Sgt. Schultz of Penn State.
                      Yeah - I mean, the guy was barely involved in the day-to-day running of PSU football. He had such little influence that it's totally credible to suggest that everyone around him would have just unilaterally made decisions without talking to him at all - he was just THAT unimportant to PSU football....

To me, it's a whole lot more likely that he was just too smart or too old(school) to use email.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        Well, I'm sold. Some right-wing nut with a blog says Paterno's innocent. And don't forget to check out his book on how the media treated Sarah Palin!
                        I'm also told there are left-wing nuts out there.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                          I'm also told there are left-wing nuts out there.
                          They're usually the ones you have teach your players to run the left-wing lock.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll
                            What are you trying to say Paterno had a duty to do?
                            You're not serious. KIDS WERE BEING RAPED and HE KNEW ABOUT IT. From that you can't draw the moral if not legal conclusions about, "what duty he had to do"?

Comment

what does right wing have to do with anything?

and second. I would want to see the rule that paterno was supposed to have broken to know whether or not he is innocent.
                              I have a neighbor who is guilty of all sorts of fraud, and I know it. But because I have absolutely no affirmative duty to tell on him, I am not guilty of anything in this regard.
                              What are you trying to say Paterno had a duty to do? And what did the other guy say Paterno is innocent of?
                              Wow. Remind me never to live near anyone like you.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

what does right wing have to do with anything?

and second. I would want to see the rule that paterno was supposed to have broken to know whether or not he is innocent.
                                I have a neighbor who is guilty of all sorts of fraud, and I know it. But because I have absolutely no affirmative duty to tell on him, I am not guilty of anything in this regard.
                                What are you trying to say Paterno had a duty to do? And what did the other guy say Paterno is innocent of?
                                We have fraud in one corner and kiddie rape in the other... let's see if you can connect the dots on this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X