Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance the Penn State scandal has an impact on hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Any chance the Penn State scandal has an impact on hockey?

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
    the guy asking the question was just asking a question, I do not think he was trolling...
    Just my 10,000 ft view of the issues, I think a lot of people are guilty of many things in this situation. My point was the American culture shift to "guilty until proven innocent". I have no doubt that some crimes have been committed, but I don't support the fact that so many aspects of this process are putting the cart ahead of the horse. And no, I never attended PSU, I don't care about PSU but I think even the worst criminal has rights. Trust me, I would have every reason to hate PSU when it comes to college hockey because if there was no PSU, none of what we saw unfold in the world of hockey during the last 12 months would have come to pass.

In short, I feel that today's culture has gone back to the days of the Salem witch trials. Burn them now and ask questions about who is really guilty of what later. Grab your torches and pitchfoks. Bring your crowbar and tear down the statues. Serve up the death penalty. Get the wreckingball and tear down the stadium... and with only part of the story in your hands. In today's world of the Internet, email, Twitter, etc, everyone wants to play judge and jury as soon as they have 10% of the information regarding any situation.

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      Just my 10,000 ft view of the issues, I think a lot of people are guilty of many things in this situation. My point was the American culture shift to "guilty until proven innocent". I have no doubt that some crimes have been committed, but I don't support the fact that so many aspects of this process are putting the cart ahead of the horse. And no, I never attended PSU, I don't care about PSU but I think even the worst criminal has rights. Trust me, I would have every reason to hate PSU when it comes to college hockey because if there was no PSU, none of what we saw unfold in the world of hockey during the last 12 months would have come to pass.

In short, I feel that today's culture has gone back to the days of the Salem witch trials. Burn them now and ask questions about who is really guilty of what later. Grab your torches and pitchfoks. Bring your crowbar and tear down the statues. Serve up the death penalty. Get the wreckingball and tear down the stadium... and with only part of the story in your hands. In today's world of the Internet, email, Twitter, etc, everyone wants to play judge and jury as soon as they have 10% of the information regarding any situation.

Ryan J
      He was convicted on 48 counts in a court of law, and none of his rights were violated. With the convictions, he's now lost most of those rights. So please, save it.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        He was convicted on 48 counts in a court of law, and none of his rights were violated. With the convictions, he's now lost most of those rights. So please, save it.
        I agree with your point, but my post was about more than just JS and the charges brought against him.
        Ryan J
        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          The part that bothers me most about the statue issue isn't whether it should come down or not, but why people are screaming it must come down it now. Yes, the report issued does not look good for JP but it's not a legal document, it's not a conviction of anything - it's an opion. Based on what I read, I think the statue should be removed as well, BUT it should be removed after justice has been given due process. Whatever ever happened to innocent until proven guilty. Somewhere along way the US went back to the days of colonial witch hunts and guilty until proven innocent. I don't support any of what is said to have happened at PSU, but at the time putting pressure on the university to make decisions before the facts have been presented in a court of law is just as wrong. I know it is very unlikely, but what if we find out 18 months from now that all of the victims are simply looking for money and it's all a scam.
          Ryan J
          Have you read the Freeh Report? Joe might get away with not being punished in a court room but in the court of public opinion he is guilty as charged.

http://thefreehreportonpsu.com/

If anything read the findings and timeline that should answer your "What if."
          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
          Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
          The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

• Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
            Have you read the Freeh Report? Joe might get away with not being punished in a court room but in the court of public opinion he is guilty as charged.

http://thefreehreportonpsu.com/

If anything read the findings and timeline that should answer your "What if."
            It will be interesting to see what happens with the trials of Curly, Schultz and Spanier (if/when he gets charged with something). The civil lawsuits will be numerous and expensive. I am also interested to see what the Paterno family finds with their investigation.
            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Ryan J
              How about AFTER proven guilty? Are people guilty then? Sandusky's trial established many facts which prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Paterno, Curley, Spanier, etc, participated in a long-term conspiracy to cover-up Sandusky's heinous crimes for the benefit of the PSU football program. The actual trials of those other men (absent Paterno, of course) are formalities at this point, since so many of the facts have been established.

This is nothing like the day care molestation trials, which hinged on the testimony of young children coached to give the "correct" answers. I'm pretty sure that every victim (and probably every witness) who testified against Sandusky was an adult - totally different ballgame. His convictions will not be overturned.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                The consent decree said that no sport can be eliminated to pay the $60M fine.

Until the judgments / settlements come in, there is no way we can ascertain the fate of the non-revenue sports.
                On the other hand, say goodbye to some academic programs.

Originally posted by fangers View Post
                They have a 1.8 BILLION $ endowment fund, plus they report that alumni giving at an all time high since this hit the news last fall. I doubt money going to be an issue.
                By their nature, endowment funds can't be touched without special resolutions by the board, only the revenue - and only an act of God would make Penn State make their free money machine less effective at making money. So, cut that number down to $18-48 million yearly (since contributions are going to plummet now that the guilty verdicts have come in, and the interest rates are pretty low), then figure that existing programs need that money too. While Penn State will be able to front a lot of money, it'll come with some serious belt-tightening.

In this case, and if there is any justice in the world, that money will come from the football program.
                Last edited by Beer Pong Horn; 07-23-2012, 03:16 PM.
                Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
                I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
                Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                  The sanctions are against football only not all sports.
                  If you looked closer at the posts, you'd see that the post I was quoting said that it was all sports, I responded to that post. The original poster has since been corrected.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

All of PSU losses...not just the FB Program but the Students/Teachers and the surrounding area,plus the worst of all the innocent children that have to bear this out forever...this is more then just a Sports Disaster,its a Human Disaster created by Spineless Liars and Look the Other Way Slim Balls. You can bet lots of money will be paid out,money the rue of it all these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post

By their nature, endowment funds can't be touched without special resolutions by the board, only the revenue - and only an act of God would make Penn State make their free money machine less effective at making money. So, cut that number down to $18-48 million yearly (since contributions are going to plummet now that the guilty verdicts have come in, and the interest rates are pretty low), then figure that existing programs need that money too. While Penn State will be able to front a lot of money, it'll come with some serious belt-tightening.

In this case, and if there is any justice in the world, that money will come from the football program.
                      IIRC, that endowment is the sum total of EVERY asset on the campus (facilities, staff positions, lab equipment, everything.) Almost all of it is earmarked for individual purposes. You can't use that money for other purposes without big important people getting all litigate-y and authorities getting all misappropriation of funds-y.

Your net worth is $500K, but $450K is your house and another $30K is your car, appliances, etc. And technically, they're held in trust as a gift so you can't even borrow against them. You just got slapped with a $100K judgment. Have fun.
                      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        IIRC, that endowment is the sum total of EVERY asset on the campus (facilities, staff positions, lab equipment, everything.) Almost all of it is earmarked for individual purposes. You can't use that money for other purposes without big important people getting all litigate-y and authorities getting all misappropriation of funds-y.

Your net worth is $500K, but $450K is your house and another $30K is your car, appliances, etc. And technically, they're held in trust as a gift so you can't even borrow against them. You just got slapped with a $100K judgment. Have fun.
                        The section on levies and fines on this website discusses if the money's coming out of athletics, if it will have any impact on the Pegula Ice Rink or other renovations. Pretty comprehensive look at the whole scandal's sanctions as well.

http://excalibursportspage.com/2012/...nn-state-file/
                        Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post

gee, maybe the football coaches could be paid what a football coach SHOULD be paid... in a world where football is not on an altar.

and where does the NCAA get off telling Penn State that they need to put the interests of kids ahead of football?

do they really put the interests of the illiterate graduates ahead of the all mighty dollar?
                          really?

I personally know three completely illiterate student athletes, and my sister was a tutor/room procter for UofArizona basketball, she can name more than three.

Comment

Ryan J
                            you said it all.
                            how many of us actually know what happened with Skittles Hoodie and the son of the judge??? and then how many of have an opinion... and a strong opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              This is nothing like the day care molestation trials, which hinged on the testimony of young children coached to give the "correct" answers. I'm pretty sure that every victim (and probably every witness) who testified against Sandusky was an adult - totally different ballgame. His convictions will not be overturned.
                              and not all of the convictions in the Fells Acres day care were overturned.
                              a guilty verdict does not mean he did it, and a not guilty means that the state did not prove its case.... oj

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                                why does he have to save it?
                                cause you said?
                                come on, people, learn to discuss things and share ideas.
                                (I can just see the "oh no you dii int", so I figure I am wasting key strokes on you)

Comment

Working...
                                X