PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Division III Membership Committee Recommends SUNY Canton for Provisional Status

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Birdwatcher
06-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Here is the article:

http://readme.readmedia.com/NCAA-Division-III-Membership-Committee-Recommends-SUNY-Canton-for-Provisional-Status/4456817

Birdwatcher
06-27-2012, 10:28 PM
What does it mean if approved by the Division IIi Management Council??? Are they DIII or not?

Oficially, probably not yet. Unofficially, probably, this last step (Division III Management Council) appears to be nothing more than a formality.

NUProf
06-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Oficially, probably not yet. Unofficially, probably, this last step (Division III Management Council) appears to be nothing more than a formality.

They have four years before they become full DIII members, In the first two years, games against them do not count as DIII contests, in the third and fourth year games against them do count, and they are quasi-DIII members, but not eligible for post-season play - they can join a league at that point. Since (I believe) Canton did do an exploratory year this past year, it is possible to waive the last year of provisional status. The question becomes what will they do with their hockey program - if it moves to DIII from ACHA will they be in the SUNYAC or the ECAC West?

hockey247
06-28-2012, 06:05 AM
They will go to the SUNYAC... They will be the 10th member for hockey, right now they stand at an odd 9. The SUNYAC coaches want them in so they have an even amount of teams and eaiser for scheduling and playoff formats (then the current situation).

PrezdeJohnson09
06-28-2012, 11:23 AM
They will go to the SUNYAC... They will be the 10th member for hockey, right now they stand at an odd 9. The SUNYAC coaches want them in so they have an even amount of teams and eaiser for scheduling and playoff formats (then the current situation).

They do not have to go to the sunyac. They are not a member of the conference in any sport.

The sunyac also has other ways it can be a even number teams wise league.

Dyce
06-28-2012, 11:55 AM
They do not have to go to the sunyac. They are not a member of the conference in any sport.

The sunyac also has other ways it can be a even number teams wise league.

Is there anything in particular you have in mind here, or are you talking about the conference's being in a generally good position to pick up teams if it wants? Plattsburgh isn't leaving the NCAA to join CIS, is it? That would be fun for me, but probably disappointing for everyone else.

PrezdeJohnson09
06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Is there anything in particular you have in mind here, or are you talking about the conference's being in a generally good position to pick up teams if it wants? Plattsburgh isn't leaving the NCAA to join CIS, is it? That would be fun for me, but probably disappointing for everyone else.

Plattsburgh isn't going anywhere ;)

norm1909
06-28-2012, 12:17 PM

A majority - SUNY Oswego, Geneseo, Buffalo, Morrisville, Potsdam, all thought they were in the CIS - or at least their financial aid departments did ;) :p

LtPowers
06-29-2012, 09:54 AM

True, but it's difficult to see them not applying to the SUNYAC once their NCAA membership is approved.

Powers &8^]

spwood
06-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Even the travel partners would make pretty good sense here.:

Canton-Oswego
Plattsburgh-Potsdam
Morrisville-Cortland
Buff St-Fredonia
Geneseo-Brockport

Let's make a warm welcome for the Kangaroos....(oh, and why did they pick Kangaroos for a mascot again?)

PrezdeJohnson09
06-29-2012, 12:07 PM
True, but it's difficult to see them not applying to the SUNYAC once their NCAA membership is approved.

Powers &8^]

Valid. But as a counterpoint it was also difficult for most to comprehend how Utica was trying to apply for admission to the NY state school conference when it is indeed a private institution.

Russell Jaslow
06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Valid. But as a counterpoint it was also difficult for most to comprehend how Utica was trying to apply for admission to the NY state school conference when it is indeed a private institution.

But note, Utica did not get in.

Anyone can apply...

It will come down to whether Canton joins the SUNYAC as a complete member, or goes the route of SUNYIT and Morrisville, and applies to the NEAC.

If the former, then the hockey team is in the SUNYAC. If the latter, then the hockey team has options. Join the SUNYAC as an associate member or try to be lured by a desparate ECAC West who needs just one more team for an automatic bid.

PrezdeJohnson09
06-29-2012, 12:16 PM
But note, Utica did not get in.

Anyone can apply...

It will come down to whether Canton joins the SUNYAC as a complete member, or goes the route of SUNYIT and Morrisville, and applies to the NEAC.

If the former, then the hockey team is in the SUNYAC. If the latter, then the hockey team has options. Join the SUNYAC as an associate member or try to be lured by a desparate ECAC West who needs just one more team for an automatic bid.

And I could easily see SUNY Canton exploring the second option first which opens the door to which conference do they slide into.

IIRC didn't Morrisville originally join the SUNYAC in all sports and then quickly realized they were severely overmatched and then pulled out in everything but hockey?

Russell Jaslow
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
And I could easily see SUNY Canton exploring the second option first which opens the door to which conference do they slide into.

IIRC didn't Morrisville originally join the SUNYAC in all sports and then quickly realized they were severely overmatched and then pulled out in everything but hockey?

Yes, except they also kept field hockey in the SUNYAC. Ditto with SUNYIT, though they did not have any type of hockey teams of course.

NUProf
06-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Even the travel partners would make pretty good sense here.:

Canton-Oswego
Plattsburgh-Potsdam
Morrisville-Cortland
Buff St-Fredonia
Geneseo-Brockport

Let's make a warm welcome for the Kangaroos....(oh, and why did they pick Kangaroos for a mascot again?)

Excuse me, but wouldn't it make more sense for Canton and Potsdam to be travel partners - that 13 mile distance really would cut down on the weekend travel - I know there is a tradition there, but ...

I seem to recall that Canton was looking at the NEAC as a multi-sport conference. I think the ECAC West would be a real possibility - I'm sure they would do what they could to make it as attractive as possible for the Kangaroos. I think that their mascot is pretty unique. The only other Kangaroos that I ever knew of were the Lake Washington High School Kangaroos from Kirkland, Washington. (The state of Washington, where I grew up loves the use of alliteration in naming teams. We had the Shoreline Spartans, Ballard Beavers, and many other similar names when I was in high school.) Lake Washington High School was originally Kirkland High School, hence the Kangaroos. Way off topic and I apologize - must be the altitude getting to me.

pete99race
06-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Excuse me, but wouldn't it make more sense for Canton and Potsdam to be travel partners - that 13 mile distance really would cut down on the weekend travel - I know there is a tradition there, but ...

I seem to recall that Canton was looking at the NEAC as a multi-sport conference. I think the ECAC West would be a real possibility - I'm sure they would do what they could to make it as attractive as possible for the Kangaroos. I think that their mascot is pretty unique. The only other Kangaroos that I ever knew of were the Lake Washington High School Kangaroos from Kirkland, Washington. (The state of Washington, where I grew up loves the use of alliteration in naming teams. We had the Shoreline Spartans, Ballard Beavers, and many other similar names when I was in high school.) Lake Washington High School was originally Kirkland High School, hence the Kangaroos. Way off topic and I apologize - must be the altitude getting to me.
How close are the fires to your new home??

NUProf
06-30-2012, 02:22 PM
There was one close to Boulder (about 15 miles away), but that got put under control pretty quickly. The others are farther away. The big one is in Colorado Springs. The air has been a bit smoky around here from time to time, depending on wind direction. Thunder storms are a mixed blessing - the rain helps, but the lightning starts new fires.

PSUChamps2001
06-30-2012, 02:43 PM

So Plattsburgh would go with.......???

PrezdeJohnson09
06-30-2012, 02:52 PM

If that scenario was true Moville or Oswego.... (yikes) if it was Oswego. That'd be like Middlebury and Norwich becoming travel partners again.

NUProf
06-30-2012, 03:09 PM

Based on absolutely no knowledge of Upstate NY geography, I have no clue, but since my daughter went to St. Lawrence, I always had a hard time figuring out why Plattsburgh was paired with Potsdam in the travel partner scheme, because it felt like it took forever and a day to drive from Plattsburgh across to Canton