Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NCAA Division III Membership Committee Recommends SUNY Canton for Provisional Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Division III Membership Committee Recommends SUNY Canton for Provisional Status

Here is the article:

http://readme.readmedia.com/NCAA-Div...Status/4456817

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Re: NCAA Division III Membership Committee Recommends SUNY Canton for Provisional Sta

Originally posted by cooperalls
    What does it mean if approved by the Division IIi Management Council??? Are they DIII or not?
    Oficially, probably not yet. Unofficially, probably, this last step (Division III Management Council) appears to be nothing more than a formality.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Re: NCAA Division III Membership Committee Recommends SUNY Canton for Provisional Sta

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
      Oficially, probably not yet. Unofficially, probably, this last step (Division III Management Council) appears to be nothing more than a formality.
      They have four years before they become full DIII members, In the first two years, games against them do not count as DIII contests, in the third and fourth year games against them do count, and they are quasi-DIII members, but not eligible for post-season play - they can join a league at that point. Since (I believe) Canton did do an exploratory year this past year, it is possible to waive the last year of provisional status. The question becomes what will they do with their hockey program - if it moves to DIII from ACHA will they be in the SUNYAC or the ECAC West?
      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

They will go to the SUNYAC... They will be the 10th member for hockey, right now they stand at an odd 9. The SUNYAC coaches want them in so they have an even amount of teams and eaiser for scheduling and playoff formats (then the current situation).

Comment

Originally posted by hockey247 View Post
          They will go to the SUNYAC... They will be the 10th member for hockey, right now they stand at an odd 9. The SUNYAC coaches want them in so they have an even amount of teams and eaiser for scheduling and playoff formats (then the current situation).
          They do not have to go to the sunyac. They are not a member of the conference in any sport.

The sunyac also has other ways it can be a even number teams wise league.
          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
          GO LAKERS!!!
          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            They do not have to go to the sunyac. They are not a member of the conference in any sport.

The sunyac also has other ways it can be a even number teams wise league.
            Is there anything in particular you have in mind here, or are you talking about the conference's being in a generally good position to pick up teams if it wants? Plattsburgh isn't leaving the NCAA to join CIS, is it? That would be fun for me, but probably disappointing for everyone else.
            Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
            A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
            A Handful of ECAC West Championships
            A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
            Some National Championships:
            Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
            Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
              Is there anything in particular you have in mind here, or are you talking about the conference's being in a generally good position to pick up teams if it wants? Plattsburgh isn't leaving the NCAA to join CIS, is it? That would be fun for me, but probably disappointing for everyone else.
              Plattsburgh isn't going anywhere
              GO LAKERS!!!
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by Dyce View Post
                A majority - SUNY Oswego, Geneseo, Buffalo, Morrisville, Potsdam, all thought they were in the CIS - or at least their financial aid departments did
                Larry Normandin
                SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

True, but it's difficult to see them not applying to the SUNYAC once their NCAA membership is approved.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Even the travel partners would make pretty good sense here.:

Canton-Oswego
                    Plattsburgh-Potsdam
                    Morrisville-Cortland
                    Buff St-Fredonia
                    Geneseo-Brockport

Let's make a warm welcome for the Kangaroos....(oh, and why did they pick Kangaroos for a mascot again?)
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95
                    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      True, but it's difficult to see them not applying to the SUNYAC once their NCAA membership is approved.

Powers &8^]
                      Valid. But as a counterpoint it was also difficult for most to comprehend how Utica was trying to apply for admission to the NY state school conference when it is indeed a private institution.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Valid. But as a counterpoint it was also difficult for most to comprehend how Utica was trying to apply for admission to the NY state school conference when it is indeed a private institution.
                        But note, Utica did not get in.

Anyone can apply...

It will come down to whether Canton joins the SUNYAC as a complete member, or goes the route of SUNYIT and Morrisville, and applies to the NEAC.

If the former, then the hockey team is in the SUNYAC. If the latter, then the hockey team has options. Join the SUNYAC as an associate member or try to be lured by a desparate ECAC West who needs just one more team for an automatic bid.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          But note, Utica did not get in.

Anyone can apply...

It will come down to whether Canton joins the SUNYAC as a complete member, or goes the route of SUNYIT and Morrisville, and applies to the NEAC.

If the former, then the hockey team is in the SUNYAC. If the latter, then the hockey team has options. Join the SUNYAC as an associate member or try to be lured by a desparate ECAC West who needs just one more team for an automatic bid.
                          And I could easily see SUNY Canton exploring the second option first which opens the door to which conference do they slide into.

IIRC didn't Morrisville originally join the SUNYAC in all sports and then quickly realized they were severely overmatched and then pulled out in everything but hockey?
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

And I could easily see SUNY Canton exploring the second option first which opens the door to which conference do they slide into.

IIRC didn't Morrisville originally join the SUNYAC in all sports and then quickly realized they were severely overmatched and then pulled out in everything but hockey?
                            Yes, except they also kept field hockey in the SUNYAC. Ditto with SUNYIT, though they did not have any type of hockey teams of course.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                              Even the travel partners would make pretty good sense here.:

Canton-Oswego
                              Plattsburgh-Potsdam
                              Morrisville-Cortland
                              Buff St-Fredonia
                              Geneseo-Brockport

Let's make a warm welcome for the Kangaroos....(oh, and why did they pick Kangaroos for a mascot again?)
                              Excuse me, but wouldn't it make more sense for Canton and Potsdam to be travel partners - that 13 mile distance really would cut down on the weekend travel - I know there is a tradition there, but ...

I seem to recall that Canton was looking at the NEAC as a multi-sport conference. I think the ECAC West would be a real possibility - I'm sure they would do what they could to make it as attractive as possible for the Kangaroos. I think that their mascot is pretty unique. The only other Kangaroos that I ever knew of were the Lake Washington High School Kangaroos from Kirkland, Washington. (The state of Washington, where I grew up loves the use of alliteration in naming teams. We had the Shoreline Spartans, Ballard Beavers, and many other similar names when I was in high school.) Lake Washington High School was originally Kirkland High School, hence the Kangaroos. Way off topic and I apologize - must be the altitude getting to me.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X