X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University 2012 Offseason

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Suddenly? When were charges dropped compared to when the story first broke? It wasn't sudden at all. It took some time at least..
    Suddenly, as in "very quickly and unexpectedly." All of a sudden. You know, that word....

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
    Sudden and short are not synonyms. BC suddenly scored in OT to win the BP since it wasn't a prolonged possession in the offensive zone, but it wasn't shortly into the OT.
    Right.

Like I said, I'm sure something happened, but maybe it wasn't enough to be considered criminal.

I'm not even saying he's guilty. I just can't say his innocence was "proved" either. If it was all made up, couldn't he go after her in court?
    Yeah, I don't think we can say either way, agreed. And I guess he could if it was all made up, but I'd bet all parties would feel better just moving on even in that scenario rather than prolonging the noise/pain/publicity.
    Boston University 2009 Champs
    Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Let's distinguish...it appears they two people were indeed in close proximity that evening but saying "something happened" is vastly different than saying "something illegal happened". We all would agree "something" happened.

Based on the output from the DA, there was sufficient doubt in their minds that something illegal happened. To the point made by our esteemed friend from NU, if they thought he did it but the evidence was a little weak they'd take it to court and let the jury decide, or pursue lesser charges.

This wouldn't be a big expensive trial, no reason to avoid it if they thought they had a chance of proving he was guilty of something. For them to not even take it to trial on something like a alleged sexual assault of a young girl, I would suspect the reasoning for not pursuing the charges was clear. Something like this would likely be reviewed by at least 1-2 levels of hierarchy, if they all thought it had no legs, that is telling.

If this was dropping DUI charges against a business executive, we could suspect ulterior motives etc...I doubt the DA is taking a weak stance on alleged sexual assaults of college girls in a town with 50 colleges.
      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Interesting discussion about Penn State.

Most all agree that Penn State got off easy, as do I.

I am thinking that the findings of the committee looking into the BU hockey program
        may be affected by the current get tough on college sports atmosphere, and could result in severe consequences for the program.

Wish I could be thinking about defensive pairings for the next season, but that is sadly not my top concern with BU Hockey right now.

Comment

My bad, the pronoun's got me. So I guess this means a preliminary hearing does not qualify as put on trial.
          Not even close, it was just a hearing to formally bring original charges against him. Not a time to put forth specific evidence, witnesses, or any of that. From my (basic) understanding, it's a procedural step and doesn't go to his innocence or guilt unless it's abundantly clear after five minutes of investigation that absolutely nothing happened, in which case the DA probably would probably decline to prosecute in the first place. I watch too many legal TV shows.

Edit: Skatinterrier - I disagree. First, I'll agree to disagree on PSU getting off easy - they most certainly did not, especially for something that was a criminal violation, not an NCAA one. I also don't think the supposed "get touch on athletics" thing is as much of an issue, especially in light of the fact that Nicastro's incident appears to be far less severe than was originally thought, and it would seem the chances that something illegal occurred are low. Now, something immoral probably did occur, and he is very likely guilty of being a ******* and putting himself in a bad situation, but I'm not sure that warrants a severe response from a task force. If there was to be a severe response from the task force, I would suspect it would be on the heels of a notice of violations from the NCAA, or something from them saying they were investigating what was going on here, and to my knowledge the NCAA hasn't even blinked at any of this. I expect a series of recommendations from the task force of how the players should handle themselves on and off campus, that the administration should be tougher on making sure they're not illegally in bars coughtscough, perhaps better training on decision making and how they are high profile people on campus and certain situations which might be inconsequential to ordinary students would be consequential to them. Beyond that, I don't see the task force levying sanctions, and I'm not even sure they have the power to do so.
          Last edited by brassbonanza; 07-26-2012, 01:15 PM.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            First, I'll agree to disagree on PSU getting off easy - they most certainly did not, especially for something that was a criminal violation, not an NCAA one.
            Please tell me you understand that the criminal actions of Sandusky are NOT what got PSU penalized by the NCAA.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by skatin_terrier View Post
              Interesting discussion about Penn State.

Most all agree that Penn State got off easy, as do I.
              Compared to a four year death penalty, yes, they absolutely got off easy. However, I never anticipated them getting the death penalty and the NCAA actually did more than I expected. Make no mistake about it, the NCAA delivered PSU a pretty significant blow.

This is my first (and likely last) post on this topic as IMO the only insightful post came from SplitN, besides that it is just BU and BC fans directly opposing each other along party lines... and now I will post along party lines

I think we've already covered that court is not about proving innocence, let alone court where charges are dropped before you can even present evidence, just like the fact that you have never been charged with bestiality (I hope) does not prove to me that you haven't been intimate with a moose. And I know about as much about your last encounter with a moose as you know about what happened in Max's apartment.
              Wouldn't the BC party line be he's guilty as sin? I certainly haven't said that. And I've never claimed to know what happened in his apartment either.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                Please tell me you understand that the criminal actions of Sandusky are NOT what got PSU penalized by the NCAA.
                Not going to get into a lengthy discussion of this, but I'm aware, yes. The NCAA applied a loosely-based interpretation of the lack of institutional control rule for this. Overall, it's an unprecedented situation, and the NCAA's response, as such, was unprecedented, and I think was appropriate. I'm only disagreeing with the statement that PSU got off easy - they most certainly did not.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Compared to a four year death penalty, yes, they absolutely got off easy. However, I never anticipated them getting the death penalty and the NCAA actually did more than I expected. Make no mistake about it, the NCAA delivered PSU a pretty significant blow.
                  Yes, and I think the penalties they issued did a good job of creating the least number of innocent casualties who had absolutely nothing to do with this - the local vendors and shopowners who rely on PSU football weekends to make ends meet, concession stand workers, ushers, etc. who all would have no job for four years, in addition to the current players who all would be just about forced to sit out a year since it would be incredibly difficult to transfer this far into the summer and be able to get acquainted into a new program and school in time to play this season.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    Not going to get into a lengthy discussion of this, but I'm aware, yes. The NCAA applied a loosely-based interpretation of the lack of institutional control rule for this. Overall, it's an unprecedented situation, and the NCAA's response, as such, was unprecedented, and I think was appropriate. I'm only disagreeing with the statement that PSU got off easy - they most certainly did not.
                    i think the ncaa was within their purview to rule because psu undertook questionable actions to protect their athletic brand. the only thing i find unprecedented was individuals at a school saw fit to protect a child rapists to keep from having dirt thrown at their brand. punishment is weird because as always it is brought against those left behind who didn't do anything, but is still handout out to hammer home the point, "DON'T DO THIS AGAIN!".. ie, pay players, cut corners on grades, give away pudding . why someone would have to tell individuals DON'T PROTECT A CHILD RAPISTS is the part that boggles my mind.
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mwade View Post
                      Wow - did you ever read my comment out of context. Mookie was on the anti-Nicastro side while I am not. The "he" in my comment was OJ Simpson. BU needs to teach reading comprehension.
                      Or, you could have expressed yourself without using an ambiguous pronoun. BC really needs to teach English Composition....

See what I did there? I took an innocent error / ambiguity and turned it into a lame jab at another's alma mater. I know that is SOP for posters around here. I didn't know that was how contributors rolled as well....

As for Law and Order: GSU, we'll never know what happened that night now that charges have been dropped. He might be a raping scumbag. He might be a wronged innocent. Or it could be more grey than that.

Only 2 people know the truth, and the rest of this is just poo flinging at the primate house.
                      http://www.travisroyfoundation.org/

Comment

Melissa is not a bc alum. Just a fan
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Is that better?

Originally posted by Hockey Dogg View Post

Law and Order: GSU
                          Regardless of whatever "debate" is taking place here, this is funny. Does BU still have that public access channel? Because I might watch this show.

Comment

All the Nicastro talk. Any word on the Trivino case? I don't believe it has been indicted. Makes one wonder if that won't go down the toilet too.
                            Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
                              All the Nicastro talk. Any word on the Trivino case? I don't believe it has been indicted. Makes one wonder if that won't go down the toilet too.
                              Last I heard they dropped one charge and may have downgraded another. It seems to keep getting pushed forward a few months every time there's a court date. No idea what's happened since March/April on it.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Fair enough. My bad for assuming, emphasis on the 1st syllable. In my defense, I was half through a bottle of Jameson when I posted...
                                http://www.travisroyfoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                                X