No announcement yet.

>> RIT Tigers Offseason 2012: Reloading and working on the 'Polisseum' <<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >> RIT Tigers Offseason 2012: Reloading and working on the 'Polisseum' <<

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    Preferably that 1 is the conference game against RMU.
    This!
    I am in the camp with those that really aren't overly concerned about the Tigers' regular season NC record. It's nice to have wins there, but at the end of the day, it means very little towards the teams' real goal - the NCAA tournament.

Of course there would be those that would have a fit if RIT were to lose to an "expansion team", but at this point PSU's talent level is an unknown. I wouldn't commit to being too embarrassed by a loss or overly proud of a win against the Nittany Lions until after we all see how their inaugural season plays out.
    Last edited by TigerFan86-87; 07-24-2012, 09:05 PM.
    Can't we all just get along?
    Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
      Par for the course. RIT should lose both to Michigan, beat PSU, and split with RMU/Colgate. The last two could easily be losses and there's your 1-4. Wouldn't surprise me a bit ... nor would winning the AHA regular season.
      You know as long as the Tigers aren't embarassed by Michigan I will take it as a positive start to the season.
      RITTIGERS FOR LIFE!!

Proud member of the Corner.

Support Hockey. Any Location, Any Time, Any Level, Any Gender. For some it's a game, for others a sport - for me, it's something more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweedle Dee View Post
        You know as long as the Tigers aren't embarassed by Michigan I will take it as a positive start to the season.
        As a traditionally slow starting team with a big question mark between the pipes and almost certainly using two different goalies that weekend, I have concerns. Hopefully, though, if we get blown out, it will light a fire under the team early.
        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          As a traditionally slow starting team with a big question mark between the pipes and almost certainly using two different goalies that weekend, I have concerns. Hopefully, though, if we get blown out, it will light a fire under the team early.
          My worry is that if they get blown out it will set the tone for the season. I just have this gut feeling that if the Michigan games are aweful we might see what we've all been afraid of seeing, a bad Tigers team.
          RITTIGERS FOR LIFE!!

Proud member of the Corner.

Support Hockey. Any Location, Any Time, Any Level, Any Gender. For some it's a game, for others a sport - for me, it's something more.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
            It's nice to have wins there, but at the end of the day, it means very little towards the teams' real goal - the NCAA tournament.
            Shouldn't we be trying to get to a point where we can expect to win more OOC games than we lose? It's true that RIT teams tend to play better at the end of the season than at the beginning, but just getting to the NCAAs isn't enough; we need to make some noise while we're there, and consistently winning OOC games is key to achieving that goal.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
              Shouldn't we be trying to get to a point where we can expect to win more OOC games than we lose? It's true that RIT teams tend to play better at the end of the season than at the beginning, but just getting to the NCAAs isn't enough; we need to make some noise while we're there, and consistently winning OOC games is key to achieving that goal.
              I agree. But I also accept the fact that we're just NOT there yet. So while I would love to win those OOC games and will still be upset when/if we don't, I understand that we're just not up to that level. Let's hope this year proves different!
              2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
              2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2010 Frozen Four/National Semi-Finalists!
              2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
              2011 (Dec) Catamount Cup Champions!

Comment

Powers &8^]
                RIT has been to the NCAAs ONCE. Whether or not they make noise, I would like to see them just MAKE it on a more consistant level before looking to make noise in it. Remember, even though Air Force has made the NCAAs as the AHA member a lot more times, RIT has as many if not MORE NCAA tournament wins than them. THEY are the ones that should be expecting more from their NCAA bids.

If I recall, RIT had their BEST non-conference record last year at the DI level, and yet they were 3rd place in the conference and did not make the NCAAs.

Playing teams like Michigan will help RIT get better down the road. And not for nothing, I'm sure the Tigers will get a decent payday from 2 games at the Yost.
                2010 Frozen Four participant

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

If I recall, RIT had their BEST non-conference record last year at the DI level, and yet they were 3rd place in the conference and did not make the NCAAs.
                  This is true, and they might've had a better change to make it to the tournament last year if it weren't for Saracino going down. I think he will be the key to the team this year. If he stay's healthy the whole year RIT will do really well, if not then it will be an average year.

Comment

Remember, even though Air Force has made the NCAAs as the AHA member a lot more times, RIT has as many if not MORE NCAA tournament wins than them. THEY are the ones that should be expecting more from their NCAA bids.
                    That's exactly my point. Who's gotten more attention the last six years? Air Force, for going 1-5 in the NCAA tournament, or RIT for going 2-1? That's why winning is more important than simply appearing.

Certainly OOC games are not everything. But they aren't meaningless either.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                      This is true, and they might've had a better change to make it to the tournament last year if it weren't for Saracino going down. I think he will be the key to the team this year. If he stay's healthy the whole year RIT will do really well, if not then it will be an average year.
                      I completely agree about Saracino. At the Catamount Cup last year, the team looked really good beating a couple of pretty good teams including the national runner-up in Ferris State, and Saracino was probably the best player on the ice for RIT in those games. The offense was so much better when he was on the ice, as was the overall play of the team. If Saracino stays healthy, which is a big if when it comes to concussions, the offense should be better than last year with the same level of defense.
                      RIT Tigers
                      Boston Bruins

Comment

The Canucks social media crew is on a roadtrip visiting some players, and today happens to be Tanev's day. You can follow along on their twitter(@vancanucks). There should be a Q&A on there at some point today as well.
                        RIT Tigers

Comment

Powers &8^]
                          Note that I said "regular season NC games". In 2010 the Tigers went to and made noise in the NCAA tournament while going only 1-5 (or 0-6? I can't remember exactly - either way it was BAD) in regular season NC games and offered virtually no signals that they were capable of winning in the tournament. But they did. And as Komey said, they had a great NC record this season but managed to finish third in AHA and once again fail to make the NCAAs. NC games in the regular season at this point in the program's development ARE meaningless. The goal, as we all agree is to make it to and make noise in the NCAA tournament. One thing and one thing alone gets them to the first part of that goal... winning the AHA tournament. The second part of the goal is achieved independent of what happened in the regular season.
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

That's exactly my point. Who's gotten more attention the last six years? Air Force, for going 1-5 in the NCAA tournament, or RIT for going 2-1?
                            Powers &8^]
                            But that attention for RIT is fleeting. "What have you done for me lately" is the way the sports world turns. And every year the Tigers manage to come in second to AFA and once again miss the tournament, that high level of attention they got dwindles further and further. How much attention has BSU gotten since joining and becoming a middle of the pack team in the WCHA? In 2009, they were the talk of the college hockey world like RIT was in 2010. They even continued their success by making the NCAA's again in 2010. But since stepping up their competition level week in and week out in the WCHA, you rarely hear much about them. RIT is a footnote nationally and will remain that way until they get back to the tournament and begin to go on at least a semi-regular basis.

Comment

That's exactly my point. Who's gotten more attention the last six years? Air Force, for going 1-5 in the NCAA tournament, or RIT for going 2-1? That's why winning is more important than simply appearing.
                              As was said before, RIT magical run is a footnote nationally. This year's JUNIORS were not on that team. However, RIT is certainly noticed by other programs for their success. Not many teams out in the east are going to get teams like Michigan COMING HERE like they will next year. I'll contend that at this point in the program's development, appearing is JUST as important. Getting games like Michigan will help in that should RIT make the tournament, they have a BETTER chance of winning because they have played the big boys.

Certainly OOC games are not everything. But they aren't meaningless either.
                              For making the NCAA tournament, they practically are. An AHA team might need to win 28 games (and the right ones) to get a chance of an at large.
                              2010 Frozen Four participant

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

For those of us who may be goalie equipment nerds, Watson has posted his new helmet and pads on Twitter.

I must say, those leg pads are definitely the best I've seen on an RIT goalie in my (relatively short) time here at RIT. Helmet is cool too, but I liked Madolora's better.

Pads: https://twitter.com/JWat30/status/22...617216/photo/1
                                Helmet: https://twitter.com/JWat30/status/22.../photo/1/large
                                RIT

Comment

Working...
                                X