Maturi hoped Penn State would join CCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maturi hoped Penn State would join CCHA

With the amount of Non-Conference games, I would really like to see PSU make a swing through to all the current CCHA and WCHA schools before this decade is over.

There are teams I'd like to see make return trips to Marquette for non-conference games. UNO, WMU, tOSU, tUMD. I know regular scheduling may not be practical, but I think those teams wouldn't fuss about making trips to Marquette.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Sure the status quo was probably best for hockey...but you really do have to see if from Minnesota's standpoint.

What does the Big Ten lose for us?
      Ownership of our own media rights...and the associated income.
      Ability to support MN hockey...smaller MN schools are important to the outstate and the Gophers are important to smaller MN schools.
      Rivalries against diverse top schools...UND, DU, etc...which we can't hope to maintain

What does the Big Ten get us?
      Games against MI and MSU which we already had. It just gives us more...which we don't really need.
      Games against OSU and PSU...which we don't really need. And we're getting them in abundance.

IMO its just good that Maturi cared enough to fight for this.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Sure the status quo was probably best for hockey...but you really do have to see if from Minnesota's standpoint.

What does the Big Ten lose for us?
        Ownership of our own media rights...and the associated income.
        Ability to support MN hockey...smaller MN schools are important to the outstate and the Gophers are important to smaller MN schools.
        Rivalries against diverse top schools...UND, DU, etc...which we can't hope to maintain

What does the Big Ten get us?
        Games against MI and MSU which we already had. It just gives us more...which we don't really need.
        Games against OSU and PSU...which we don't really need. And we're getting them in abundance.

IMO its just good that Maturi cared enough to fight for this.
        It is funny lookat the BTHC. Who is it good for?

PSU - gives instant credibility building a new program.
        OSU - they get more big 10 games to hopefully sell seats etc.
        Big Ten - programming for the network.

Mich, Mich St, Wisco, Minn all appear to be loosers in this deal. They all had more control before and no problems selling tickets. If the arena is already selling at or near capacity where is the benefit.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          Mich, Mich St, Wisco, Minn all appear to be loosers in this deal. They all had more control before and no problems selling tickets. If the arena is already selling at or near capacity where is the benefit.
          UW may have still been leading in attendance, but they're hardly selling out. Didn't even average 12,000 last year.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            It is funny lookat the BTHC. Who is it good for?

PSU - gives instant credibility building a new program.
            OSU - they get more big 10 games to hopefully sell seats etc.
            Big Ten - programming for the network.

The first three are huge winners. BIG risk the Big Ten won't know what to do with hockey as college hockey is not big where the power of the conference lies. We know ESPN doesn't know what to do with any hockey and they're in CN.

On the other three, I see

MI - breaking even. It gets them MN and WI and gives up MI compass schools.
            MSU - coming out a bit a head. MI compass schools don't hold quite as much excitment not being in the Detroit metro IMO.
            WI - coming out a fair amount ahead. I think WI sees it as giving up a lot of MN and North MI schools for the power schools of MI, MSU and OSU. At least we know Alvarez felt that way.

WI's position is in stark contrast to MN...which as said loses on all fronts.
            Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              The first three are huge winners. BIG risk the Big Ten won't know what to do with hockey as college hockey is not big where the power of the conference lies. We know ESPN doesn't know what to do with any hockey and they're in CN.

On the other three, I see

MI - breaking even. It gets them MN and WI and gives up MI compass schools.
              MSU - coming out a bit a head. MI compass schools don't hold quite as much excitment not being in the Detroit metro IMO.
              WI - coming out a fair amount ahead. I think WI sees it as giving up a lot of MN and North MI schools for the power schools of MI, MSU and OSU. At least we know Alvarez felt that way.

WI's position is in stark contrast to MN...which as said loses on all fronts.
              Pretty much. Wisconsin is also the only school with no other in-state rivals, therefore no obligation to try to play those schools. If UW-GB, UW-M, or SNC (probably the three most likely) had had an established D-1 program prior to PSU's jump, there would have at least been some outcry from them.

As for Minnesota, it is still making a lot of money from other schools' basketball and football programs. Even though it was forced to throw its hockey revenue into the B1G pot, it still comes out ahead from being a part of the B1G athletic association. For that matter, if Minnesota wanted to leave the B1G athletic conference and go back to the WCHA, I don't know if they'd be allowed to stay part of the Big Ten academic coalition - and that is where the real money is.
              Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
              I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
              Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Comment

Originally posted by Beer Pong Horn View Post
                Pretty much. Wisconsin is also the only school with no other in-state rivals, therefore no obligation to try to play those schools. If UW-GB, UW-M, or SNC (probably the three most likely) had had an established D-1 program prior to PSU's jump, there would have at least been some outcry from them.

As for Minnesota, it is still making a lot of money from other schools' basketball and football programs. Even though it was forced to throw its hockey revenue into the B1G pot, it still comes out ahead from being a part of the B1G athletic association. For that matter, if Minnesota wanted to leave the B1G athletic conference and go back to the WCHA, I don't know if they'd be allowed to stay part of the Big Ten academic coalition - and that is where the real money is.
                From my understanding, that is why they had to join the BTHC in the first place.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

In other words: all objections to the BTHC by anyone with any AD clout is really just for show.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    In other words: all objections to the BTHC by anyone with any AD clout is really just for show.
                    Maturi's objections to a BTHC style conference arrangement prior to PSU was real and impactful. WI was in fact pushing for a conference change to a league that included Big Ten teams..and there was various levels of support among the relevant teams. And it did get shut down because MN was against it. Since the Big Ten stepped in, there hasn't been objection by anyone with AD clout.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                      With the amount of Non-Conference games, I would really like to see PSU make a swing through to all the current CCHA and WCHA schools before this decade is over.

There are teams I'd like to see make return trips to Marquette for non-conference games. UNO, WMU, tOSU, tUMD. I know regular scheduling may not be practical, but I think those teams wouldn't fuss about making trips to Marquette.
                      NMU has Omaha the next couple seasons. They will also have Western in upcoming years as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see UMD in the future, but I doubt you will see Ohio State, unless it's a 2 for 1 deal. Even then, I'm not sure they want a 2nd day trip to Marquette for non-conference games.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I may be in the minority, but I personally believe the real reason the CCHA so swiftly and emphatically rejected Huntsville was because the conference was holding out a sliver of hope that PSU would take the 12-spot vacated by Omaha, therefore averting the B1G Armageddon.

Looking back, I doubt PSU would have joined a conference that not only had next to no annual payout for members but was also UM's playground.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          I may be in the minority, but I personally believe the real reason the CCHA so swiftly and emphatically rejected Huntsville was because the conference was holding out a sliver of hope that PSU would take the 12-spot vacated by Omaha, therefore averting the B1G Armageddon.

Looking back, I doubt PSU would have joined a conference that not only had next to no annual payout for members but was also UM's playground.
                          Or the CCHA was hoping BGSU would fold.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            That could be but how would they have known PSU was joining until the $ showed up?

Do you see the B1G payout being so much more? The network already as advertising for the slots, how much more can they ask? Add costs of showing the games? At best they now only have to cut it six ways.

UM, MSU were already in the CCHA tournament, played in their backyard and did you see the seats filled? You even had ND close by for added fans and now will not.

Do you expect a few thousand WI and Minn fans to drive when its at the Joe? Did you see how many UM fans showed at the regional in WI (closer then the X)?

I just have my doubts, biggest benefit I see is the B1G schools will have more OOC games and continue to push for a 2 for 1 deal.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post

Do you see the B1G payout being so much more? The network already as advertising for the slots, how much more can they ask? Add costs of showing the games? At best they now only have to cut it six ways.
                              CCHA schools were already getting diddly squat in terms of a payout. It won't take much for the ex-CCHA B1G schools (UMich, MSU, OSU) to improve on what they had before; the CCHA was paying out less than $10K annually to its teams. I'm no Big 10 expert, but my guess is those three schools in particular will see bigger payouts just by being able to broadcast on the BTN.

I think from a financial perspective, the ex-CCHA schools (UAF, NMU, BGSU, LSSU, Ferris) will be better equipped to handle the finances of the nWCHA than the other leftover WCHA teams. Why? The ex-CCHA schools are already used to having their hockey programs survive, and in some cases thrive, on a shoestring budget. UAA, Mankato, and MTU will be going from a significant annual Final Five payout to something unknown but definitely a lot less, and my guess is those schools will have to make some adjustments after losing the F5 income.
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                              X