Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toot Cahoon Steps Down as UMass Head Coach

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    No idea. But the examples you gave of Lowell and Merrimack have had one NCAA as well. Will they make it back within the next few years? Who knows, the jury is still out.
    It's not just about making it back to the NCAAs. UMass has had plenty of terrible finishes under Cahoon since they made the NCAAs. That's part of my point. It's a simple question really. Can UMass do better? Hire the right guy and I think they can.

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
    duh

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      Bingo.
      I will say this, I think PC will start competing for home ice within 4 years. Now will they consistently be in the top 2/3? Probably not, but I like the direction Leaman is taking them.

Comment

Maybe I'm really bias (and I am), but UMass absolutely can do better than what Cahoon did in hockey. Aside from BC and BU there's no one currently in the conference UMass can't catch up to in the next 10 years. Maine has already started falling back down to earth and UNH is one bad coaching hire away from joining them.

I have no inside information, but right now, I think the Athletic Department is focusing on Football and Basketball. They'd be stupid not to. As boring as I find it, UMass is a basketball school. They play in a really good basketball conference and just had a pretty decent NIT run with a fairly young team. They are being picked to finish in the top 3-4 in the A-10 and will hopefully make the NCAAs again. It's pretty obvious to me you get basketball as much exposure as possible right now.

Football just made the upgrade to FBS. The team is going to play in a 68,000 seat stadium. These next few years are arguably the most important in UMass Football history. You have to promote the hell out of the team right now. You have too.

Right now, those two sports are the top two priorities for the athletic department. Is there a division 1 athletic department that has FBS football which wouldn't have those two sports ahead of hockey? Even at BC- isn't football and basketball more of a priority than hockey? Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I don't think that means there's a lack of institutional support. I just think that's how the world works.

I'm worried about this next coaching hire. It comes a year too early. UMass just fired Kevin Morris, who was the worst head coach in all of college football. He still has I believe two years left on his contract they're paying off, as well as his staff, on top of Charlie Molnar and his new staff. Now they have to pay Cahoon not to coach too.

I don't know what to hope for right now. Obviously, I want the best coach possible. But I want the best long term coach possible. I'm worried the AD will screw this up like he screwed up hiring Kevin Morris a few years ago. Basically, the Football coach left right before National Signing day and they needed someone fast. Morris was the offensive coordinator (and not a great one at that) and came cheap, so they picked him and gave him a long contract and watched as he took a FCS power house and drove it to mediocrity.

Just thinking aloud here, I wonder if the best course of action isn't to bite the bullet for one year, hire one of the assistants as an interim head coach for cheap, and start the search for real next year with a clean slate.
        #NewMass

Comment

New search committee announced

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
            Maybe I'm really bias (and I am), but UMass absolutely can do better than what Cahoon did in hockey. Aside from BC and BU there's no one currently in the conference UMass can't catch up to in the next 10 years. Maine has already started falling back down to earth and UNH is one bad coaching hire away from joining them.
            If Maine brings in a good coach, their recruiting, which is already looking pretty **** good, will get better. Don't expect them to fall too far.

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
            Just thinking aloud here, I wonder if the best course of action isn't to bite the bullet for one year, hire one of the assistants as an interim head coach for cheap, and start the search for real next year with a clean slate.
            I would think that would just kill recruiting, wouldn't it?
            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
              I would think that would just kill recruiting, wouldn't it?
              I have no idea. Long term, I just want the right guy. If that means losing out on a year of recruits, I'm ok with that. Obviously, if the University is willing to shell out enough money to land the right guy right now, then that's better. I'm worried they are not with all that is going on with paying two people to not be head coaches and also with upgrades to the football stadium.
              #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                At least there are hockey guys on the search committee. The makeup makes me think they're serious about improving the program, and not about to repeat the Morris football fiasco. Time will tell.
                More Cowbell!

Comment

Originally posted by HATSOFF View Post
                  At least there are hockey guys on the search committee. The makeup makes me think they're serious about improving the program, and not about to repeat the Morris football fiasco. Time will tell.
                  I love that one of those guys is named Rocko. Guess Mugsy and Lucky were too busy.

Comment

According to the Boston Herald, Toot's 2011 salary was $247,168 and he made $251,046.50

Bazin's salary was $178,938.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      According to the Boston Herald, Toot's 2011 salary was $247,168 and he made $251,046.50

Bazin's salary was $178,938.
                      Money well spent by the UMass system.

Smaller recruiting and all around budget for Lowell, nothing new here.
                      Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

departmental support is 99% bs/excuse making. Go gett he job done. If you get in front of a recruit, sell them right, have very good facilities, which U Mass does, the rest will be fine.

Tootie is a good coach but if the AD was in his corner or not had nothing to do with a single recruit not going there. Simply mad because he didnt get an extension and he didn't deserve/earn it

Tell Dennehy/Walsh and many others over the years that the key to recruiting is "support" BS

get in the car, on the plane and go watch games and talk recruits into coming. The coaches do that, not the AD

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                          Money well spent by the UMass system.

Smaller recruiting and all around budget for Lowell, nothing new here.
                          And of course, better results.
                          UMASS LOWELL RIVER HAWKS HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by jrobes01 View Post
                            And of course, better results.
                            Now now, be nice to big sis.... You never know when Brunhilda will get jealous and throw a tantrum
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

This is scary, but I agree with hoky. The biggest factor for success is the head coach himself.

Comment

Jim Montgomery is your man he has assistant experience at the NCAA level (Notre Dame,RPI) is a excellent X's & O's coach. He's a stand up guy and an excellent recruiter. He has a good eye for talent in fact there are 3 most likley 1st round draft picks from Daboque in this years NHL draft,from a team that has only been in existance for 2 years. My gut felling w/Jimmy is BC/BU shoukd look out because some of those players whom everyone just figures will go to BC/BU would be in play and he would get his share. He's that good! So if he's not at or near the top of the list someone is making a severe underestimation. That I'm sure of !!!!!!!!! Remember Shawn Walsh was an assistant at Bowling green and Michigan State and went to Maine w/no head coaching experience that seemed to have worked out OK for them.
                                Last edited by troyboy; 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM.
                                What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X