Toot Cahoon Steps Down as UMass Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toot Cahoon Steps Down as UMass Head Coach

Seeing that UMass is "lacking institutional support" at this time, of all times for their hockey program, is mind-boggling to me. Does anyone in that athletic department realize what they could have with Jonathan Quick as a recruiting tool, not only for hockey, but for their entire athletic department?! Quick absolutely shattered certain playoff goaltending records and became only the 3rd American born player (and also 3rd college hockey product) to win a Conn Smythe. I mean, outside of anything Dr. J has done, his playoff performance has to be the biggest moment for a UMass alum in pro sports ever. And at the ripe age of 26 (meaning he's a relatively recent product of the UMass hockey program), he could very well become one of the league's next big goaltending stars. You would think seeing how Quick has done would give the school some hope with the hockey program, or say "gee we should fund it more, maybe we could get some more Jonathan Quicks" but apparently they just think he's a flash in the pan for UMass, which is kind of sad. Or maybe the athletic department there is just incompetent and doesn't know how to properly leverage his success, who knows.

All that aside, as a BC fan I'm sad to see Toot Cahoon go, cause we always seemed to have UMass's number under his regime, especially at Conte. As a college hockey fan or a fan of seeing stronger competition in Hockey East, it's probably a good thing - assuming they find a better coach. We saw coaching changes really inject new life into UML and PC last year (though not so much NU), so I wonder if it will have a similar effect on UMass.
    Boston College '12
    1949 2001 2008 2010 2012

Comment

J.D. - of course, UMass can do better than Toots, but they also can do a lot worse. UMass isn't established enough as a D1 destination for an established coach to go to to end his career, but it's
      not a "starter D1 coaching job" either. In that light, you won't attract a coach like Jerry York, ending up at BC after stops at Bowling Green & Clarkson, but you might get a Jerry York type on his way to his BC assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
        Another quality hockey guy gets fired fighting for support from his Administration. Toot was a class act at Princeton, he continued at UMass, and will likely land another D1. A Kimall Union grad, I
        got to know Toot when my son, Matt, attendedd KUA, and also when I was working with Andy Weidenbach and the Compuware Junior "A" club, although I worked more with Lenny Grennele (sp???)
        Could he be a candidate? Where is he now. From the names being pingponged about, I like Mark Dennehy. Wasn't he an assistant at UMASS before?
        Dennehy isnt going to UMass. A lateral move with lack of support for hockey.
        National Champions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
        Hockey East Tournament Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
        Hockey East Regular Season Champions: 2014, 2012, 2011, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1987, 1986, 1985

Originally posted by SteveF
        two things you need to know about the current state of BU hockey

a) fanboys chanted 'thank you seniors' at the beanpot
        b) fanboys chanted 'wheres your beanpot' while getting blown out in the semis of the HE tournament

Comment

Fricker, point being that I don't think UMass was wrong to move on from Cahoon. The timing was just terrible. In the long-run, they can do better than what they did under him. That's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Fricker, point being that I don't think UMass was wrong to move on from Cahoon. The timing was just terrible. In the long-run, they can do better than what they did under him. That's just my opinion.
            I would love to hear how. Best case for them is sixth or seventh place, especially with Notre Dame joining the league.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

The timing is really awful -- what are we, 7, 8 weeks tops from having players back on campus? Even if they hurry up and hire someone, that person will have MAYBE 6-7 weeks to do damage control with players. Just imagine what the incoming freshman are thinking right about now... not good. If this was a flat out firing, it would've/should've been done in April. Makes me think it was the result of Toots pressing the Admin for more love.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I would love to hear how. Best case for them is sixth or seventh place, especially with Notre Dame joining the league.
                Ya, you're right. I mean, Norm Bazin had zero success in his FIRST year at a much smaller/lower budget UMass school. Mark Dennehy hasn't been able to accomplish anything at Merrimack. It simply can't be done...there is no hope for UMass.

It's all about the coach.

Comment

Ya, you're right. I mean, Norm Bazin had zero success in his FIRST year at a much smaller/lower budget UMass school. Mark Dennehy hasn't been able to accomplish anything at Merrimack. It simply can't be done...there is no hope for UMass.

It's all about the coach.
                  Don't forget... Umass had a success blip too with an NCAA year under cahoon. Will be interesting to see if Mack and Lowell continue their recent success or if they come down a bit again.

Comment

Dennehys job.
                    To say he hasn't accomplished anything at Merrimack must be a joke, unless you have been living in Kuwait since 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      Don't forget... Umass had a success blip too with an NCAA year under cahoon. Will be interesting to see if Mack and Lowell continue their recent success or if they come down a bit again.
                      1 NCAA year in how many years? Mixed in with many terrible finishes in Hockey East. So, I'll ask you...can UMass do better than that?

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                      Dennehys job.
                      To say he hasn't accomplished anything at Merrimack must be a joke, unless you have been living in Kuwait since 2004.
                      Dear God hoky, read it again...

Comment

1 NCAA year in how many years? Mixed in with many terrible finishes in Hockey East. So, I'll ask you...can UMass do better than
                        No idea. But the examples you gave of Lowell and Merrimack have had one NCAA as well. Will they make it back within the next few years? Who knows, the jury is still out.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          Exactly. Schools like UMA, UML, Providence, and Merrimack are going to be in the top four once in awhile but I really can't see any of them doing it consistently with how competitive hockey east is.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

1 NCAA year in how many years? Mixed in with many terrible finishes in Hockey East. So, I'll ask you...can UMass do better than that?

Dear God hoky, read it again...
                            duh

Comment

They likely hire an interim coach currently on the staff.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                Exactly. Schools like UMA, UML, Providence, and Merrimack are going to be in the top four once in awhile but I really can't see any of them doing it consistently with how competitive hockey east is.
                                Bingo.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X