Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Toot Cahoon Steps Down as UMass Head Coach

Originally posted by pinch View Post
    I think Paluch's failure at BG points out just how easy it is at BC (and how bad Cedorchuck was). While York has been great, Ceglarski was very good too.
    It pains me to write this, but it isn't easy at BC. It may be easier at BC than at many other schools, and it may be easier to recruit at BC than at other schools, but turning an advantage into teams that have spun the consistent excellence that BC has just can't be easy. I can imagine JY's expression if someone made that statement to his face. As economists say "...there's many a slip between cup and lip."
    Last edited by buoldtimer; 07-10-2012, 02:23 PM.
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
      Today everyone will claim Mel Pearson is a great coach--- because he guided Tech to a season 3 games under .500..... if he doesnt have a winning season this year, he will be on his way to being the next Scott Paluch (but I think the next good job anywhere is his if he has a decent yr--- and he should grab it asap-- because you cant win year in and year out at Tech anymore--get out while you can.
      You do realize that after this coming season all of that changes with the WCHA falling apart...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

From USHR:

"Extensive head coaching experience has taken a back seat to finding guys who are detail-oriented, know how to recruit, and have an extensive network they can reach out to for players."

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          From USHR:

"Extensive head coaching experience has taken a back seat to finding guys who are detail-oriented, know how to recruit, and have an extensive network they can reach out to for players."
          Carlson seems to fit the bill...
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

USHR has confirmed through well-placed sources that UNH associate head coach Scott Borek interviewed at UMass today.

Comment

USHR:

"UNH has been criticized at times (by their quite vocal and passionate fan base) for not winning ‘The Big One,’ but the bottom line is that every single year UNH is in the hunt. Like a small handful of NCAA schools, UNH doesn’t ever have to rebuild – they just reload. And there’s no reason UMass can’t be in that same position someday. Massachusetts is a hockey state and UMass, like UNH, is a state school. As many have said over the years, UMass is a sleeping giant of a program. They just need to string a number of winning seasons together. It’s a cliché, but success begets success."

This should draw some responses...

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                It pains me to write this, but it isn't easy at BC. It may be easier at BC than at many other schools, and it may be easier to recruit at BC than at other schools, but turning an advantage into teams that have spun the consistent excellence that BC has just can't be easy. I can imagine JY's expression if someone made that statement to his face. As economists say "...there's many a slip between cup and lip."
                Jerry York could in my mind get any number of Asst Coaches and not miss a beat. He and the attraction of BC is more than enough to ensure year in year out success. This was more on the Asst Coaches than the HC

Comment

USHR:

"UNH has been criticized at times (by their quite vocal and passionate fan base) for not winning ‘The Big One,’ but the bottom line is that every single year UNH is in the hunt. Like a small handful of NCAA schools, UNH doesn’t ever have to rebuild – they just reload. And there’s no reason UMass can’t be in that same position someday. Massachusetts is a hockey state and UMass, like UNH, is a state school. As many have said over the years, UMass is a sleeping giant of a program. They just need to string a number of winning seasons together. It’s a cliché, but success begets success."

Fear the Triangle is reporting Mark Carlson from the USHL's Cedar Rapids has been offered the position.

http://fearthetriangle.com/2012/07/1...red-umass-job/
                  Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

USHR:

"As many have said over the years, UMass is a sleeping giant of a program."
                    How awesome would it be if they woke up.
                    #NewMass

Comment

USHR:

So much of a sleeping giant that people are running away
                      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                      Skating Friar Jersey
                      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

USHR:

"UNH has been criticized at times (by their quite vocal and passionate fan base) for not winning ‘The Big One,’ but the bottom line is that every single year UNH is in the hunt. Like a small handful of NCAA schools, UNH doesn’t ever have to rebuild – they just reload."

And that's why USHR got more interesting when they hired Josh Ciocco. Still not as funny as this gem from his playing days.

"I just can't see it happening - us beating Miami and being 60 minutes away from going to a Frozen Four with our fans in Manchester - I just don't see us losing that game," the captain said. "We've got to worry about getting by Miami - hopefully we do - and once we do, I just don't think it's possible that we have a healthy lineup playing in Manchester that BC's going to beat us. We're going to want it too much, and I don't think they can play with us if we want it that much."
                        Now tell me this guy doesn't belong behind the bench at Miami with Failboat Blasi.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Carlson toured the umass campus yesterday, sounds like its going to be him. Great hire if so.

http://ht.ly/c9wOV

Comment

I agree -- very good choice if it is him

Comment

For the people saying it was a great hire, would you have said the same about Pecknold/Pearl?

Comment

For the people saying it was a great hire, would you have said the same about Pecknold/Pearl?
                                No. Carlson hasn't had a losing season since his first year in CR in a league where you have to replace your roster year after year. He wins and makes his players better hockey players and better people.

Comment

Working...
                                X