Toot Cahoon Steps Down as UMass Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Toot Cahoon Steps Down as UMass Head Coach

Just read on ushr that Mark Carlson hc/gm of the cedar rapids ushl club is a strong candidate for the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
      Maybe, but neither Kellogg (basketball HC) nor Mulnar (football HC) had any prior HC experience. Morris was only a DIII head coach (and a terrible one at that). So I don't buy that.
      Fair enough. Though isn't Kellogg an alum? That counts for a lot.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Yes, Kellogg is an alum, which is a very fair point to make.
        #NewMass

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Fair enough. Though isn't Kellogg an alum? That counts for a lot.
          And wasn't Dennehy really "just" an assistant (1 year at Fairfield as HC) when Merrimack gave him a shot. Fair to say he's proven his worth. Not pursuing Cavanaugh b/c he is 'only" an assistant says all you need to know abt UMass. Toot seems to be the lucky one. Complete gong show. .

Comment

Huge fan of Carlson. He would do very well in Hockey East. I thought he should've gotten the UMass-Lowell job.......

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              JJ, I guess that ushr info adds to my point. It sounds like cav was still a candidate up until today/a couple days ago...why were they more interested in pearl/pecknold?
              Sounds like Cav (fanboy nickname) was never really a serious candidate.

I think the same thing is working against him that prevented Quinn from getting PC. Yeah they can both coach and recruit, but they've done it only at major brand name schools (save for 3 years in the early '90s) recruiting at UMass and PC is an entirely different animal than BC and BU and that is something they don't have experience with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebron23 View Post
                Huge fan of Carlson. He would do very well in Hockey East. I thought he should've gotten the UMass-Lowell job.......
                Carlson confirms he is a candidate and has already been interviewed but hasnt been offered the job yet.

http://ht.ly/1Of8T0

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post

I think the same thing is working against him that prevented Quinn from getting PC. Yeah they can both coach and recruit, but they've done it only at major brand name schools (save for 3 years in the early '90s) recruiting at UMass and PC is an entirely different animal than BC and BU and that is something they don't have experience with.
                  When Cav arrived at BC in 95, BC hockey was one helluva brand.

Last 4 years having 4 head coaches, and a combined 49-80-15

Comment

My comments on the situation:

Pecknold and Pearl are both very good coaches but they were probably not offerred any more or little more to coach at UMass and given the current state of affairs their coaching careers could hit a dead end at UMass. Someday they both should get the chance at a bigger name hockey school than they have at present. Cavanaugh would not be offerred enough either to make the move and UMass knows it so that is probably why that stalled. UMass is in poor shape financially and given their upgrade in football they do not have the resources to spend what they need to get the coach they want. An excellent coach from a lower level( USHL, Div.2 or 3 program or even HS) that would make much more at UMass is where they can only go. Would Mike McShane from Norwich be interested in coming back to Hockey East? It is ironic that UMass Lowell was in the same predicament just a couple of years ago and the thought was that the UMass system could only maintain one Division 1 program. Maybe the thought is still there but the UMass-Amherst program is the one in danger instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post

This logic makes zero sense. Let's not select coaches that have succeeded at the highest level, because it's too easy to succeed there, and let's offer the job to coaches that have been average, or slightly above average, in lower level conferences.

This is fact, no other candidate knows what it takes to win at the highest level than a coach that has been an instrumental component in 4 of the last 11 college hockey national champions. Pecknold and Pearl are great guys, but in terms of recruiting and coaching ability, they are not even in the same stratosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                        This logic makes zero sense. Let's not select coaches that have succeeded at the highest level, because it's too easy to succeed there, and let's offer the job to coaches that have been average, or slightly above average, in lower level conferences.

This is fact, no other candidate knows what it takes to win at the highest level than a coach that has been an instrumental component in 4 of the last 11 college hockey national champions. Pecknold and Pearl are great guys, but in terms of recruiting and coaching ability, they are not even in the same stratosphere.
                        With all due respect, that is where you are wrong. A blind goat could recruit at BC. Kreider, both Hayes, Atkinson, Whitneys, Dumoulin on and on and on all would have went to BC if he was there or not. It is a no win situation though because even if you are a great recruiter they still go there. York is BC and he has provided the leadership, class and stability to get the program where they are. Look at the 5/6 D coming in over the next few seasons, as strong as any in many years. All wanted BC since they were old enough to skate. Do what York did at Bowling Green and then I will say you are a great recruiter....

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                          When Cav arrived at BC in 95, BC hockey was one helluva brand.

Last 4 years having 4 head coaches, and a combined 49-80-15
                          Did "Cav" arrive at BC in '95, or did he land a few years later? I thought Scott Paluch was JY's asst during the first few years at BC?
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Now that someone mentioned Paluch (and even a separate BG reference)... maybe it's time to ask: does his failure at BG (even though failure is pretty much the only option there) put some reluctance in ADs to hire a BC assistant now that Cavanaugh is putting his name in the hat for several of these jobs?

buoldtimer, I believe Cavanaugh and Paluch were the assistants there simultaneously when I showed up at BC in 1997-1998. Paluch left to go to BG, then Rolston came in to replace him and Brown came in to replace him. I think... they were definitely there at the same time for at least my 4 years at BC.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebron23 View Post
                              I think most Lowell fans expected Carlson to be hired, and were a bit surprised that Bazin was brought in. I also think on one now regrets that decision.
                              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I think Paluch's failure at BG points out just how easy it is at BC (and how bad Cedorchuck was). While York has been great, Ceglarski was very good too.

Roughly 25% of the D1 jobs are dogs that most, very capable coaches have no chance of great success long term (BG is one).

Today everyone will claim Mel Pearson is a great coach--- because he guided Tech to a season 3 games under .500..... if he doesnt have a winning season this year, he will be on his way to being the next Scott Paluch (but I think the next good job anywhere is his if he has a decent yr--- and he should grab it asap-- because you cant win year in and year out at Tech anymore--get out while you can.

So I don't think Paluch's failure taints BC coaches--- it's just hard to win in a lot of places

Comment

Working...
                                X