Toot Cahoon Steps Down as UMass Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
    There's something to be said for running your own show. But for cav I'd consider it a step down all things considered
    Just makes you wonder what is going on on the inside.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

• Re: Toot Cahoon Steps Down as UMass Head Coach

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
      There's something to be said for running your own show. But for cav I'd consider it a step down all things considered
      Agree on both counts.

FWIW... I was commenting on RenceB stomping on himself regarding his HS dating exploits.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

• Originally posted by Patman View Post
        Just makes you wonder what is going on on the inside.
        Billy bulger ran this place!! HELLO!!!
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Yes... and he was fired at Lowell!

But you have a good point... insiders do have a habit of disappearing... better off not knowing
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Good for you Whitey isn't still on the loose.
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Just put the names in a hat and select one. That's the new head coach.

But considering what a fustercluck this has been, they'd probably mess THAT up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Just put the names in a hat and select one. That's the new head coach.

But considering what a fustercluck this has been, they'd probably mess THAT up.
                7 5/8? I didn't think we had an applicant by that name...
                Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Here's my question...

If Cav is only now pulling out of contention for the job, why the hell did UMass go after Rand Pecknold and Paul Pearl first?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Here's my question...

If Cav is only now pulling out of contention for the job, why the hell did UMass go after Rand Pecknold and Paul Pearl first?
                    According to USHR:

Cavanaugh talked to McCutcheon by phone early in the process but never made it to UMass for a formal visit.

Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL) head coach/GM Mark Carlson is now a strong candidate for the job.
                    Carlson was a candidate for both the Northeastern and UMass-Lowell jobs.
                    Last edited by boblav1; 07-09-2012, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Men's Coaching Hires in three biggest sports at UMass under McCutcheon:
                      Basketball- Travis Ford leaves for OSU 4/16, Derek Kellogg named head coach 4/23. This took one week.

Football- Whipple resigns 1/22. McCutcheon named athletic director 2/4. Don Brown named head coach 2/9. This took 18 days in total, though McCutcheon was only AD for 5 days before it happened.

Don Brown leaves for Maryland 1/9. Kevin Morris named head coach 1/19. This took ten days.

Kevin Morris fired 11/21. Charley Molnar was hired 12/8. This took 17 days, but these 17 days include the Thanksgiving holiday. Also, during this time the NCAA football season was still going on, so it's a bit different as many you might want to interview were still coaching.

Hockey- Don Cahoon leaves 6/19. It's been 20 days.

I'm not including the Whipple replacement, since McCutcheon was named AD in the middle of that.

Also, this is completely different than the hiring of Charley Molnar, and is much more similar to the Kellogg and Morris hirings. Cahoon stepped down, much like Brown and Ford did. He wasn't fired like Morris. This occurred in the offseason, like it did with Brown and Ford, not still during the NCAA season like MMorris. The two similar searches took a combined 17 days. Yet McCutcheon says "It might feel like it's been a long time but it really hasn't... This hasn't been different than any other search."
                      #NewMass

Comment

JJ, I guess that ushr info adds to my point. It sounds like cav was still a candidate up until today/a couple days ago...why were they more interested in pearl/pecknold?

Comment

JJ, I guess that ushr info adds to my point. It sounds like cav was still a candidate up until today/a couple days ago...why were they more interested in pearl/pecknold?
                          HC experience?
                          Originally posted by reBlur
                          the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                            HC experience?
                            Yeah. Even though cav is probably the most qualified assistant applying for ANY job you can get questioned if you hire him and it doesn't work out as opposed to some middling coach who has been a head man before....
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I honestly don't know for sure, but I wonder if it isn't because of budget constraints. They're paying off the old football coach for 2 seasons and Cahoon for this year. That has to be at least 600K for people to not coach. How much more is left for a hockey coach? How much would someone with a great job winning national championships as an assistant at the premiere program want to leave said position? You figure it would probably be more than the Q-Pac and HC guys.

It's either that or incompetence, or maybe McCutcheon never seriously considered Cavanaugh cause he hasn't been able to land a head coaching job anywhere else. Mabye McCutcheon figured there had to be something preventing other teams from taking him.

But like I said before, I have no idea and this post is filled with frustrated speculation.
                              #NewMass

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                                HC experience?
                                Yeah. Even though cav is probably the most qualified assistant applying for ANY job you can get questioned if you hire him and it doesn't work out as opposed to some middling coach who has been a head man before....
                                Maybe, but neither Kellogg (basketball HC) nor Mulnar (football HC) had any prior HC experience. Morris was only a DIII head coach (and a terrible one at that). So I don't buy that.
                                #NewMass

Comment

Working...
                                X