PDA

View Full Version : Utica's Evan Smith Leaving

vcxc3200
06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Just found out that Utica goalie Evan Smith will not be returning to school this fall. Wants to pursue a degree in Civil Engineering back home in British Columbia.

27 Evan Smith SO | 19 GP 988:12 Mins 40 GA 393 Svs 433 Shts .908 Sv. Pct. 2.43 GAA 9- 6- 2 .588

With him gone, Utica may have a definitive #1 goaltender to open the season. There will be a Freshman (That i've told none of you about :) ) that will be competing for the job as well. That said, how do you think it will affect the quality of goaltending play here for next season? I have my own 2 cents, but i'd like to hear what you guys have to say first.

Vamos!

Pioneers#1
06-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Big loss for Utica. BIG.

Hopefully this freshman will be able to fill the giant footsteps #27 is leaving behind. Hopefully Therrien improves over the off-season and will be up to a difficult challenge of a lot more playing time this upcoming season. :(

#Godhelpusall :o

vcxc3200
06-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Big loss for Utica. BIG.

Hopefully this freshman will be able to fill the giant footsteps #27 is leaving behind. Hopefully Therrien improves over the off-season and will be up to a difficult challenge of a lot more playing time this upcoming season. :(

#Godhelpusall :o

Yeah, and that's certainly the issue i'm contemplating.The question i'm asking is: Will Therrien's full control of the Starter role help or hurt this team?

You've gotta wonder how this will affect his play. Does he:

A. Perform better without having to deal with the distractions of a tight competition for playing time? There's typically a certain degree of confidence you see in a goaltender when he has full control of the starting role. You can moreso focus on the immediate task on hand, rather than scrutinizing and overanalyzing yourself.

Or

B. The lack of pressure itself causes him to lose focus. Some guys do better in that dog-eat-dog environment where playing time is a precious commodity.

It's certainly tough to judge, but here's where i feel this is going. Knowing him, i honestly think that the former is going to take place. As a goaltender it's certainly gotta be nerve wracking when you're not the everyday goaltender. Imagine what this could do for his confidence. He's a great goaltender and with additional playing time and the confidence of the coaching staff, I realistically only see him getting better.

altazo
06-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Does Smith plan to play CIS hockey in BC, or who knows?

norm1909
06-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Does Smith plan to play CIS hockey in BC, or who knows?

Former SUNY Morrisville's Adam Maglio played here (http://gothunderbirds.ca/roster.aspx?path=mhockey) they are well known for Civil Engineering (http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,195,272,37) (.

ilikehockey
06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
whose the Frosh ? give us a hint

vcxc3200
06-20-2012, 08:44 PM
whose the Frosh ? give us a hint

He played for the Rochester Stars Hockey Club this season.