Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trivia Time: Cup winners on the same NCAA team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trivia Time: Cup winners on the same NCAA team?

Sorry if this has been asked before and if it belongs in the alumni thread, but with those disclaimers:

With the Kings' victory, there are now 3 players from the 97-98 Clarkson team who've won the Stanley Cup: Cole (Carolina 2006), Huskins (Anaheim 2007), and Mitchell (LA 2012).

What other teams have there been with multiple Cup winners on therm?

Edit: none from Cornell. Our only 2 cup winners (Dryden and Nieuwendyk) played 20 years apart.
    Last edited by LynahFan; 06-12-2012, 02:36 PM.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Re: Trivia Time: Cup winners on the same NCAA team?

Ed Belfour and Tony Hrkac were not only on the same NCAA Team that won the National Championship (North Dakota '87), but the same NHL team that won the Stanley Cup (Dallas '99).

Craig Ludwig and Troy Murray were also teammates from 1979-1981, and they each won the Stanley Cup.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Stanley Cup (Dallas '99).
      The Stars didn't win!
      /angry Buffalo fan

Edit: To answer the original question, none from RPI. I don't believe that anyone from the '54 team made the NHL and Oates was the only player from the '85 team to even play in the Cup finals (I think).
      Edit 3:While the previous statement is true, it doesn't answer the question. I got misled by FS23's post and thought that a player had to win both the NCAA Championship and the Cup. I believe it is still true that no RPI player has won the Cup.

Edit 2: On a completely different note, Rick Tosto won the NCAA Championship in back-to-back seasons.
      Last edited by burgie12; 06-12-2012, 03:37 PM. Reason: edit edit edit edit
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

3 Eagles from the '00-'01 team that won the NC have hoisted the cup.

Scuderi: '09 & '12
        Orpik: '09
        Gionta: '03

BC has had multiple players on the same team, but never more than 3. There are still several candidates from that team who have a shot to make it 4 (Kobasew, Clemmensen, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
          The Stars didn't win!
          /angry Buffalo fan
          Dang, you beat me to it.

Comment

The closest Notre Dame comes of the 4 players who are on the Cup is having a summer separating 2 of them. Don Jackson was a freshman in '74 right after Bill Nyrop graduated 3 months before. Jackson was on several Edmonton Cup winning teams in the early '80s while Nyrop won several with Montreal in the late '70s. Mark Eaton won (with Rob Scuderi) in Pittsburgh, while Brett Lebda preceded him by one year in Detroit.
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

From UMD, only Derek Plante (Dallas '99) and Shjon Podein (Colorado '01) won Stanley Cups as teammates ('89-90) for the Bulldogs. I think only 3 others have won a Stanley Cup from UMD: Brett Hull, Chico Resch, and Dave Langevin.
              Go Bulldogs!!!!

Comment

(Let's see if Federal League beats me )

Boston University has:

Ed Ronan and Shawn McEachern (teammates in 89, 90, 91)
                Jay Pandolfo and Chris Drury (teammates in 95 and 96)
                Chris Drury and Joe DiPenta (!) (teammates in 98)
                Bugs Bunny - 96
                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Kevyn Adams (Carolina '06) and Dan Boyle (Tampa Bay '04) were teammates in Oxford from 94-96.

Comment

Random but I'll put it here, all 3 Americans to win the conn smythe came from HE (Leetch, Thomas, & Quick)

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                      Random but I'll put it here, all 3 Americans to win the conn smythe came from HE (Leetch, Thomas, & Quick)
                      Thomas played in the ECAC his 4 years.

Comment

The Stars didn't win!
                        /angry Buffalo fan

Edit: To answer the original question, none from RPI. I don't believe that anyone from the '54 team made the NHL and Oates was the only player from the '85 team to even play in the Cup finals (I think).
                        Edit 3:While the previous statement is true, it doesn't answer the question. I got misled by FS23's post and thought that a player had to win both the NCAA Championship and the Cup. I believe it is still true that no RPI player has won the Cup.

Edit 2: On a completely different note, Rick Tosto won the NCAA Championship in back-to-back seasons.
                        I believe Mike McPhee was a rookie when Montreal won the cup in 1986.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                          I believe Mike McPhee was a rookie when Montreal won the cup in 1986.
                          He wasn't a rookie, but you're right, he did win the Cup. Man, my post was just full of terrible information.
                          Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

He wasn't a rookie, but you're right, he did win the Cup. Man, my post was just full of terrible information.
                            DIdn't Tampa win it with 3 UVM teammates? StLouis, Perrin and Thomas

that has to be a record... 3 teammates in college who were also on the same stanley cup winning team

also with the King's victory, Maine still has only one skater to win the cup, he has just done it with 2 different California teams (Dustin Penner)

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                              DIdn't Tampa win it with 3 UVM teammates? StLouis, Perrin and Thomas
                              Thomas has been in the Bruins system when he's been in the North America professional leagues, so, no? St. Louis and Perrin both played for UVM from 1993-1997 and won the Cup together, though.
                              Go Red!!

Comment

Working...
                              X