Rolston underappreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolston underappreciated

I have been a Brian Rolston fan since he played for Bob Clouston's Michigan Travelers as Squirt Major. I first saw him as a six year old with the unbelievable Compuware team, but they split ways and Rolly went with the Travelers. My oler son, Brian, played for Compuware for several years and saw Rolly regularly, and then I was
    with Andy Weidenbach's Compuware Tier II Junior "A" team when Rolly played there.

We had three 16 year old centers, Rolly, Pat Peake, and Eric Lindros. Unfortunately, Eric was with us only
    until just before Christmas when he left for the World Juniors to play for Canada, and returned to play for
    the Oshawa Generals when the OHL made a rules change allowing the trade of a 16 year old.

One game of the Compuware teams stands out as it relates to Brian Rolston, and that was (get this) we
    were the invited guest of the Wexford Rangers. It was a 4:00 PM pre-game to a Friday night CHHA league
    game at Yost between the Wolveries and the Spartans. Yost was packed, the air was electric, and both
    teams were all over Rolly in between the two games as it was rumored that he'd make his ollege choice that
    Sunday. I would have bet the ranch that he'd pick Michigan. I mean, how could you not gien that environments impact on a sixteen year old. We were only mildly surprised when he selected Lake State as his older brother, Ron, was an assistant there.

In his Sophomore season, after being drafted by the NJ Devils, he not only scored the winning goal in the NCAA Championship game, but later that season played for the Stanly Cup Champion. (What does he do next, retire???).

What mystifies me is why, given the skill set that makes him a good faceoff man, has a heavy shot from the point on the PP, and is a constant threat for a short handed goal on the PK, that he has been traded as many times as he has. The last couple of seasons he has passes through waivers only to return and be productive on special teams. Yes, he has a $5 million contract, but you'd think that he'd be an ideal "rental player" for a team like the Red Wings making a late season stretch run at the Cup. Anybody who can provide thier theories on this, please post.

Re: Rolston underappreciated

He keeps requesting trades to get away from stalkers.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

The guy hasn't played college hockey for 20 years, who gives a _____
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Because he only had 9 pts in 49 games with the Islanders when they traded him and his bloated contract to Boston. I'm sorry, $5 miillion for 24 pts in 70 games, not a great investment. Under appreciated? At $208,333 per point, I'd call him over appreciated!
        Last edited by davyd83; 06-02-2012, 08:49 AM.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Shouldn't this thread be in the Alumni Forum ?
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
            In his Sophomore season, after being drafted by the NJ Devils, he not only scored the winning goal in the NCAA Championship game, but later that season played for the Stanly Cup Champion. (What does he do next, retire???).
            A slight correction for you Fricker. Brian Rolston scored the winning goal in his freshman year 1992 NCAA Championship game against Wisconsin. He returned to LSSU the next year when the Lakers lost to Maine in the NCAA Championship game. He then turned professional and spent most of the next couple years in Albany. He left LSSU after the 1993 season and was on the 1995 Stanley Cup winning New Jersey Devil team that beat Detroit in four straight games. Former Laker Jim Dowd was a teammate on that Stanley Cup Devils team.

Comment

DM2SM........Thanks for correcting my error.

Walrus................I obviously care. He is still active in the NHL. Obviously an asswipe like you doesn't have the grey matter
              to grasp this. Why not crawl back in your hole. You don't have to participate in this discussion, and your comments are superflous, ignorant, and irrelevent. Have a nice life in your hole!!!!

Comment

You make a very valid point, but every time he comes back from clearing waivers, he instantly becomes productive on the PP and gets key ice on the PK. There is more to a players value than jut points, although on a struggling team, a $5 million cotract is an obvious drag. Thanks for your opinion!!!

Comment

Walrus................I obviously care. He is still active in the NHL. Obviously an asswipe like you doesn't have the grey matter
                  to grasp this. Why not crawl back in your hole. You don't have to participate in this discussion, and your comments are superflous, ignorant, and irrelevent. Have a nice life in your hole!!!!
                  This post needs to be nominated for something... Not sure in what category yet, but its clearly deserving of some kind of award
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

SCSU Euro.......boy you add a lot.

Comment

This is a college hockey board not a NHL board. He doesn't play College Hockey and hasn't for many years. Their is a section for Alumni here, take your thread where it belongs.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Former SCSU player Jeff Passolt is the anchor for the Channel 9 news here in Minneapolis. I would now like to discuss his career as a newsman and his work relationship with Robyn Robinson. Also, where would you rank Passolt in comparison with Don Shelby and Paul Majers?
                        Originally posted by SJHovey
                        Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                        Originally posted by Brenthoven
                        We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

On the good side, Western has John Saunders in the sports media pantheon.

On the down side, Western also has Glenn Healy.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Tipsy McStagger..............now you're getting with it. I don't think that your Jeff Passolt has anything to do with Brian Rolston except that they both played college hockey. This is a college hockey site - they are college hockey players - good 'nuff for me! I wonder if George Zimmerman played college hockey....naahaahhhhh, probaly not.

Comment

Working...
                            X