NCAA and Stanley Cup championships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA and Stanley Cup championships?

Has any player ever won the NCAA Division One and Stanley Cup championships in the same year before? I would think it has happened , there is just not a source for the info, that I can find.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Re: NCAA and Stanley Cup championships?

Ken Morrow went on to win the Stanley Cup a few months after the Miracle on Ice, so I guess there's that.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Ken Morrow went on to win the Stanley Cup a few months after the Miracle on Ice, so I guess there's that.
      Brendan Shanahan did the same in 2002.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        Has any player ever won the NCAA Division One and Stanley Cup championships in the same year before? I would think it has happened , there is just not a source for the info, that I can find.
        No, it has never been done. BC and NYR's Chris Kreider has a shot to be the first one to do it.
        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Neil Broten came very close. Won the National Championship in 1979, miracle on ice in 1980, NCAA runner up in 81, Stanley cup runner up in 81. Not a bad couple of years
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

A guy once won the Conn Smythe Trophy the year BEFORE he won the Calder Trophy and while he was a full-time college student. How unusual is that?
            Last edited by Osorojo; 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
              Neil Broten came very close. Won the National Championship in 1979, miracle on ice in 1980, NCAA runner up in 81, Stanley cup runner up in 81. Not a bad couple of years
              Not too shabby

Broten is the only player (to date) to play in the final NCAA game and the final NHL game of the same season.
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                A college student once won the Conn Smythe Trophy the year BEFORE he won the Calder Trophy. How unusual is that?
                Goalie Ken Dryden/Montreal Canadiens...played @ Cornell for Ned Harkness.

Comment

Imagine telling the ladies that you won a NCAA national title, than a Stanley cup. (not that you'd have too).
                  "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

oh and I am pretty sure Bill Russell won the NCAA, the olympics and the NBA championship either all in the same calendar year, or all consecutively

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                      Imagine telling the ladies that you won a NCAA national title, than a Stanley cup. (not that you'd have too).
                      and he won't have to

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        Not too shabby

Broten is the only player (to date) to play in the final NCAA game and the final NHL game of the same season.
                        I believe he's the only US player to win a national championship, Gold Medal, and Stanley Cup in his career. He was also the first Hobey Baker winner and the first American-born player to record 100pts in an NHL season. Pretty impressive career.

I also believe he's the only guy to ever fight Wayne Gretzky
                        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-21-2012, 11:24 AM.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                          I believe he's the only US player to win a national championship, Gold Medal, and Stanley Cup in his career. He was also the first Hobey Baker winner and the first American-born player to record 100pts in an NHL season. Pretty impressive career.

I also believe he's the only guy to ever fight Wayne Gretzky
                          Not quite - another one was Dave Taylor. You know those NCAA guys are just a bunch of goons!

Dryden played in the 1969 national title game and then won the Stanley cup in his rookie season, but he didn't even play in 69-70 and then played most of the 70-71 season in the AHL before finally having his rookie season in 71-72.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            I know what I would've said after the '80 game.....

"The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                            Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                            The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                            Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Not quite - another one was Dave Taylor. You know those NCAA guys are just a bunch of goons!

Dryden played in the 1969 national title game and then won the Stanley cup in his rookie season, but he didn't even play in 69-70 and then played most of the 70-71 season in the AHL before finally having his rookie season in 71-72.
                              Nice
                              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Working...
                              X