NCAA and Stanley Cup championships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
    oh and I am pretty sure Bill Russell won the NCAA, the olympics and the NBA championship either all in the same calendar year, or all consecutively
    Magic won HS, NCAA, NBA and Olympic

Comment

Re: NCAA and Stanley Cup championships?

Originally posted by Pigfarmer View Post
      Magic won HS, NCAA, NBA and Olympic
      In the same calendar year?
      "My greatest achievement."
      Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
        Same month. They don't call it March Madness for nothing
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
          No.
          Last edited by UMLFan; 05-22-2012, 08:40 AM.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Why are people bringing up basketball players?
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Easy. Because they might make a ton of money, and because they throw you in jail if you don't support your children.

Comment

Their favorite college team only recruited overaged Canadians, and they suck.
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                  I believe he's the only US player to win a national championship, Gold Medal, and Stanley Cup in his career. He was also the first Hobey Baker winner and the first American-born player to record 100pts in an NHL season. Pretty impressive career.
                  Pretty short list.

I can only think of 1 other person to get that trifecta - NCAA Championship, Olympic Gold, and Stanley Cup.

Comment

I've got a Tech alum that did Nat'l Championship-Stanley Cup-Summit Series, but no Olympic Gold.

I'm trying to find some other winners of that trifecta, some came close:
                    Chris Chelios (no gold medal, but won the silver)
                    Brooks Orpik (no gold medal, but won the silver)

I stopped when I finally found one:
                    Ed Belfour - National Champions with UND in 1987, Stanley Cup with Dallas in 1999 and Olympic Gold with Canada in 2002
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I've got a Tech alum that did Nat'l Championship-Stanley Cup-Summit Series, but no Olympic Gold.

I'm trying to find some other winners of that trifecta, some came close:
                      Chris Chelios (no gold medal, but won the silver)
                      Brooks Orpik (no gold medal, but won the silver)

I stopped when I finally found one:
                      Ed Belfour - National Champions with UND in 1987, Stanley Cup with Dallas in 1999 and Olympic Gold with Canada in 2002
                      As I said, I believe Broten is the only US player to win all three. At least that I can think of. Much rarer for US players as we only have two Gold medals.
                      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                        As I said, I believe Broten is the only US player to win all three. At least that I can think of. Much rarer for US players as we only have two Gold medals.
                        I think the list of Canadian players is quite small also though, since from what I could see, the players that were on the Canadian Olympic teams usually went through major juniors. There are obviously exceptions, but it is still rare that it all comes together.

And also, I don't really care that you said US Player, is that supposed to mean that I can look up Canadian players too?

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I think the list of Canadian players is quite small also though, since from what I could see, the players that were on the Canadian Olympic teams usually went through major juniors. There are obviously exceptions, but it is still rare that it all comes together.

And also, I don't really care that you said US Player, is that supposed to mean that I can look up Canadian players too?
                          I thought your post was in response to my initial post about Broten being the only US player to do it. I was just clarifying my initial statement. I wasn't attacking or criticizing you, so lighten up.

Fair point on the Canadian side. Makes sense to me.
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Dryden has the NCAA and NHL rings, and won the 1972 Summit Series over the Soviet Union with Team Canada. That was the closest thing in the day to pitting the best national teams against each other (since Western pros didn't play in the Olympics, but Eastern ones sure did). He came out of college in 1969, so due to the timing there was no way he was going to maintain his amateur status through the '72 Olympics.

Oh, and he's not American, before anyone jumps down my throat.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

In three years in goal for Cornell Ken Dryden won 76 of 81 games, had a 1.60 GA average, and won an NCAA championship. In 1971 while he was a full-time law student at McGill University Dryden played only six regular season NHL games but won a Stanley Cup and a Conn Smythe Trophy. The following year Dryden won the Calder Cup trophy. In his eight seasons in the NHL, including the one six-game season, Dryden won six Stanley Cups, won 258 games, lost 57, and had 46 shutouts. Yeah, he's from Toronto and yeah, he didn't win an Olympic gold medal, but don't hold your breath until another goalie posts stats like these - or even close.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                Dryden has the NCAA and NHL rings, and won the 1972 Summit Series over the Soviet Union with Team Canada. That was the closest thing in the day to pitting the best national teams against each other (since Western pros didn't play in the Olympics, but Eastern ones sure did). He came out of college in 1969, so due to the timing there was no way he was going to maintain his amateur status through the '72 Olympics.

Oh, and he's not American, before anyone jumps down my throat.

He could have been on the 1968 team, like Broten, and then gone back to college.
                                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Working...
                                X