Iowa State pursuing D1 Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa State pursuing D1 Hockey

“@LetsPlay_Hockey: Iowa State University is still pursuing a Division I men’s hockey varsity program. The logical league for them to join would be the WCHA.”
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Re: Iowa State pursuing D1 Hockey

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    “@LetsPlay_Hockey: Iowa State University is still pursuing a Division I men’s hockey varsity program. The logical league for them to join would be the WCHA.”
    Logic has nothing to do with how leagues are formed or who their members are. Look at the NaCHo.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Not this again...

Although with the USHL's connections with college, I can't say I'm surprised.

Comment

Personally, I think the logical place for them to end up is the NaCHo. I would love for them to come to the WCHA, but they fit with the "like-mindedness" of NCHC better. They don't have the history, but they are a big D1 school and will likely throw a big chunk of money at the program if they start it.
        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Maybe, but I've been hearing this as long as I've been hearing Navy is pursuing D1 hockey...though I suppose that Penn State finally took the step, which I first heard about back in the 70s, so I guess anyhting is possible...

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            Maybe, but I've been hearing this as long as I've been hearing Navy is pursuing D1 hockey...though I suppose that Penn State finally took the step, which I first heard about back in the 70s, so I guess anyhting is possible...
            What Iowa State alum is going to throw down 88 mil?

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
              So is that a quote from a reliable source, or just random speculation by a wannabe?
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Can we get something besides a random Twitter post on this?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  What Iowa State alum is going to throw down 88 mil?
                  Who says it needs to be that much? Tsongas didn't come anywhere close... Don't know about Agganis.

I think you can get something more than suitable for a lesser figure... Granted you are still talking serious money... Might be why they would target WCHA for the time being
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Looks like just a slow Tweet day so time to post a longstanding rumor. Iowa State has been "pursuing NCAA Division I hockey" at least since Al Murdoch became coach of the Cyclones 20+ years ago. Penn State, Iowa State and Navy have been longtime rumors, between ISU or Navy I'd say both might be in the NCAA within 15-20 years but Navy is much closer with a suitable arena and a conference (Atlantic Hockey) that would gladly accept the team and would benefit greatly from an Army-Navy Cold War game. ISU has previously denied the rumors and would need big upgrade in facilities, scholarship endowments for men's hockey and a women's sports team to meet title IX, etc... all equaling a big investment/donation (like Penn State).

Comment

I first heard that Penn State would be adding a D1 hockey back in the 60s, I think...maybe early 70s. A neighbor of ours who played for the local high school team was going to Penn State and told my father that he chose Penn state because they would be starting a D1 program the following year...that was roughly 1970...he'd be roughly 60 now and probalby ineligible...

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        So is that a quote from a reliable source, or just random speculation by a wannabe?
                        Yes, Let's Play Hockey newspaper is a reliable source. They are the longest-running hockey publication in the United States (40 years).
                        Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-18-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                          Can we get something besides a random Twitter post on this?
                          Sorry, that's all I've seen so far. Chris Peters at USoH seems to be fairly in the know as he is an alum. He says they need a new rink for it to happen, but it isn't surprising they are considering it. Here are some pieces he wrote in the past on this subject.

“@chrismpeters: Wrote about Iowa State's potential as a D1 hockey school way back in 2006: http://t.co/HMpd1lmF and http://t.co/HypkcFcy
                          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 05-18-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                            Who says it needs to be that much? Tsongas didn't come anywhere close... Don't know about Agganis.
                            Also, they can save money by using cornstalks to help build the structure.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Also "pursuing" can mean anything from "We have a plan in place to have a varsity hockey team in the next five years" to "We talked about it in an off-hand conversation that started when someone misheard us talking about iced coffee".
                              UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                              X