Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iowa State pursuing D1 Hockey

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
    I see Nebraska adding a program and Illinois resurrecting theirs in the future.

Hopefully there will be a full B1G hockey league some day. Can't wait for four free wins against PSU next year.
    Nebraska AD Tom Osborne has said they are not adding hockey.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      I am bright enough to own a successful wine shop in Minnesota.
      You're just lucky enough to have a neighborhood full of Wino's who are just sophisticated enough to want something more than Boone's Farm.
      bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
        You're just lucky enough to have a neighborhood full of Wino's who are just sophisticated enough to want something more than Boone's Farm.
        Mad Dog 20/20 for the win!
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I see Nebraska adding a program...
          With what money? And they already barely break even at basketball. I really doubt they'd cannibalize that audience with another winter sport anytime in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
            Well, there's the fact that YOU have put "Omaha, NE, USA" as your location.

Oh, and "arent"??? Very bright.
            Something I set 13 years ago and haven't touched since versus something I said what, 2 days ago? Yeah, that's very confusing...

Christ, you guys make the worst of the political thread trolls look bright.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
              Something I set 13 years ago and haven't touched since versus something I said what, 2 days ago? Yeah, that's very confusing...

Christ, you guys make the worst of the political thread trolls look bright.
              Every time you post you say that you are in Omaha. So when you also said you were in Des Moines 444 asked for clarification and you got all snarky on him. Real mature.

And several of you might want to check your sarcasm meter with MGoBlueHockey. Just because there was no , , , or doesn't mean it isn't sarcasm.

Oh, don't want to forget the
              Last edited by UncleRay; 05-25-2012, 08:27 AM. Reason: Forgot the :rolleyes: for the sarcasm impaired.
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                And several of you might want to check your sarcasm meter with MGoBlueHockey. Just because there was no , , , or doesn't mean it isn't sarcasm.

Oh, don't want to forget the
                Also, never trust someone with that large of a signature. They're compensating for something.

Comment

I see Nebraska adding a program and Illinois resurrecting theirs in the future.
                  This will never, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. Actually, I recall reading somewhere that the Nebraska hoops coach will outright block any pro-hockey program establishment efforts. Nebraska just poured a ton of money into their new basketball arena and they have to find some reason to fill the place on a regular basis. Supporting a sport that could take butts away from basketball just isn't an option for them right now.

This is probably the best way to put it: Nebraska basketball sucks, they're always going to suck, and that they must do anything they can short of running a winter entertainment monopoly in Lincoln to keep people coming back to the arena. They have to justify the arena's existence.

I really can't see the B1G expanding beyond nine teams. Illinois is a "when" and not an "if," Iowa could jump in if the ISU program gets established and is successful, and I'll throw Northwestern into the mix because Chicago is a strengthening hockey market and NU has filthy rich alumni. (And, yes, I will admit that Iowa and NU are crazy longshots.)
                  Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                  66 - 86 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                    This will never, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. Actually, I recall reading somewhere that the Nebraska hoops coach will outright block any pro-hockey program establishment efforts. Nebraska just poured a ton of money into their new basketball arena and they have to find some reason to fill the place on a regular basis. Supporting a sport that could take butts away from basketball just isn't an option for them right now.

This is probably the best way to put it: Nebraska basketball sucks, they're always going to suck, and that they must do anything they can short of running a winter entertainment monopoly in Lincoln to keep people coming back to the arena. They have to justify the arena's existence.

I really can't see the B1G expanding beyond nine teams. Illinois is a "when" and not an "if," Iowa could jump in if the ISU program gets established and is successful, and I'll throw Northwestern into the mix because Chicago is a strengthening hockey market and NU has filthy rich alumni. (And, yes, I will admit that Iowa and NU are crazy longshots.)

Winter hockey monopoly? Um, not even close. The USHL's Lincoln Stars consistenly average 4,000 per game. The Huskers hoops team hardly has a monopoly on the sporting dollar in the winter months. And the Stars win...
                    St. Norbert College Green Knights
                    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19, 24
                    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                    ---
                    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

Comment

UNO has decently impressive attendance as well. Maybe it's just because it's their only visible athletic program, but it seems like the state of Nebraska is cool with hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                        UNO has decently impressive attendance as well. Maybe it's just because it's their only visible athletic program, but it seems like the state of Nebraska is cool with hockey.
                        I have been very impressed with the UNO fan base since they've joined the WCHA, and have always been impressed with their USHL followings. No doubt Nebraska is an up and coming hockey market IMO.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          Previously, the only flights made by Miami and WMU were to Fairbanks, and most of that expense was picked up by the Alaska school. Four or five flights is a significant increase. Duluth and St Cloud flew to Alaska, again with a decent portion of the expense absorbed by UAA, and they would fly to either Denver or CC on their own dime. These teams will also have 10 out of conference games to play. They won't all be at home. Don't think travel expense is dropping for anyone.
                          According to the UAA posters, the WCHA travel subsidies to Anchorage were reduced or eliminated in recent seasons. Either way, the UAA subsidies were significantly lower that what Fairbanks offered.

Michigan Tech was a very expensive trip for DU. They would fly a day early into MPLS, Chicago or Milwaukee and overnight in Green Bay on the way to Houghton.

As for the 10 non-conference games, most NCHC schools will bus whenever possible to the closest non-conference opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            According to the UAA posters, the WCHA travel subsidies to Anchorage were reduced or eliminated in recent seasons. Either way, the UAA subsidies were significantly lower that what Fairbanks offered.

Michigan Tech was a very expensive trip for DU. They would fly a day early into MPLS, Chicago or Milwaukee and overnight in Green Bay on the way to Houghton.

As for the 10 non-conference games, most NCHC schools will bus whenever possible to the closest non-conference opponents.
                            Denver's flight arrangements were their choice. When Northern Michigan played at DU in the 10-11 season, they flew from Marquette to Denver same day, no overnight in between. If they chose to fly from Denver to Green Bay one day and bus 4 hours up to Houghton the next morning, that was their own doing.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Coach Murdoch built 1 rink for the Cyclones already a d1 facility shouldnt be a problem

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown View Post
                                Coach Murdoch built 1 rink for the Cyclones already a d1 facility shouldnt be a problem
                                Is this the arena ? Then no.
                                Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                                dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                                wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X