Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    By conference rule, the Big Ten can't stage a sport unless 6 or more member schools participate. For many years, that required a majority of the membership. Obviously the threshold didn't change when Nebraska joined. So now 6 of 12 opens the door; i.e. 50% is sufficient. The question is this: If the conference continues to grow larger, will the rule be changed to require a larger number of participants? For example, if the conference grows to 14 members, will the threshold rise to 7 before the Big Ten will maintain sponsorship of the activity? After all, 6 of 14 is a minority.

My guess is the 6 team threshold wouldn't change, or if it did, the BTHC would be grandfathered in. Nevertheless, the question is worth asking.
    Yes that is my question, is will the B1G change its 6 school rule, and if it does will it only affect sports that were formed after the expansion past 12 schools? I do not see them adding a school before hockey starts so I also would hope/assume that hockey would be grandfathered in if the B1G expanded, because it had the necessary number of schools (per B1G rules) when the sport first started B1G regular season conference play. However I do think the B1G will expand, but no earlier than fall of 2014 and only if they can get 2 schools to join at the same time to go from 12 to 14 in one year like the SEC did (adding Texas A & M and Missouri) and the ACC is trying to do (by adding Syracuse and UConn). Finally the last two teams the B1G did add were major football names, so if they do look to expand, whether a school has hockey or not will be very low on the priority list when looking to add schools to the B1G.

Comment

Nothing is going to change the BTHC...it is a done deal. They could add teams tomorrow and the conference is still going to be around. The only thing that threatens it would be a Big Ten school folding and that wont happen any time soon.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Not denying that he's a culprit (or an idiot), but are we really pretending like he was the mastermind here? He's just the hockey-ignorant fool who was the biggest public champion of what everyone knows the B1G Ten was going to do anyway.
        I'd say more people are not happy with him not because he supposedly caused it...but because he did what he could to try to make it happen independent of what anyone else wanted and he wasn't even a hockey guy.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

4x4 we all knew at that time it would be huge number because we all did the math...if you remember

Comment

I never said Iowa would be the 6th team but you said it would never happen

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown View Post
              I never said Iowa would be the 6th team but you said it would never happen
              *****http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8017/buttheadslap.gif******
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Thats me smacking you?....It dont look like me

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown
                  Twat!!!!...man what are you scared of. I saw this coming before any of these people said they saw it coming, they were called the naysayers that just love their cushy status quo.

Well now with the BTHC as a reality it will be great to see more students playing NCAA Hockey. Sorry it hurts Pirate
                  I was just pointing out that if you were banned twice, it was probably for being a combative tool or something. No way they banned you for saying the Big 10 would add hockey.

Plus, nobody seems to like you, which only further supports my assumptions.

Comment

It's a change up because I'm certain that your half dozen banned names have been on the receiving end of the Happy Gilmore "We are all now dumber for having heard this" speech multiple times.
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Comment

You are dreaming.....2 for the banned name column

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                        The thing with 6 is that it's the minimum to receive a NCAA auto bid. That's probably the key, not a % of the Big Ten membership. Why force PSU/OSU and Michigan out of whatever Lacrosse leagues they're in for a 3 team Big Ten?
                        Exactly.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          It's a change up because I'm certain that your half dozen banned names have been on the receiving end of the Happy Gilmore "We are all now dumber for having heard this" speech multiple times.
                          Billy Madison
                          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            I'd say more people are not happy with him not because he supposedly caused it...but because he did what he could to try to make it happen independent of what anyone else wanted and he wasn't even a hockey guy.
                            True though that may be (and I swear I'm not adding this to argue the minutia), but it was happening independent of whatever he could do and despite what any "hockey guys" wanted.
                            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              True though that may be (and I swear I'm not adding this to argue the minutia), but it was happening independent of whatever he could do and despite what any "hockey guys" wanted.
                              I thought some/most of it was because he pulled Wisconsin out of the Showcase (?) over Thanksgiving before Penn State was announced, saying that he wanted to play OSU and "engender Big Ten ties for all" or some such thing. Maybe he already knew Penn State was coming at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown
                                its a croney world....people dish it out and people cant take it, I know how to laugh along, I bet you cant if you are calling somebody a twat
                                what does "croney" as a verb mean?

And did you "dish it out" or something? I guess I have no idea what you're going on about.

Comment

Working...
                                X