Big Ten Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Who else is going to get 80 million bucks and have allowances for a ladies team to meet Title IX requirements? Not likely. Cheaper to add Lacrosse. Northwestern just won the women's title again and Michigan added a men's team recently.
    I could be wrong, but they wouldn't HAVE to add a ladies hockey team. They could add a ladies team in another sport to satisfy Title IX.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by cycledown View Post
      I told everyone a BTHC would happen and they kicked me off the board twice. and stated that Penn State would go d1....since I started posting in 2001!
      Crazy Eddie is dead!......thank God

-----Larry E Bloom

They should have the tourney at each school being the host probably generate more intrest
      If you predict a college hockey video game then we will really believe you.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Re: Big Ten Hockey Conference

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Who else is going to get 80 million bucks and have allowances for a ladies team to meet Title IX requirements? Not likely. Cheaper to add Lacrosse. Northwestern just won the women's title again and Michigan added a men's team recently.
        We could have said the same thing about PSU.

Just two years ago, none of us would have believed that what has happened could happen. Who's to say what will happen in the next 5 or 10 years? I know that I won't be surprised if two more teams add hockey or if no one does. It's like a box of chocolates...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

Personally, at this point (since we ain't going back), I hope a couple of other B1G schools add hockey at some future date. 8 teams would be swell.
          Agreed. However, also have to think about what happens when one of the B1G schools decides to fold hockey. Its probably just as likely as another school adding it.

I think WI should fold first because they don't have any history or tradition so no one would miss them. (sorry but couldn't help myself)

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
            Agreed. However, also have to think about what happens when one of the B1G schools decides to fold hockey. Its probably just as likely as another school adding it.

I think WI should fold first because they don't have any history or tradition so no one would miss them. (sorry but couldn't help myself)
            Queue JDUBBS in 3,2,1....
            @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
            On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
            High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

BIDCO......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Obviously the BTHC isnt only conference and Im not going to beat this thread into the ground, I like the other conferences as well. There are many great hockey schools with a rich winning tradition and to go head to head along side football and basketball with current rivalries is going to be exciting. Im back but im going to focus on as many teams as possible. Like the signature says "Let' em play like the pros"

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown
                  Twat!!!!...man what are you scared of. I saw this coming before any of these people said they saw it coming, they were called the naysayers that just love their cushy status quo.

Well now with the BTHC as a reality it will be great to see more students playing NCAA Hockey. Sorry it hurts Pirate
                  Larry it has been less than two years that PSU has been thinking about a division one program. It took a miracle for this to even happen. I am fine with the new addition to college hockey but I can't believe you knew Pegula would dontate 85 million dollars. Heck only two people at PSU knew about the donation.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

He thought Iowa would be the 6th team. He's full of it when it comes to "calling it."
                    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                      He thought Iowa would be the 6th team. He's full of it when it comes to "calling it."
                      What is 790 miles? It is still close. lol
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by cycledown View Post
                        Obviously the BTHC isnt only conference and Im not going to beat this thread into the ground, I like the other conferences as well. There are many great hockey schools with a rich winning tradition and to go head to head along side football and basketball with current rivalries is going to be exciting. Im back but im going to focus on as many teams as possible. Like the signature says "Let' em play like the pros"
                        um... what?

But I'll probably regret asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                          Also what happens if the B1G decides to add non-hockey schools and suddenly instead of 6 out of 12, the B1G has 6 out of 14, or 6 out of 16 schools with hockey. Would the BTHC survive?

Comment

Originally posted by Rtn2GoldCountry View Post
                            Also what happens if the B1G decides to add non-hockey schools and suddenly instead of 6 out of 12, the B1G has 6 out of 14, or 6 out of 16 schools with hockey. Would the BTHC survive?
                            As long as the 6 are covering the hockey-related league costs, why wouldn't it survive?
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

By conference rule, the Big Ten can't stage a sport unless 6 or more member schools participate. For many years, that required a majority of the membership. Obviously the threshold didn't change when Nebraska joined. So now 6 of 12 opens the door; i.e. 50% is sufficient. The question is this: If the conference continues to grow larger, will the rule be changed to require a larger number of participants? For example, if the conference grows to 14 members, will the threshold rise to 7 before the Big Ten will maintain sponsorship of the activity? After all, 6 of 14 is a minority.

My guess is the 6 team threshold wouldn't change, or if it did, the BTHC would be grandfathered in. Nevertheless, the question is worth asking.

Comment

The thing with 6 is that it's the minimum to receive a NCAA auto bid. That's probably the key, not a % of the Big Ten membership. Why force PSU/OSU and Michigan out of whatever Lacrosse leagues they're in for a 3 team Big Ten?
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X