Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Off-Season Thread 2012 Part II: (Insert Title Here)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Off-Season Thread 2012 Part II: (Insert Title Here)

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
    Did anyone ever figure out how RPI got scooped on the Fenway game. There are plenty more RPI alums here, and it felt like we were caught napping on that one...
    Not only are there many more RPI alums in the Boston area, but they have jobs, too.
    Here we come!

Comment

Today is 20 May 2012. There are 139 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 6 October for the start of next season.

That is the day that an exhibition game is supposedly scheduled.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        It will not... unless you are willing to share a user/pass (and I highly discourage).

This is the best i could do , the only thing missing is the picture , sorry , i don't know how to post that .

Brandon Sun - PRINT EDITION

Malchuk made the most of his time at RPI
        By: Rob Henderson

17/05/2012 1:00 AM | Comments: 0

Print E–mail Report Error
        SUBMITTED Enlarge Image

Brandon’s Joel Malchuk carries the puck up ice for RPI in NCAA hockey action against Yale this season.
        Not that long ago, Joel Malchuk knew next to nothing about Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

This spring, the 23-year-old Brandonite will graduate from RPI with his master’s degree and five years of fond memories from his time with the Engineers hockey team.

After winning a national championship in 2004 with the Brandon Midget AAA Wheat Kings and playing two seasons in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League with the Dauphin Kings, Malchuk had the chance to spread his wings with the NCAA Division 1 hockey program at the Troy, N.Y., university and it’s an opportunity he’s extremely grateful for.

"When the assistant coaches of RPI came and talked to me back when I was playing junior in Dauphin, telling me about the potential opportunity, to be honest I didn’t know that RPI was a Division 1 school," Malchuk said Wednesday from Troy.

"I didn’t know where it was on the map; all I knew was New York State. So I had to do some looking into it and when I travelled down here, I really just fell in love with the program. It’s a top-tier program and it was a real eye-opener — something I didn’t even know existed — and to find out about the academics, being one of the top schools in the United States, and to have hockey with it, it was really special."

Things might have turned out very differently for Malchuk as misfortune struck quickly at RPI, in the form of torn knee ligaments just six games into his freshman season. What appeared to be a disaster may have actually been a blessing in disguise for the young centre, who was granted a medical redshirt, allowing him to play four more seasons with the Engineers and giving him enough time there to earn not only his undergraduate degree but a master’s of science as well.

"I guess it was not the best circumstances how I got it — a lot of hard work and pain, I guess," Malchuk mused. "But to look at it in the long run, to be able to come out of RPI with a bachelor’s as well as a masters, I was lucky enough to be able to have that opportunity and I just wanted to make sure I took advantage of it."

Malchuk scored 18 goals and added 16 assists in 138 games with the Engineers, but played a role with the team that goes far beyond those numbers. He was a co-captain this past season along with fellow Canadian Mike Begin and in 2011 was a part of the first RPI team to reach the NCAA tournament since 1995. Although they lost in the first round to the University of North Dakota, that accomplishment is one that Malchuk nevertheless looks back on with pride.

"It was really special," Malchuk said of the tournament appearance. "RPI’s won two national championships. A lot of people don’t know that and not a lot of schools have won multiple national championships, so it has had some success in the past. Players like Joe Juneau, Adam Oates, Darren Puppa played here. … It was just nice to be able to make it back there and just kind of bring that program back to that national level."

RPI has also opened doors for Malchuk’s future. He’s accepted a job with PricewaterhouseCoopers in Chicago and will start there in August after slipping in an eagerly-awaited visit with family and friends in Brandon this summer. Malchuk has seen a number of his old friends go on to success down various routes through hockey and, while his path may not be the one most dream of growing up in Wheat Kings country, he’s certainly glad it’s the one he chose.

"I couldn’t be happier to be honest," he said. "I think this was the best route for me."

» rhenders@brandonsun.com

Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition May 17, 2012

Comment

Thanks Interested. Great story and wonderful to see RPI get such good press.
          Last edited by DrDemento; 05-20-2012, 02:52 PM.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

What a great endorsement of RPI and RPI hockey.
            Glad to hear that kind of story from a hockey player who is not trying to make hockey his career.
            We need to let recruits know that there is more to RPI than a ticket to pro hockey. It is a ticket to life.
            As a parent of two RPI grads making it in the world, I love this school and everything it has done for my children.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              What a great endorsement of RPI and RPI hockey.
              Glad to hear that kind of story from a hockey player who is not trying to make hockey his career.
              We need to let recruits know that there is more to RPI than a ticket to pro hockey. It is a ticket to life.
              As a parent of two RPI grads making it in the world, I love this school and everything it has done for my children.
              I would assume that we do that, since we would be foolish not to..
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 21 May 2012. There are 138 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Today is 21 May 2012. There are 138 days until RPI's next game.

I think it is just me-but this is the slowest countdown in memory.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                    I think it is just me-but this is the slowest countdown in memory.
                    IMO, it has been slow since not much has happened. That is, of course, both good and bad.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

IMO, it has been slow since not much has happened.
                      Thank God.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

IMO, it has been slow since not much has happened. That is, of course, both good and bad.
                        It has been so slow that the NCHC has had news conferences to announce news conferences.

Have there been any rumours regarding new rules, aside from the 3/4 shield debate? Hopefully PK icing is removed from exhibition play.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                          Thank God.
                          Definitely true. Very little offseason news that causes us to post a lot is good.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 22 May 2012. There are 137 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                              Did anyone ever figure out how RPI got scooped on the Fenway game. There are plenty more RPI alums here, and it felt like we were caught napping on that one...
                              I have no direct knowledge - but off the top of my head I'd bet it was arrranged before Nate left, given his ties to Harvard.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                                not only are there many more rpi alums in the boston area, but they have jobs, too.
                                exactly!
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X