Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Hockey Potentially going to 3/4 Sheilds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hockey Potentially going to 3/4 Sheilds?

Sounds like it will become the rule around college hockey:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._than_ever.php

I wonder if this is fueled more by safety concerns or a "keeping up with the Jones' move" (ie the CHL and other leagues)

Thoughts? Discuss.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Re: College Hockey Potentially going to 3/4 Sheilds?

I had a thought... why can't the original poster spell "shields" correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Because he's a teacher.

/True Story.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

I think only players built like Dan Kronick should be allowed 3/4 visors... Although the costs of the number of pucks that would shattered when contacting his chin would have been huge
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

If college hockey does move to the 3/4 shields, could a player still wear a cage if he wanted to?

Comment

My question is that does this cause vendors to make a new product because all I've seen is 1/2 shields.
              Originally posted by SCSU Euro
              What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I've never been a fan of the "warrior" mentality that Melrose and some others sell re: hockey players in jr...

so my question is this: 3/4 (at least) of these guys will never play in the NHL. what about the guy that's good at the NCAA level but knows his time post-NCAA will be at a lawfirm or some other job...do he want to use a 1/2 shield and get some chicklets knocked out to prove he's a warrior or will the players not put pressure on each other to wear these things?
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                  My question is that does this cause vendors to make a new product because all I've seen is 1/2 shields.
                  It seems a half shield and a three-quarter shield is the same thing, oddly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by REDaero91 View Post
                    If college hockey does move to the 3/4 shields, could a player still wear a cage if he wanted to?
                    From what I read, no. Everyone would wear the same shield. They seem to think that the full shield makes them more reckless because of a false sense of safety.
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                      I thought I've seen them in CHL games. I bet you could wear a full cage if you wanted. I think it is a good idea to change, they are one of the last leagues to not have shields and why not get on the times?
                      tUMD Hockey

Comment

It would make absolutely no sense if you did not still allow full shields/masks and required players to wear half-shields. Players in the NHL routinely wear full shields/masks when they sustain a facial injury while they recover from it, so I would have to assume the same thing would be true if and when this rule is passed.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                          From what I read, no. Everyone would wear the same shield. They seem to think that the full shield makes them more reckless because of a false sense of safety.
                          I would assume that it would be like the AHL where to prevent further facial injuries a cage/full shield can be worn for a few games.

Or, they'll be able to attach that stupid jaw guard that leaves a puck sized gap between it and the visor.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Is there data that suggests full face shields lead to more concussions and/or spinal injuries? For those who suggest that they do, what is the mechanism that causes the increase in these injuries? Is it simply increased recklessness on the part of the players, or does it have to do with a full face shield dispersing the energy from a hit to the head differently than a half shield? I have never heard it alleged that a full face shield is more dangerous so I am curious what the reason is for a half shield being safer than a full shield.

I think the NCAA should do whatever is safest for the student athletes, regardless of what the other leagues do. If it means losing some recruits to other leagues, so be it.
                            #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                              If that is true the no face shield would make players the least reckless.

Comment

Working...
                              X