PDA

View Full Version : WIAC schools to pull out a year earlier than originally planned

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

joeyc3402
04-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already

Originally scheduled after the 2013 ~ 2014 season, the WIAC schools decided to pull out a year earlier, after 2012 ~ 2013.

D3hockey.com release (http://d3hockey.com/releases/men/120424-wiac-ncha-to-split-a-year-earlier-than-expected)

The good news is that we as fans don't have to wait as long to see what's going to happen....

NorthernLite
04-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Given the recent announcement of A.J. Aitken's move to lead Marian's hockey program, and with SNC alum Mike Szkodinski heading the Lawrence program, perhaps the MCHA would be an attractive alternative for SNC to consider.

NorthernPike
04-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Or maybe it is atrractive for some MCHA teams to join the NCHA. After all the NCHA has a longer history and greater name recognition, which could help all in recruiting.

NUProf
04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Or maybe it is atrractive for some MCHA teams to join the NCHA. After all the NCHA has a longer history and greater name recognition, which could help all in recruiting. Remember, the NCHA has only two schools left - It might be feasible to merge the two and name the merged league the NCHA, just like America West bought out US Airways and took the better known name of the two.

goalcoach70
04-24-2012, 06:13 PM
What a great add if St Norberts and St Scholastica could be brought into the MCHA. Not a bad fit geographically - with Northland and Finlandia not far from Duluth. It would definitely increase the the credibility of the MCHA (or NCHA - I don't really care what they call it!) I would hope it was an add of the two together - only some teams joining would probably kill the programs left out. For D3 as a whole, we want to keep as many teams as possible. Adrian in the south division and St. Norberts in the north would make for some interesting playoff matchups.....

MW49
04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
There are several positive vibes along Hwy. 41 among that crowd (SNC, Marian, & LU). Add to that, Peterson leaving LU and going to SNC with no hard feelings there. Looks like the 'cheese' just got more binding.;)
Ok, I'll take a 5 minute major for that one.

The addition of SNC and SSC would be fantastic no matter what you'll call the league. It makes the Conference a solid 10.

Tucker6
04-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Explain to me why in the world would the MCHA want SNC in their league? Why would they just hand the AQ to a team that is about 60-1-1 (don't know the exact numbers) against the MCHA? IMHO SNC either abides by the WIAC set of rules or they play as an independent, its the only thing that makes sense.

Hammer
04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
The rest of the MCHA has a similar record against Adrian.

If SNC tries to play as an independent, that's the equivalent of putting a needle into that program. Ask the 6 MCHA teams that played together before Adrian started just how things were going. The conference is on its way up. SNC would be a great addition to the league, forcing them as a whole to raise their programs even further.

There's a reason the Wisconsin schools are doing what they are doing. I'm just not sure what it is yet, and I don't think I believe the story they've put out. They also need two more schools to go along with them, or they're committing mass suicide by playing in a 5-team conference.

collegehcky2
04-24-2012, 09:45 PM
It's better to pull out early, rather than late.

...anyone?

I'll take a lap.

Hammer
04-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Eh, what the hell. It's the offseason. You're all right.

Hammer
04-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Let me ask everyone this:

If the WIAC schools take both St. Scholastica and SNC, and play as a 7 team conference, then what was the point of all this?

Sir Nubs
04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Explain to me why in the world would the MCHA want SNC in their league?

I'm guessing because the MCHA doesn't mind the competition. Unlike certain schools who obviously can't stand the fact they've gotten their arse handed to them by an unlike institution for the last 15 years.

Hammer
04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm guessing because the MCHA doesn't mind the competition. Unlike certain schools who obviously can't stand the fact they've gotten their arse handed to them by an unlike institution for the last 15 years.

And I'll tell you what. If you come into our conference and hand us our asses for 15 years, we've done a poor job of adjusting along the line. MSOE made their adjustment this year with regards to Adrian. Others will as well, sooner or later. If SNC comes into the league, other adjustments are going to be necessary by everyone.

NUProf
04-24-2012, 10:22 PM

If the WIAC schools take both St. Scholastica and SNC, and play as a 7 team conference, then what was the point of all this?

My guess is that they are hoping to rope in a couple of different MCHA schools that are willing to go along with them, but not beat them.

joecct
04-24-2012, 10:29 PM

If the WIAC schools take both St. Scholastica and SNC, and play as a 7 team conference, then what was the point of all this?It becomes a multisport conference which is something the NCAA loves as opposed to single sports conferences like the NCHA and Hockey East.

Dennis4896
04-25-2012, 10:45 AM

I think it has to do with both simplifying the governance process and saving money.

The NCHA consists of schools from five different conferences plus an independent, so getting everyone and their conferences on board with decisions is cumbersome at best. Of course, it also gives the WIAC more control of the decisions.

Cost savings would come in two forms: annual conference fees and travel. The NCHA has 18 teams (7 men + 11 women), and I assume each pays the conference an equal annual fee. There are nine UW teams in the NCHA (5 men + 4 women), so the UW teams are paying half the annual fees of the NCHA - mostly for things that duplicate what the WIAC already has in place as an all-sports conference (i.e., commissioner, publicity director, administrative staff, etc.). In effect, the UW schools are already paying annual fees to the WIAC, so the hockey fees can be eliminated. Furthermore, if CSS and SNC join WIAC as associates for hockey, presumably they will pay WIAC fees for this, which can then be used to fill the one position the WIAC will need to add - coordinator of hockey officials.

Since WIAC men's hockey would have the same seven teams as NCHA men's hockey, any travel savings would be on the women's side - primarily by eliminating the long trips to Adrian, Lake Forest, Concordia, etc. Without the long trips, Stout may be willing to promote their women's club team to varsity, giving the women the exact same conference footprint as the men. (I'm completely speculating about Stout's women's club team, but I note they had a very successful season.)

AVFC
04-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Who the hell knows, but my money is on the status quo.

PrezdeJohnson09
04-25-2012, 11:28 AM
I think it has to do with both simplifying the governance process and saving money.

The NCHA consists of schools from five different conferences plus an independent, so getting everyone and their conferences on board with decisions is cumbersome at best. Of course, it also gives the WIAC more control of the decisions.

Cost savings would come in two forms: annual conference fees and travel. The NCHA has 18 teams (7 men + 11 women), and I assume each pays the conference an equal annual fee. There are nine UW teams in the NCHA (5 men + 4 women), so the UW teams are paying half the annual fees of the NCHA - mostly for things that duplicate what the WIAC already has in place as an all-sports conference (i.e., commissioner, publicity director, administrative staff, etc.). In effect, the UW schools are already paying annual fees to the WIAC, so the hockey fees can be eliminated. Furthermore, if CSS and SNC join WIAC as associates for hockey, presumably they will pay WIAC fees for this, which can then be used to fill the one position the WIAC will need to add - coordinator of hockey officials.

Since WIAC men's hockey would have the same seven teams as NCHA men's hockey, any travel savings would be on the women's side - primarily by eliminating the long trips to Adrian, Lake Forest, Concordia, etc. Without the long trips, Stout may be willing to promote their women's club team to varsity, giving the women the exact same conference footprint as the men. (I'm completely speculating about Stout's women's club team, but I note they had a very successful season.)

Can the WIAC schools also regulate rules that all conference members must abide by?

So for instance, can they possibly limit St. Norbert and St. Scholastica program resources a little bit so that they are more in line with what the rest of the Wisconsin state schools are putting in?

pete99race
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Can the WIAC schools also regulate rules that all conference members must abide by?

So for instance, can they possibly limit St. Norbert and St. Scholastica program resources a little bit so that they are more in line with what the rest of the Wisconsin state schools are putting in?
I would doubt that SNC would join the WIAC if there was any stipulation/ceiling on $ support for the hockey program.
With all of the time and effort extended to get this program where it is today, taking a step backwards makes no sense to me....

Dennis4896
04-25-2012, 01:00 PM

As a well-established all-sports conference, the WIAC probably already has some rules in place with which SNC and CSS will have to comply - just as WIAC associate members in other sports must - but I doubt they would make any new hockey-specific rules. If they tried, SNC and CSS could just move to the MCHA, and any way you look at it, that would have negative consequences for the WIAC, at least in the near term.