NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA era Program rankings-accomplishments only

Where are the bonus points for winning the DQ Cup?

And I'm sorry, did Dubbs call something someone else did a waste of time?
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
      what is worse... wasting time by creating formulas to rank teams or wasting time by complaining about those formulas?
      the correct answer is B, complaining . i like reading these things and it's something to discuss and have fun with when the season is over. If some will consider that instead of hijacking the thread it would be more entertaining. FS23 deserves credit here rather than grief

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Either way, this is getting this thread wayyyyy too far off track. I like your formula for the most part, and I think it does a solid job of ranking teams based on their on-ice accomplishments, which is what I believe you were going for.
        That what I was going for. I do think if your doing a more subjective and exhaustive ranking that encompasses the entire history of college hockey, then all pre-NCAA successes are very relevant. However, it is much more difficult to research and determine the legitimacy of various conference and national title claims. I felt that the NCAA era was an appropriate time frame that gave the most solid numbers and is the time at which most fans look the closest.
        SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
        UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
        Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
        Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
        UMD Football: 2008, 2010
        UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Just curious, and excuse my not knowing, but I've been wondering where and when Brock Hall comes into the picture concerning college hockey. I've tried looking around (Google and so on) and can't come up with much information other than a hall at the University of Connecticut. Was Brock Hall a club team at UConn back in the 40s and then competed in an AAU championship? Thanks for the info...
          NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Originally posted by aygwm2 View Post
            Just curious, and excuse my not knowing, but I've been wondering where and when Brock Hall comes into the picture concerning college hockey. I've tried looking around (Google and so on) and can't come up with much information other than a hall at the University of Connecticut. Was Brock Hall a club team at UConn back in the 40s and then competed in an AAU championship? Thanks for the info...
            I think that Brock Hall was not a college hockey team. The AAU was a national amateur tournament, not a college tournament. College teams are, of course, amateur (technically) and Minnesota just happened to play in, and win, that tournament in 1940.
            SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
            UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
            Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
            Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
            UMD Football: 2008, 2010
            UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
              Illinois used fortune magazines for shinpads.
              We hosted a Russian team for a youth tournament when I was growing up. Many of them didn't have shoulder pads and used rolled up newspaper for shin pads. They destroyed everyone on the way to running away with the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                I think that Brock Hall was not a college hockey team. The AAU was a national amateur tournament, not a college tournament. College teams are, of course, amateur (technically) and Minnesota just happened to play in, and win, that tournament in 1940.
                Right, I understand the Amateur Athletic Union (I swam AAU back in the 70s). And I realize that Brock Hall was not a college hockey team. I guess my question wasn't very clear. What I was wondering was more along the lines of what Brock Hall is or was. Was/is it a prep school out East (Connecticut)? Was it a club team at UConn? Do they still exist? Why would Minnesota, as a University program, care whether they had won an AAU championship against Brock Hall back in the 40s? Thanks in advance...
                NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

Right, I understand the Amateur Athletic Union (I swam AAU back in the 70s). And I realize that Brock Hall was not a college hockey team. I guess my question wasn't very clear. What I was wondering was more along the lines of what Brock Hall is or was. Was/is it a prep school out East (Connecticut)? Was it a club team at UConn? Do they still exist? Why would Minnesota, as a University program, care whether they had won an AAU championship against Brock Hall back in the 40s? Thanks in advance...
                  Because Minnesota had a perfect 18-0 season in 1940 that culminated in the AAU Championship.

That year, they beat Michigan 9-2, 5-2, 7-0, 5-0
                  They beat Michigan Tech 9-1, 8-0, 7-1, 9-1
                  They beat Yale 3-0, 7-2
                  They beat Illinois 8-2, 10-2, 9-1, 9-2
                  Last edited by JDUBBS1280; 04-14-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                    We hosted a Russian team for a youth tournament when I was growing up. Many of them didn't have shoulder pads and used rolled up newspaper for shin pads. They destroyed everyone on the way to running away with the tournament.
                    Minnesota tournament, right?

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                      Minnesota tournament, right?
                      The tournament was in Minnesota, yes, but there were quite a few out of state teams and the Russian team there. Fun playing against the Russians. Very nice people too.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                        The tournament was in Minnesota, yes, but there were quite a few out of state teams and the Russian team there. Fun playing against the Russians. Very nice people too.
                        I would've thought rather than taking the ice, you'd just forfeit the game to avoid playing a team that didn't have any tradition.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

what is worse... wasting time by creating formulas to rank teams or wasting time by complaining about those formulas?
                          I have developed a formula for ranking formulas that rank college hockey teams. One criteria is what JDubbs thinks of it but I don't want to give away too much. Rankings coming out soon...
                          Bottom Line: If you deserve to win the national championship then don't worry about who you play, when, and where. Just keep winning.
                          Exception: You are right about the refs. They, no doubt, have it in for <insert your team name here>!

Comment

Woohoo! We're #36!!
                            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

You mean the Pairwise?
                              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Why would Minnesota, as a University program, care whether they had won an AAU championship against Brock Hall back in the 40s? Thanks in advance...
                                I think it is because 7>5
                                “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                                Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                                Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                                National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X