NCAA Hockey - Who's Making $$$, Who's Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Hockey - Who's Making $$$, Who's Not

After posting some BigTen financial numbers on USCHO.com this afternoon that added 2010 figures, I decided to see what all of MEN'S college hockey did for 2010. So I decided to get those numbers and see what they looked like. I got the numbers from the Equity in Athletics website by the Department of Education. You can find that site here: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

So I have the overall numbers. Then current conference numbers. Then just for fun I rearranged the conference numbers to show what it will look like in 2013 when everything changes.

Some notes on the numbers:
    - This is just fun project I wanted to do. I can't officially tell you that the numbers are spot on. So don't complain to me about it. I am just giving you the numbers that I pulled from the website.

- I have no idea how or why many schools break EXACTLY even. Maybe they are just playing with the numbers or something. I really don't know. All I can do is just post the numbers I have.

- Two hockey schools do not provide numbers. Those 2 are Air Force and Army. I am guessing it has something to do with them being Military schools.

- I pulled what they call the 2010 numbers. Those are the most recent numbers available. Now I have no way of know exactly the time period for them. Are they calendar year 2010 numbers? OR are they 2009-10 school year numbers. I just don't know.

Some of my observations:
    - There is little doubt that Minnesota is the big dog when it comes to money in college hockey. No one is close to them. MN made more than 3x the profit on the next closest team UND in 2010. They keep there expenses low for such a huge program and then knock it out of the park with revenue. It will be interesting to see how far the gap widens in future years with the new seating costs coming.

- The current WCHA is the KING. Profiting $9.5 million in 2010. Hockey East is the closest competitor with $1.9 million. The CCHA is getting killed by MSU, OSU and ND.

- The future WCHA will be a complete joke. The B1G and NCHC will be making all the money and Hockey East will take a hit adding Notre Dame if they can't turn their numbers around. I am guessing that with a new rink, those Notre Dame numbers will change quickly.

View Numbers

What are your thoughts and observations?

Re: NCAA Hockey - Who's Making $$$, Who's Not

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
    After posting some BigTen financial numbers on USCHO.com this afternoon that added 2010 figures, I decided to see what all of MEN'S college hockey did for 2010. So I decided to get those numbers and see what they looked like. I got the numbers from the Equity in Athletics website by the Department of Education. You can find that site here: http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

So I have the overall numbers. Then current conference numbers. Then just for fun I rearranged the conference numbers to show what it will look like in 2013 when everything changes.

Some notes on the numbers:
    - This is just fun project I wanted to do. I can't officially tell you that the numbers are spot on. So don't complain to me about it. I am just giving you the numbers that I pulled from the website.

- I have no idea how or why many schools break EXACTLY even. Maybe they are just playing with the numbers or something. I really don't know. All I can do is just post the numbers I have.

- Two hockey schools do not provide numbers. Those 2 are Air Force and Army. I am guessing it has something to do with them being Military schools.

- I pulled what they call the 2010 numbers. Those are the most recent numbers available. Now I have no way of know exactly the time period for them. Are they calendar year 2010 numbers? OR are they 2009-10 school year numbers. I just don't know.

Some of my observations:
    - There is little doubt that Minnesota is the big dog when it comes to money in college hockey. No one is close to them. MN made more than 3x the profit on the next closest team UND in 2010. They keep there expenses low for such a huge program and then knock it out of the park with revenue. It will be interesting to see how far the gap widens in future years with the new seating costs coming.

- The current WCHA is the KING. Profiting $9.5 million in 2010. Hockey East is the closest competitor with $1.9 million. The CCHA is getting killed by MSU, OSU and ND.

- The future WCHA will be a complete joke. The B1G and NCHC will be making all the money and Hockey East will take a hit adding Notre Dame if they can't turn their numbers around. I am guessing that with a new rink, those Notre Dame numbers will change quickly.

View Numbers

What are your thoughts and observations?
    My thoughts are that I wonder why the *cough cough* great state of hockey can not be as fiscally responsible as it's flagship D1 hockey program.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
      My thoughts are that I wonder why the *cough cough* great state of hockey can not be as fiscally responsible as it's flagship D1 hockey program.
      Maybe we just need to find oil.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
        That just proves more need to look to the program to emulate it. Look to Gopher hockey and all your problems will be solved.

Seriously though, with all the bickering going on you want to start this whole thing? Lame.

Comment

I don't trust those numbers.

(1) The revenue numbers might be reasonably accurate (although I suspect that each school has a different way of calculating revenues), but the expenses are all over the place. I simply don't buy the idea that Wisconsin spends more than twice as much on its hockey program as Minnesota. Why? Where are those 2 million dollars being spent in Madison that aren't being spent in Minneapolis?

(2) If even one school had exactly the same revenue and expenses, it would be an amazing coincidence. However, if you look at the chart, 23 of the 56 schools list revenues and expenses the same down to the last dollar! How did BC know to spend exactly $3,702,040 on their hockey program? Amazing how they nailed that guess...too bad Denver went $1 over!

The numbers that schools report are going to be self-serving, and there is no way to ensure that they are calculated in the same way (or even a remotely similar way).

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

I sure hope Minnesota didn't make any of their revenue from out-of-state sources!

How could anyone envy something like that?
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Alton View Post

(1) The revenue numbers might be reasonably accurate (although I suspect that each school has a different way of calculating revenues), but the expenses are all over the place. I simply don't buy the idea that Wisconsin spends more than twice as much on its hockey program as Minnesota. Why? Where are those 2 million dollars being spent in Madison that aren't being spent in Minneapolis?

(2) If even one school had exactly the same revenue and expenses, it would be an amazing coincidence. However, if you look at the chart, 23 of the 56 schools list revenues and expenses the same down to the last dollar! How did BC know to spend exactly $3,702,040 on their hockey program? Amazing how they nailed that guess...too bad Denver went $1 over!

The numbers that schools report are going to be self-serving, and there is no way to ensure that they are calculated in the same way (or even a remotely similar way).
              Agree with this but JDUBBS is just reporting the numbers that were found.

For example UNH Hockey has long supported the atheletic department. Somehow UNH is moving funds from hockey to the deparment in general and poof no profit.
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

My guess is it has something to do with the KC. You got to pay people to convert it to ice and back. With how often that happens, it could add up quickly. That and all the paint thinner they have to provide for players' post game parties. Those two facts alone could easily be 1-2 million.

Comment

Notre Dame made less in revenue than American International?

.....................the hell?
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

EZ$C?

Comment

My observation ..... There is creative bookkeeping plus and minus at most of those universities

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                        My guess is it has something to do with the KC. You got to pay people to convert it to ice and back. With how often that happens, it could add up quickly. That and all the paint thinner they have to provide for players' post game parties. Those two facts alone could easily be 1-2 million.
                        No--it's the diapers for the Minnesota players.

Comment

(2) If even one school had exactly the same revenue and expenses, it would be an amazing coincidence. However, if you look at the chart, 23 of the 56 schools list revenues and expenses the same down to the last dollar! How did BC know to spend exactly $3,702,040 on their hockey program? Amazing how they nailed that guess...too bad Denver went $1 over!.
                          So this means that BC wins the showcase showdown and gets both showcass?

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
                            So this means that BC wins the showcase showdown and gets both showcass?
                            No, because 22 other schools ALSO were exactly correct in spending the exact amount they reported as income.

Creative bookkeeping makes this report practically useless. Unless you wanted to know that the University of Minnesota openly admits that Hockey keeps their other sports programs afloat. Or that Football keeps the Notre Dame hockey program afloat.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Again, the numbers are what the schools reported to the government. I don't know how each school got the numbers they reported.

Comment

Working...
                              X